Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,495,899 times

Advertisements

VIENNA, Va. -- A Vienna, Va., man was arrested for allegedly going too far to protect his squirrelly friend. Police said they caught him red-handed.

Thomas R. Shepler, 65, of Locust Street, was arrested for discharging a firearm in a public place and cruelty to animals after he shot and killed a hawk in his yard, police said.

Animal Lover Kills Hawk to Save Squirrel - News- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29105073/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:35 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,146,000 times
Wow.

Just yesterday, they had the Seinfeld episode where Kramer had the Merv Griffen set in his apartment. He had Jack Hanna in there with a hawk, and then George came in with a squirrel and the hawk attacked

Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,717,832 times
This violates the natural order. I don't see how you can kill top predator to protect a rodent. Doesn't make sense.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,594,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This violates the natural order. I don't see how you can kill top predator to protect a rodent. Doesn't make sense.
id wouldve killed a bear to protect my cat. this was his pet. im guessing you didnt read the article?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,717,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
id wouldve killed a bear to protect my cat. this was his pet. im guessing you didnt read the article?
I read the article. He named the squirrell "Oedipus." He's crazy.

I think I could possibly justify shooting a man to protect my dog, so I understand your sentiment towards a cat. However, dogs and cats have a measurable personality and they actually give you something in return for your stewardship. Rodents not so much.

On a personal level, a raptor is such a beautiful and fascinating animal and a squirrel is such a ubiquitous bottom rung of the food chain that I just can't fathom intervening on behalf of the rodent.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,446,616 times
i guess it just comes down to personal preference. unfortunately for him, his personal preference is federally restricted.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,696,634 times
lol....well he shoulda kept or gotten the squirrel inside if it was his pet. The Hawk was doing what it needed to do to survive. Not saying the guy should face punishment but if you live around hawks you should keep your small pets inside.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:08 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,527,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
VIENNA, Va. -- A Vienna, Va., man was arrested for allegedly going too far to protect his squirrelly friend. Police said they caught him red-handed.

Thomas R. Shepler, 65, of Locust Street, was arrested for discharging a firearm in a public place and cruelty to animals after he shot and killed a hawk in his yard, police said.

Animal Lover Kills Hawk to Save Squirrel - News- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29105073/ - broken link)
OMG. Better not try anything sensible in Northern Virginia. Down here in the southwest part of the state you could probably get by with it.

But damn. I'd shoot the squirrels first. They're the ones who are climbing in my shed through the gables and making a mess.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM

563 posts, read 1,445,820 times
In most states it's illegal to shoot a raptor, as in hawk, eagle, owl, falcon, harrier, etc., and possess their feathers, claws or other parts. He may get in trouble for thast, too, before it's all over.
In most states, it's legal to hunt squirrels. LOL!
Poor dude was just protecting his pal.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,922,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
However, dogs and cats have a measurable personality and they actually give you something in return for your stewardship. Rodents not so much.

I'd argue that point with you. I had a hedgehog (considered a rodent to most) and she had as big a personality as my cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets