Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

the whole thing is just so tragic, just cant believe it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
honestly I can't stop thinking about this situation...

now i have a damn headache...

don't know why i did this but i searched for "chimp attack"

BONE CHILLING

over 4 mins of 911 tape of sreaming...
i do not recommend listening, unless of course you already have, i should not have either as this is bothering me greatly but then again i could not take my eyes/ears off...

the friend, they say went there to "try to help calm the chimp"
and to also bring him back in as "he had used a key to escape"

t
here is even a video of the "owner" speaking about it and said never used xanax, it was a "friends" bottle...
she said they slept together every night, and that the whole house was for him... Really, the house was for him, a house, I mean A HOUSE, Hello, wild animal here, needs the need, at least a sanctuary...

i just really can't explain how i feel. i think i should give this post a rest for now.

oooo i have such a headache...
HOW WAS THIS ALLOWED in the 1st place......!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
I have one question...okay, several..if she kept that large an animal, why didn't she have a tranq. gun or some weapon just in case?
By her own admission because she had raised the chimp from a very young age, he was like a family member to her. Toilet trained, socially active, he learned an incredible amount of basics including even learning to drive and according to several media reports which I'm not sure whether to believe or not, did what several teenagers do and stole the car. THAT one I take with a grain of salt but don't dismiss it ...

Apparently well known in the Stamford, CT community in which they lived, he was quite a regular on the local scene and was as close to a human as any animal can get and she considered him like a son after so many years.

When she saw him attacking her friend she rushed to her friend's aid and repeatedly stabbed her"son," and called 911. I can't begin to imagine how she must have felt plunging a carving knife into what she thought of as her "son."

There was a wonderful recent HBO special about big cats and I don't unfortunately remember the name of it. Cat Dance or Cat Dancing? It was quite a story about a couple who came together, used tigers in their dance routines way before Siegfried and Roy but whose destiny resulted in complete tragedy - as did Siegfried and Roy's.

Chimps have been used for countless years as experimental animals in labs all over the world solely because their genetic make-up IS so similar to that of humans.

I don't know why this particular chimp suddenly ran amok and neither do any posters on this forum unless they have some particular insight. Who knows why a seemingly normal human teenager all of a sudden goes berserk and takes out students and faculty?

I can foretell that the analogy won't go well with some but - oh well - I'm tired and the next day is just another! Cheers!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
How could she hide it, how did she hide him?

Oh, that's right, he never left the house...
Yes he did. A woman was on tv who had been bitten by the chimp some time before this happened. She tried to get the owner to pay her hospital cost when the bite broke the skin but she didn't try to sue her or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
honestly I can't stop thinking about this situation...

Me too. I had a hard time falling asleep and went to sleep thinking about it and praying for the woman and woke up at 1am thinking about it. That's why I'm up now. Couldn't stop thinking about it. If that's true about her eyes and jaw--I haven't read much b'c I'm afraid of running into more details--why are they putting her through this? No eyes, face, jaw, hands, I mean c'mon! This seems so inhumane to me. She's been through enough. I'd be inconsolable and hysterical if it were my loved one and they were trying to save them in this condition.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:55 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
I was doing some research last night. It's well known that male chimpanzees are prone to this sort of violent and unpredictable behavior to members outside of their family.

They are very vicious in their attacks, going after the hands and face and testicles. (In the St. James attack, the chimps chewed off his testes.) Plus they are incredibly strong and have sharp teeth!

Here's another example:

http://monkeydaynews.blogspot.com/20...tal-chimp.html

Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Jane Goodall writes about chimps:

"I had known aggression could flare up, sometimes for seemingly trivial reasons; chimpanzees are volatile by nature, yet for the most part aggression within the community is more bluster and threat than fierce fighting -- a whole lot of "sound and fury signifying nothing." Then suddenly we found that chimpanzees could be brutal -- that they, like us, had a dark side to their nature.
"

Here's the full article:
Salon People | Jane Goodall: The hopeful messenger

Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
I used to watch all Jane's ventures with the chimps. It was very interesting, sometimes, heartbreaking. I saw one where a couple of chimps went on a murdering spree, stealing and killing other chimps babies. I quit watching after that. They didn't show it, I don't think but just finding that out about them did something. Made me realize these are just wild animals, not possible pets. I love and respect all animals but some stories are too hard to take.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 PM

331 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I live in CT.
It is awful. Owning a wild animal (chimp) is illegal in CT but i've been told that THIS chimp was grandfathered in since the woman has owned it for about 20 years.
The owner is 77 years old and got the pet after her daughter died in a car accident. She was a widow as well and she was lonely.

I agree though, their is NO reason for this animal to be living in a home with a human, she should have gotten a dog.
I've heard the woman's face and BOTH hands were eaten off. She's still in critical condition.
A local radio station here in Iowa has been talking about this incident all week long. I definitely agree that there are certain animals that should not be kept as pets, such as Chimpanzees, Tigers, crocodiles, etc. Anything 'exotic'. From the clips the station had aired, the woman acts as if the Chimp was her child, spoiled it rotten (more like killing it) with filet mingon, lobster tail, wine, he has even gotten into her car, and drove it (i am not kidding!) anyway, she hasn't mentioned a single word about feeling any kind of sympathy for her 'friend', it's all about the chimp

Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
I'm fine with my 2 cats and 1 dog. I love them. No chimps for me thanks!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
A local radio station here in Iowa has been talking about this incident all week long. I definitely agree that there are certain animals that should not be kept as pets, such as Chimpanzees, Tigers, crocodiles, etc. Anything 'exotic'. From the clips the station had aired, the woman acts as if the Chimp was her child, spoiled it rotten (more like killing it) with filet mingon, lobster tail, wine, he has even gotten into her car, and drove it (i am not kidding!) anyway, she hasn't mentioned a single word about feeling any kind of sympathy for her 'friend', it's all about the chimp
Yeah, I think some people go overboard with those things. I deleted my previous post as I thought it was a bit harsh, but really yes, exotic animals are a rediculous pastime. I know of someone who raised a gator from a few inches to full grown at about 8 ft. long. He kept it in a bathtub and finally had to take it to a gator farm or risk getting his homeowners insurance cancelled. Gators can be very dangerous. They are not the most agressive animal, but once "gatored" the victim is pretty helpless because the gator is so powerful.

Well I know the old saying "What you need is a good hobby" is good advice, but here is another one-Choose your hobbies carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets