U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,547,356 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable! I hope the owner does some serious time for this. I am sick and tired of reading about innocent people being injured or killed because of moronic, irresponsible pet owners.

FOXNews.com - 911 Call Released in Horrific Chimpanzee Attack - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 AM

2,786 posts, read 9,116,775 times
I live in CT.
It is awful. Owning a wild animal (chimp) is illegal in CT but i've been told that THIS chimp was grandfathered in since the woman has owned it for about 20 years.
The owner is 77 years old and got the pet after her daughter died in a car accident. She was a widow as well and she was lonely.

I agree though, their is NO reason for this animal to be living in a home with a human, she should have gotten a dog.
I've heard the woman's face and BOTH hands were eaten off. She's still in critical condition.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 AM

543 posts, read 2,150,513 times
What a terrible tragedy. For the life of me, I can't figure out why people feel the need to own animals such as these. Yes, they are adorable. However, chimps are known to show aggression in the wild. What makes someone think that they can bring one into their home, play with it, and think that they can somehow curb the natural aggressive behavior?

Plus, their strength is off the chain!

Poor victim........

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 47,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I live in CT.
It is awful. Owning a wild animal (chimp) is illegal in CT but i've been told that THIS chimp was grandfathered in since the woman has owned it for about 20 years.
The owner is 77 years old and got the pet after her daughter died in a car accident. She was a widow as well and she was lonely.

I agree though, their is NO reason for this animal to be living in a home with a human, she should have gotten a dog.
Moderator cut: trolling and off topic

Quote:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people feel the need to own animals such as these. Yes, they are adorable. However, chimps are known to show aggression in the wild. What makes someone think that they can bring one into their home, play with it, and think that they can somehow curb the natural aggressive behavior?
THis is an awful tradgedy. Caring other types of animals is a way of life that most people with a dog or cat- would not understand! The day I would no longer be allowed to keep my primates- would be the day that kills me.

Last edited by leorah; 02-18-2009 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Off topic, inflammatory

Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
miu

17,152 posts, read 34,662,772 times
What an awful story. I read it last night. When I read about the chimp acting "rambunctous", I wondered if he was neutered or still intact. I remember reading that the chimp in the Tarzan tv show liked the Tarzan actor but was mean to Jane. Also after watching both Jane Goodall's chimp documentaries, I just can't see the appeal in owning one.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,076,918 times
She probably should not have had a 200-pound chimp that wears diapers as a pet. Very sad.

Reminds me of what happened to this guy in 2005. Only he was attacked by not his own, but other chimps who were jealous and got out of their cages. His own beloved chimp watched on with horror as his "father" was mutilated.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1

Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 AM

767 posts, read 2,004,509 times
The world is full of nuts. Some of them are certified.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:28 PM

70 posts, read 154,744 times
if u have seen her interview with ABC news, she is totally abnormal, with previous traumatic life events, though i feel sorry for her , they should file charges against her

Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM

4,133 posts, read 13,321,847 times
I was wondering about whether he was neutered as well but did hear he had Lyme's disease which can make them aggressive. The tape was awful and I feel for the poor woman as well as the owner. I thought I heard that she had no permit for the chimp b/c she convinced them he was so docile (and apparently he was, way back when). Just very sad for everyone, I would imagine there will be a big lawsuit if her friend pulls thru.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:12 PM

2,786 posts, read 9,116,775 times
She's abnormal? I havn't heard that and i would assume my new is covering it moreso then others since i'm in state. All i heard was that she is a widow and lost her daughter in an auto accident. Not sure how that makes her abnormal? Or did you hear something that i didnt??
To be honest i think she paid a high enough price, she lost her monkey friend and her other friend if she survives will be completely disfigured, thats enough to live with, not to mention their will now be a law against owning these pets so surely she wont be allowed one again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or