Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,524,098 times

Advertisements

I always feel like the animal shelters are like "big brother" When we got our first cat from the shelter, they wanted us sign a form pledging to spay the kitten within six months. I thanked them and told them I would spay the cat if and when I felt like it. Then later, we inquired about a kitten in a newspaper ad. Well it turns out the other party was one of these animal rights environmentalist nuts. I'm sure you know the type. She fits the profile perfectly: a woman in her late 40s, salt and pepper hair put up in a bun, no makeup, unmarried (possibly lesbian), drives a Subaru.

She was going to make us sign a contract giving her the right to periodically come in and check on the kitten, with the proviso that she could take it back, should she not approve. I told her to put that contract where the sun don't shine, and that is was none of her damn business what we did. We ended up getting a cat from another ad, no strings attached.

Invariably these people are far-left lunatic hypocrites who have no problem with a human baby being aborted.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:11 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,519,909 times
5 million animals are euthanized a year...there is a reason for contractual spay and neuter requirements. Sorry you don't see the need for such an important task...sigh. Moderator cut: unnecessary-too personal

Last edited by leorah; 02-22-2009 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,758,163 times
I know people who don't spay cats. Mine is neutered, but the only other cat he ever comes into contact is another neutered male.

Some shelters/pounds are too laxed. We tried to take a kitten we found to the nearest pound (next county over). They couldn't take it because it wasn't in their county. Mom said (she wouldn't actually do this) that she would have to dump it on the side of the road. The guy's just like "Ok, but not in our county".

Anyway, I understand the shelter trying to get you to spay the cat. But as long as the cat is kept inside and not around males, you may not need to get it spayed.

The other lady just sounds like a nut. You can try to find the best home for an animal you cannot care for, but it's none of her business. She's not paying you to babysit the cat. Sounds to me like she either needs to keep the cat or let it go.

OP, I appreciate your stance. It is annoying when other people, even well-meaning people, are constantly trying to tell you how to raise your pets. I doubt you'd run into that here. People around here don't usually take pets to the vet unless they're really sick. They're not being cruel. Most of them just don't have the money to take themselves to the doctor or the dentist, but they offer that dog a lot of love and get it medical attention when they can. Actually, my Grandpa used to give his dog Mylanta when his stomach got upset.

One time I saw this ad in the paper: "Free cats. What kind do you want?"

Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,355,887 times
Some of them cross the line IMHO. As for spaying it depends on the situation. If you keep the cat indoors 24.7 and there is no mating opportunities then then there is no need to fix it no matter what they say. If its allowed outside, fix it. Same with dogs.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 AM

985 posts, read 2,594,966 times
I don't understand what this has to do with treating people well. I don't think you were disrespected, both the animal shelter and the woman wanted to make sure you'd be a good owner.. many people aren't. Do you just like to complain?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,355,887 times
Periodic checks at the house and she can take it back if shes not happy with the situation ? You think thats a good scenario kaye02 ? Do you know how many unreasonable people out there who do absolutely everything they can do disagree with you ? Would you want to adopt a cat or any animal from this person ? I think thats what OP was getting at.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:31 AM

985 posts, read 2,594,966 times
BrianH- When I adopted from the humane society a woman came 3 times over a year to make sure the animal was okay. It's, apparently, not out of the norm. Some people adopt animals and then abuse them, sad but true, these provisions are there for a reason. And all animal shelters I know of require spaying/neutering, for the animals protection. Even if it's an indoor cat, in might get out if there's a burglar/fire/ etc. If the OP doesn't like the agreement he doesn't have to take it, plain and simple.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,852,579 times
Whoa......back up there a little bit. I am an animal rights activist and I am NOT Lesbian, not fat, forty and driving a subaru or however you put that and besides...BIG DEAL if a Lesbian wants to be an animal rights activist. YES, you should have the kitten spayed and YES in your own time but be kind to the kitten and get it done at some point.

Why are you so angry at people who care about helpless animals? NO we don't treat animals better than we do people as a matter of fact because we have such a deep capacity to love helpless animals, we also care deeply about people who are in trouble or helpless. If your heart is big enough to care about life, it cares about all life, not just animals.

Take it easy on the stereotyping....it does not show that you have passion for all lifestyles nor all people. The animal activist bashing is very unattractive.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,512,325 times
Pets need to be fixed at 6 months of age, you could wait a few months but why. These people care enough that they want full development of the animal before the neuter. It could be done as little as a week old, but animals will not develop correctly that way.
My wife and I swear that our next dog will come from a shelter, they are rarely intact in shelters.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,519,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Pets need to be fixed at 6 months of age, you could wait a few months but why. These people care enough that they want full development of the animal before the neuter. It could be done as little as a week old, but animals will not develop correctly that way.
My wife and I swear that our next dog will come from a shelter, they are rarely intact in shelters.
I agree with the importance of s/n, but I do have to disagree with waiting till they are 6 months old. That belief is now considered old school. I volunteer at a low cost s/n clinic for people who need financial assistance and meet income requirements. We alter pets as young as 6-8 weeks old (depending upon weight) without any health complications long term due to early s/n.

Here's an article by Richard Allen, DVM at Best Friends in Utah. This link also provides a list of additional articles one can reference for further readings on early s/n. When you read important information as s/n on websites, please make sure you are reading articles and information from licensed veterinarians and not a layperson's opinion. http://www.pbrc.net/misc/juvenilespayneuter.pdf

Last edited by Amazonchix; 02-22-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets