U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,810,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
I use to too. Then I moved to DC and worked for a federal regulatory agency that regulated things all of us use from time to time. I lost all faith in the goodness of humanity *sigh* Part of the reason I stopped feeding my kitties any food with wheat gluten when this all came out. I know that the companies won't issue a recall on their own, and a "voluntary" recall is generally not the company acting proactively.
I've made big changes in terms of what my dogs and cats eat now (moreso the dogs) but to think about not using paper plates, ziploc bags, plastic utensils, the microwavable containers? I am a total believer in making my life easier. I will take due precautions like rinsing and washing meats, chicken, veggies, fruits, stuff like that but I have to find short cuts to my day somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,367,730 times
Just heard this morning on the news that the pet food recall has been expanded! but, there was no detail. Anybody hear more about this?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,732,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Just heard this morning on the news that the pet food recall has been expanded! but, there was no detail. Anybody hear more about this?
It seems they found that the tainted wheat gluten found it's way to Menu's plant in Canada as well http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/04/11/pet.food.recall.ap/ (broken link)

Old 04-20-2007, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 12,707 times
Lightbulb INCORRECT! Melamine is NOT a food additive for pets OR HUMANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annspets4 View Post
I don't push my opinion on anyone but i am a natural when it comes to animals and I like them as do them with me. ... Also melamine is a food additive and may even now be in people food.
NOT to INSULT you...
HOWEVER...
You are INCORRECT, and by posting your opinions as FACT you are MISLEADING others... this IS called "pushing your opinion on" people, and could be dangerous! FURTHER, you dare to surmise melamine could 'already' be used in 'human' food -- a terrible rumour to start without facts to back it up!
IF such a thing were to happen, it would not be deliberately, as a common 'additive', but intentional or unintentional 'tainting' (why by? who knows. careless employees? I doubt it. a disgruntled employye? maybe. Terrorists? I won't even go there....)

Melamine is a "a urea-derived chemical used in plastic", and ABSOLUTELY is NOT to be considered or used as a food additive, no way, no form!
Your remarks that you 'looked at the labels and because you didn't find melamine LISTED you have determined they are safe' is either way out of line or simply ignorant of the facts surrounding melamine in the first place (don't worry, not an insult: MOST OF US don't know the facts about melamine, but most of us wouldn't pretend to be an expert on it, either!).
I actually LAUGHED at that post before I realized you were SERIOUSLY looking for melamine on the contents label. You really need to pay more attention to the news, research the science end of things, gather up information and UNDERSTAND it, first and foremost, before sharing your opinions and assumptions as 'expert'.

PLEASE, as someone heavily involved in pet care, you OWE it to yourself and the people who employ you to better research the facts -- before you make public assumptions and declare your opinion as fact and supported by your 'expert' byline!

Moving along...

Thus far, Nestle-Purina have updated their online FAQ to include this information for anxious pet-owners:

"Updated FAQs – April 19, 2007

Q: Do you use rice protein concentrate in any of your products?

A: * No. Nestlé Purina PetCare Company does not use rice protein concentrate in any of its U.S. or Canadian pet food products.

Q: Do you source any other ingredients from the Chinese supplier of the rice protein concentrate in question?

A: * No.

Q: Where do you source rice used in Purina brand pet foods?

A: * All rice used in Purina brand pet foods is sourced from North America."

My cats eat Kit N Kaboodle. NOT a 'great' dry cat food, but finding one food that ALL of them will enjoy and eat is a tough call. For the moment, I consider my decision 'lucky', as it (Kit N Kaboodle) hasn't turned up on THE LISTS... yet. ;-(

jipsi
NOT an expert, just someone who spends way too much time tracking news, facts vs. rumor, etc. in an attempt to be knowledgeable and keep my kitties SAFE (because the big corporations really don't care about anything but the 'numbers', after all)

Last edited by jipsi; 04-20-2007 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 AM

Well, it seems there's a possibility...they are looking at it to see if it may have gotten into the human food supply... from a report just released:

- The chemical melamine has been found in wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, and corn gluten. So far the tainted corn gluten has been reported only in products in Africa, but it also originated from China and they don't seem to have started testing for melamine in corn gluten in the US yet. Link to news story on S. African recall:
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...101493,00.html (broken link)

- They have info that some of the contaminated ingredients may have been fed to hogs. They are investigating this and if these hogs could have made it into the pet or human food supply.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,810,056 times
Yep Southward... I was just reading that on the MSN homepage and was going to put the link here too. Thanks..

Old 04-20-2007, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,707 times
My point was NOT that it is IMPOSSIBLE, but that it is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE an additive!
The post in question made remarks as to 'checking the label for melamine' (and deciding the food was safe because it wasn't 'listed'); I wanted to make it clear to this person AND the public in general that it's NEVER been, or will be, on a pet food label!

This is a CONTAMINATION issue; whether it's a a deliberate act or accident still remains to be discovered.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,021,654 times
One of our three cats is in renal failure, maybe because we only use the pouches as treats so they only had in about once a week. We found out though that this little girl actually has a congenital defect whereas her right kidney is about the size of a kidney bean and basicly non-functioning. This ofcourse means her chances of renal failure are doubled...we're so sad. She is only 4.

The vet said she was Chronic over a month ago and she is still with us. She's very thin though and will now only eat soft food. Bought a $28 bag of prescription k/d food from petsmart and she won't go near it.

We are just giving her lots of love and peace to bask in the sunshine so she enjoys her life.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,845,869 times
{{{{floridadreamer}}}}

I am so sorry about your precious kitty.
My old girl lived for a good long while with renal failure, maybe yours will too.
::hugs to you and gentle pats for your kitty::

Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 AM

From the NC forum:
North Carolina Hogs are under Quarantine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Health officials are investigating whether humans may have consumed pork from animals that ate feed containing a chemical linked to a recall of pet foods, the Food and Drug Administration said Tuesday.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or