Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Do we want to make bets on when they fess up that the banned ingredients that were then sold for chicken and pig feed went to companies that sell chicken and pork for human consumption?
When an "obscene enough" amount of lawyers are lining up with clients who are going on talk shows, perhaps (like with the tobacco companies). Otherwise, God only knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 06:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Do we want to make bets on when they fess up that the banned ingredients that were then sold for chicken and pig feed went to companies that sell chicken and pork for human consumption?
That would be a losing bet.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18405363/ (broken link)

Old 05-05-2007, 06:56 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
That would be a losing bet.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18405363/ (broken link)
How did I miss that? So for two and a half months... thank goodness we can trust our government to protect us and give us truthful information.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
How did I miss that? So for two and a half months... thank goodness we can trust our government to protect us and give us truthful information.
Here's an update from Bloomberg. They're actually holding 20 million chickens to determine if they've been contaminated. Unbelievable.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...xnQ&refer=home

Old 05-06-2007, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,498 times
does any one know if nunn better dog food or alley cat cat food is on the recall list can't seem to find out any thing.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,955 times
Arrow Trusting Pet Food

The current pet food situation is frightening. I had to find pet food I could trust for my cat. I found out the big name "premium" foods like Iams, Eukanuba & Hills Science were no longer trustworthy, when the big corporations like Proctor and Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive bought out these premium brands and changed the formulas. I would NOT TRUST any of the big commercial pet foods anymore, including Purina. Once you learn about what SHOULD and SHOULD NOT be in your pets food, you wouldn't feed them that stuff with corn and other ingredients they can't even digest. I found a food I really trust, formulated by a holsitic veterinarian (who ironically worked for Iams and Eukanuba to formulate the ORIGINAL formula.) If you want to watch a very interesting video about pet food and learn what to look for in a pet food, go to this website, familypetfood.com. In any case, feed your pet holistic food you have read ingredients throughly on (and know what you are looking for!) or make it yourself if you can be sure you are adding all the nutrients your pet needs, but stay AWAY from supermarket pet food!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,955 times
Exclamation FDA recall list

I forgot to post this for the person asking if their food was recalled, it's the official FDA site with a searchable database:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times
I used to work in the veterinary field as an assistant and was always interested in pet nutrition and all the different pet foods out there. I always made a point to ask the owners of older pets that had lived to be 17-20 yrs old what they fed them... and I always got the same response..."just the cheap stuff"
I know that the expensive pet food has been booming lately but my dogs have never done well with it. And I've tried them all! It's hard for them to digest all those fruits and veggies.
I'm not saying all cheap stuff is ok. Definitly stay away from the BHT/BHA preservatives. They are proven to cause cancer. But it gives us something to think about. I think it's another form of media using scare tactics to buy their products. Also in all my research...I found out that the company that makes Nunn Better , ProPac and Earthbound pet food has NEVER had a recall. Food for thought.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alspaw25 View Post
I used to work in the veterinary field as an assistant and was always interested in pet nutrition and all the different pet foods out there. I always made a point to ask the owners of older pets that had lived to be 17-20 yrs old what they fed them... and I always got the same response..."just the cheap stuff"
I know that the expensive pet food has been booming lately but my dogs have never done well with it. And I've tried them all! It's hard for them to digest all those fruits and veggies.
I'm not saying all cheap stuff is ok. Definitly stay away from the BHT/BHA preservatives. They are proven to cause cancer. But it gives us something to think about. I think it's another form of media using scare tactics to buy their products. Also in all my research...I found out that the company that makes Nunn Better , ProPac and Earthbound pet food has NEVER had a recall. Food for thought.
Some cheap stuff is better than others - read the labels!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 AM

93 posts, read 258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Here is the complete list of pet foods recalled by Menu Foods (who manufactures a great deal of cat and dog food for many brand names).

Cat food: http://menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

Dog food: http://menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

At this time, it is my understanding that these foods are limited to canned and pouch-type foods.

There are some big names on the lists as well as store brands so please take a long look and take precautions. My little dog loves Publix brand food and will not eat anything else. They are on the list. I still have some of the food here, and it is going in the trash. Better safe than sorry! I was just at Publix yesterday to get more dog food, and there were no cans on the shelves. When I asked the woman straightening shelves where the dog food was, she said they ran out. After going online and seeing the dog food list, I would have appreciated Publix informing their employees and/or posting signs concerning same for those of us who were unaware of the pet food recall and also for those of us who purchase the contaminated brands for our pets so that we could throw away or return any of it (to ensure the health of our pets). Just more of that splendid customer service and thinking outside the box that is so abundant down here (but that is for another thread and another day)!

Hope this thread helps keep everyone's pets safe and healthy.
hey fedup... thanks for the post. it is really unfortunate, the times we are living in and the utter GREED of corporatism!!! ANYTHING to make a buck and/or to hold onto it.

these criminals... yes i said criminals, have to be held accountable for their actions. they know full well their products are dangerous and/or lethal and yet still put them out there for us to purchase, with our hard earned money.

their mindset is if it only cost them 5 million in lawsuits and they can "take in" 6 million, they're still ahead. running these "mega corps" are very sick and twisted individuals... driven only by dollars, detached from the mainstream and who need/deserve to be held accountable for their actions and/or criminally negligent decisions.

as they see it, the beauty of their corporations IS they cannot be held PERSONALLY liable... therefore ANYTHING goes, as long as they get theirs... VERY DISTURBING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets