U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:04 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,180,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
My girl has a vet appointment in a couple of weeks and then I am going to ask if I need to add anything else to her diet.
Cassy, Unless he's an Holistic vet, vets don't generally focus on nutrition in their education, unless he or she chooses to take the extra courses. A dog nutritionalist could guide you nicely as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Cassy, Unless he's an Holistic vet, vets don't generally focus on nutrition in their education, unless he or she chooses to take the extra courses. A dog nutritionalist could guide you nicely as well.
I agree

Old 04-01-2007, 04:35 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Cassy1 Thanks. That doesn't sound toooo difficult. Will try it.
My big dog is 65 lbs. The other one is 25 (obese).

Travl'r - yeah the vet sells me the W/D for the little dog but you can't get that without a prescription. Petsmart has it for the same price that my vet charges but won't sell w/out the Rx.

Thanks guys. I'll try whatever it takes. Both dogs will ADORE me if they get human food. They do every once in a while, or I might mix a little in their own food. I'm always amazed how they can pick just every grain and leave their dog food behind!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM

VP, unless that vet is charging you what a big bag of Alpo costs, I'd turn it in for a refund and look into a new vet office. You don't have to take Dogfoodanalysis word for this, as every other dog food forum and site will state these same facts (ingredients are listed right on the bags as well.)
Here are all the foods, in 6 groups of 1 to 6 stars. I looked in "2 star" expecting to find the Hills WD and here your vet is selling you food in the "1 star" category -- with Alpo!
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...ndex.php/cat/1

Check this out: Just some excerpts, don't want to be illegal here

First good random example I found Canidae, an excellent food-- and not even going up to the two most expensive tiers!!:

Pros: Excellent overall meat content, uses good quality ingredients throughout.
Cons:

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Sunflower Oil, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Chicken, Lamb Meal, Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Psyllium Seed Husk, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Norwegian Kelp, Lecithin, Cranberries, Monosodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Riboflavin (Source of Vitamin B2 ... http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...duct=513&cat=3

The first, second, eighth and ninth ingredients in the food are all named meat products, all in meal form. There is a further (fresh) meat ingredient 7th on the ingredient list, though this is too far down to make up a substantive portion of the food particularly once water content is removed from the ingredient.

The main grain in the food is rice (two forms). These are whole grains that are low-allergenic and a good quality source of carbohydrates and additional protein. There are no further grains in the food. Flaxseed is a good quality source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids as is sunflower oil. There is a good range of probiotics in the food.

This is an excellent looking food with very good meat content. The only grain contained in the food is rice, and there are no grain fragments or other fillers. It is one of the very few senior foods on the market that reduces fat without sacrificing the meat content and nutritional adequacy of the food. Great to see.

Here is the Hill's WD Please look at ingredients: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1077&cat=7

Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose, Peanut Hulls, Chicken by-product Meal, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Iron Oxide, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin ...

Pros:
Cons: Inadequate meat content, use of by-products, low quality grain fragments, carcinogenic chemical preservatives,

The first ingredient in this food is Corn. Corn is a difficult to digest grain, which limits its nutritional value for dogs. We consider this to be a low quality ingredient. It is also commonly associated with allergy and skin problems.Corn appears a second time on the ingredient list as corn gluten meal. This is the "dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm". In plain English, that which remains after all the nutritious bits have been removed. Powdered cellulose is further filler - more commonly known as sawdust. Peanut hulls are the ground outer casings of peanuts, and an utter waste product.

This food uses by-products as the sole meat-related ingredient. Chicken by-product meal - a very low quality ingredient...
The use of soy is a further negative. Soybean meal, the ground remains of soybeans after extraction of oil, provides additional low quality protein to the food. We prefer not to see the use of any form of soy in dog food as this is an ingredient of low quality and commonly causing allergy problems. Soybean Mill Run is the ground hulls (outer shell) of soybeans after the useful bean meat and oil has been extracted. Alongside the peanut hulls and sawdust, and zero meat content this food appears more of a means of waste disposal than dog food.

We note also the use of chemical preservatives - BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. All of these chemicals are either banned or heavily regulated in use in human food due to being carcinogenic.

Nothing makes me more angry than this. There are MANY GREAT foods out there for weight, as well as other dog issues. What is wrong with your dog that these people even recommended this? Edit: Just realized the answer, they **** it right out the other end because of all the junk fillers.
(I don't even want to know how much they rip you off for). I'm sorry, my blood's boiling at these vets, but people we trust should not do this. We had to change vets because of this trend (and dogs never getting better until we did). These young ladies are pressured to upsell, giving them even more pressure than the darned job itself, which is hard enough already -- especially for a young doctor just starting out.

I'd feel much differently if it was a good food they were supplying. But we have to go on the Internet to learn about healthy food@@
I feel for the poor owners who aren't on these Internet sites and put so much trust for the best for their dogs into profit greedy places who put even more pressure on young doctors to sell junk (even junkier compared to other foods)
Then the frustrated owners can wonder why the dog's always scratching and poohing bunches, runs, ear irritations...and keep going back for visits not having a clue.

Worst part is, they will prescribe drugs to combat the ailments before blaming their food!!

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-01-2007 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,339,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Well I have been impressed with who I have in NC, and I am a pretty hard sell. I use my own judgment, but if she tells me something is lacking, such as in a vitamin, then she will get it. I don't, and never have, bought into buying the stuff the vets have in the office, after all that is just what our doctors do with our prescription meds. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Cassy, glad to hear that I'd have popped for a straightjacket if your vet ended up "recommending" the Science Diet "prescripton" ...

Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,736,347 times
You should see me at work when people come in to buy from us and have done their research and found that no they have not been feeding a decent food; i.e. Science Diet. Makes me want to hop over the counter and hug them

Old 04-02-2007, 04:18 PM

489 posts, read 1,857,029 times
I started cooking food for my dog when the first warning was issued, even though I still had two cans of Alpo food here. For some reason, I just had a bad feeling about that food so I never fed it to her.

FOR CATS - My cat has been eating Wellness wet and dry and Petguard wet for several months. I didn't see any wheat gluten in the dry in Wellness food, and there is no wheat gluten in the wet in Petguard (I don't have any Wellness wet at home at present; therefore, I am unable to check that label).

vpcats - - Suddenly your cat with strange eating habits appears to not be so strange, afterall! Maybe it is psychic. (I have gotten such a kick out of reading about your cat's food preferences.)

Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,811,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I started cooking food for my dog when the first warning was issued, even though I still had two cans of Alpo food here. For some reason, I just had a bad feeling about that food so I never fed it to her.

FOR CATS - My cat has been eating Wellness wet and dry and Petguard wet for several months. I didn't see any wheat gluten in the dry in Wellness food, and there is no wheat gluten in the wet in Petguard (I don't have any Wellness wet at home at present; therefore, I am unable to check that label).

vpcats - - Suddenly your cat with strange eating habits appears to not be so strange, afterall! Maybe it is psychic. (I have gotten such a kick out of reading about your cat's food preferences.)

Well, maybe you'd like to have him visit you for a while? I think we're running out of lizards in my neighborhood!

He definitely is not getting his nourishment properly. I tried the fish oil on the cat food too. NADA! I think he's waiting for a formal, engraved invitation!

And the other little one, the last one we found in the yard with the broken femur, she used to eat anything in front of her. Now she's down to 4 flavors of Fancy Feast AND she kills for chicken, steak, pork, fish, any meat we eat. She has to get her portion or she won't stop climbing and jumping.

I don't know what these cats and dogs see in me. Chopped liver???

Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,370,800 times
I heard that the recall has been expanded to three other brands, but didn't catch which ones. Anyone know the latest additions to the list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or