Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times

Advertisements

SW, some Hill's Prescription dry cat food, as well as some Mighty Dog dry.

Here's the site with some informative, concise info regarding brands, companies; lists ones not affected (just updated today):
http://thepetfoodlist.com/

These folks have a running update thread as well:
http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-d...te-recall.html

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-03-2007 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
Dingo cat, dog and ferret treats have been added according to the news today.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for updates and alternatives.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,470 times
Default not a pet pro?

considering fact that I ran a pet service as a groomer,dog walker,boarder,did pet sitting,sold pet food,did training,practiced some homeopathic remedies taht were low cost based on my reading and experience with animals for 4 years as a business owner and my volunteer work in shelters. I am considered a pro. One doesn't need to go to school on subject to know of which they speak. I know waht I know. I am not saying give pet rice and corn but in cat food one looks for certain key ingredients like the ones I stated plus bone meal. Dry is better and once in a while they get tuna. CAnned food is filled with water and many have ash,beaks,feathers and other junk which is by products. It is important to look at the dry too. Cheap like store brands are not the wasy to go like DAd's like many do. at the same time some cats dogs get this and live a long life while otehrs get the best and don't. Is like smokers. I am into alternative remedies but do not discount what vets say. I just absorb all the info and make my own decision. doctors say but I try many things to be well like meditation and yoga. I don't push my opinion on anyone but i am a natural when it comes to animals and I like them as do them with me. I don't need to have a degree to help animals and be efective as there are many with degrees who aren't and also are just out for the $ and don't treat animals or use payment plans with people who are poor. Thank God my doctor works with me. I have also done pet rescue. It takes a special person to do waht I have done. Also melamine is a food additive and may even now be in people food. Is a way of saying things and treat others with respect as I don't need to be insulted by you as you don't know me and I have a right to my opinion. Again I know quite a bit too of waht I speak. TAke waht like and leave rest as I will with you. Can't please everyone. cheers.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I had been feeding one of my kitties the dry Purina natural one. It comes in a green bag, and it shows meat and dairy on the front of the packaging.She just really likes it but
each time she ate the food, she would go and throw up. And she was having loose ****. It would stick to her butt and she'd drag her self around. At first i thought it was from hairballs, but then once i realized what it was, i removed it from her bowl. I put her back on the Purina One she's been eating for years. The vomiting and the loose **** stopped.
Now im stuck with a big bag plus 2 smaller ones of the natural purina dry food. And i have no idea where the receipts are. I know it was the cat food, so be careful of the dry foods as well!
Peta also mentioned on their site that they want the fda to recall the dry foods too, but they keep insisting it's not the problem, and only the wet food is. They are wrong.

I went and ordered a safer dry cat food from Flint River ranch. frrco.com. They sent me a sample once and the cats tried to rip open the package it came in to get to it. It costs more but i want my cats to live, not die.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:35 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Default don't get me started on PETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Peta also mentioned on their site that they want the fda to recall the dry foods too...
Peta doesn't even want you to have a pet. Their ultimate goal is to eliminate all pet ownership. They say its cruel to own an animal.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:35 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Default Hills Reimbursing Vets

Excerpt:
<<<However, to further reinforce our commitment to both pets and the veterinary profession, Hill’s is announcing a plan to offset medical screening costs you have incurred to support your clients who have purchased Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry pet food from January 2007 to the present.

Hill’s has decided to take this action to help support so many in the profession who have already extended themselves to assist their clients during this difficult time.

The program will provide a one time payment of $100 per patient tested. This is being made available to help offset the costs of standard tests that would otherwise be borne by your client or yourself.

Wonder if Hills is making this available to all vets who may end up treating in a pinch, whether they sell their food or not? While this is a nice gesture, gotta believe that if a client does have a vet who sells SD, the client is offsetting costs more than sufficiently already, as these vets are usually well above the average cost of vets who do not.

In the case of tests previously conducted, it is up to you to reimburse your clients for out of pockets costs up to $100. This payment shall be available for all requests thru May 30, 2007.

Wonder if any clients will find out about this. Again nice gesture -- if the clients ever find out. On second thought, imagine client would be suing for a lot more if the food's the culprit -- and would probably have to go to a vet with no conflict of interest to prove the food to be the cause.
http://forums.ebay.com/db
http://1/thread.jspa?threadID=200034...=1175813352083

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-05-2007 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 08:25 AM

489 posts, read 2,015,248 times
I was watching CNN last night, and while watching, I noticed that the news ticker running on the bottom listed additional brands and types of pet food being recalled. CNN has promised to keep an updated list on their website if anyone is interested. I'm going to keep checking there (even though my dog is completely off of all pet food), and cat is on a food that doesn't contain wheat gluten.

I am horrified that our newspapers and news programs are not being more vigilant on reporting these updates concerning the safety of our pet food supply.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Peta doesn't even want you to have a pet. Their ultimate goal is to eliminate all pet ownership. They say its cruel to own an animal.
Yes i know peta can be fanatical about things. But they are doing their part in the pet food recall. They and other people not related to their cause are saying the tainted pet food is not just the canned, it's also the dry. Alot of the mass produced ones that use wheat gluten apparently.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quick little update on food/feeding.

My fat min pin likes the reduced calorie Natural Balance (then again we know he likes anything).

My big mutt "almost" likes the Wellness Chicken. We're still working on that one. I had started the Kirkland chicken last week but I'm having a harder time with this one. Anybody want a slightly used 40 lb bag of that??? :-))
(you know Costco only sells BIG quantities).

Yesterday, I ordered the green Innova for the min-pin and the Canidae All Llife Stages for the big dog. Ordered the smallest bags just to see first.

I also made doggie stew yesterday. The big dog doesn't like carrots too much apparently but the little one comes right behind to pick them up. :-)

I'm not sure what I did with the stew but I only got 8 cups out of it. Was experimenting first so maybe I just need to double or triple up on quantities?

I tried it and it wasn't TOOOOOO bad.

I sound like I'm making my dogs crazy with all these different things but no, not really. They were never a one food type anyhow and I think they're really enjoying all this attention. :-))

Thanks to EVERYONE for all the help you've given me on this!!!! AWESOME!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:23 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Cassy is getting spoiled also. I am thinking that switching between ground beef and ground turkey in the doggie stew is upsetting her stomach just a little. Either that or I got her some new dog treats and they may have upset her stomach. Right now I am just sticking to the ground beef doggie stew and staying away from any more switching. She is older and I guess all of this has been too much. vpcats, I doubled the stew recipe, I go through this in a six day period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets