U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM

947 posts, read 1,946,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
We use Advantage for the dog and the kitties - although the kitties can hear the foil packaging open and they run & hide! I don't blame them - that stuff stinks. They don't seem to have any adverse reactions to it though, and it works well on the cats. The dog is I think a bit too fluffy for it - she has a Sheltie-type ruff and the Advantage just gets lost on her.

I know I can't pet the cats for a day until it gets spread around as it irritates me.

So it doesn't *seem* that bad, but all the same I'd rather not put chemicals on the animals (or myself.) I try to use eco-friendly cleaning supplies, etc. so am looking for a natural alternative to the flea treatments.

I've heard good things about Diatomaceous Earth but have yet to try it out without more research. Anybody have any experience with DE?

It is good that you want to not use these pesticides... If it irritates you, it does them too, if not right now then in the long term, it is a chemical, a harsh pesticide people!?

Not trying to put anyone down here... I am truly not that type of person, I am Solely thinking about the individual animals here. Over time there will be problems of some sort!

I won't put it on me, so I will not do it to them. I do Not feel that I am so wrong... does Anyone agree with me here!?

Just wondering! I am worry about our pets!

Some people think Garlic is really bad, But I would take Garlic anyday over the flea/tick pesticides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 PM

947 posts, read 1,946,840 times
here are some links that you, ... anyone may be interested in.
I hope I did not irritate or inundate anyone with all this...
just thought it may be helpful for those interested in changing up your routine and ones that are concerned with product.

Holistic Prevention of Fleas

How to Rid Your Home of Fleas Naturally | eHow.com

Why "natural" flea and tick control? |

Garlic: A Long List of Benefits

5 Solutions for Natural Flea Control | Healthy and Green Living

well, ok, I'll stop now!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,574,226 times
And I'm more interested in products that have been scientifically proven safe and effective. To each their own.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM

199 posts, read 454,749 times
I use the revolution on all four of my pets, three dogs, one cat. It is great, plus it protects them from heartworm at the same time. It is a little more expensive than the Frontline, etc but saves from buying the heartguard. To save some money (my dogs are yorkies), I buy the next weight size and split between two. It wourks out to be about $25 for each animal for three months. I have used this product for over five years, never a problem, although now that I moved to PA from SoCal, it is harder to find and I can only get it at a few vets. Don't know why, it was easy to get in SoCal.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 AM

9,735 posts, read 23,668,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
I use the revolution on all four of my pets, three dogs, one cat. It is great, plus it protects them from heartworm at the same time. It is a little more expensive than the Frontline, etc but saves from buying the heartguard. To save some money (my dogs are yorkies), I buy the next weight size and split between two. It wourks out to be about $25 for each animal for three months. I have used this product for over five years, never a problem, although now that I moved to PA from SoCal, it is harder to find and I can only get it at a few vets. Don't know why, it was easy to get in SoCal.
1800petmeds carries it. I order from them all the time.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,455,995 times
We stopped treating our indoor-outdoor cat with Advantage and Frontline alltoghether. He hated both and I never had the feeling that they completely protected him anyway.

He gets an anti-worm shot at the vet every three months because you can't give him any oral treatments unless you'd like to end up in the ER. We comb him with a flee comb at least twice a day - which he LOVES! - and hardly find any flees or ticks on him, maybe 3-5 each per year. I'd rather have an occasional flee bite than continuing to apply those nasty chemicals on him. If there were a lot more flees and ticks around, I'd probably change my mind though.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,574,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
He gets an anti-worm shot at the vet every three months because you can't give him any oral treatments unless you'd like to end up in the ER.
Can you remember the name of the anti-worm shot? I'm completely drawing a blank on what it might be. I don't think I've ever used it, but maybe it's a new thing since I left private practice?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,455,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Can you remember the name of the anti-worm shot? I'm completely drawing a blank on what it might be. I don't think I've ever used it, but maybe it's a new thing since I left private practice?
No, I'm sorry but I don't know the name.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM

41,634 posts, read 44,854,191 times
Persoanlly from waht i have seen its just like meds that human take;you have to watch for possible side effects that different just as with humans. many human drugs are also toxic but to differing degrees.Its a trade off best discussed with you vet when having them checked.Tciks and fleas not controlled also have evry sometimes deadly effcts on pets that ar etoxic.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,867,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn't see any existing threads as of recently. Last night I was watching the local news, and they were talking about pet deaths from using over-the-counter flea drops. They focused on the cheap brands like Hartz and Sargeant's (sp?), but even Advantage and Frontline have a toxic quality - although it is much less dangerous than the others. Has anyone heard about this, and should we really be worried? I usually give my animals Frontline Plus, and only as needed since we live in a climate that fleas hate (cold and foggy)... they got a treatment about 2 months ago, and haven't ever had a bad reaction that I've noticed. Anyway, here's a link to the article, and just thought I'd bring it your attention!

LA Pet Rescue Examiner: Low-cost flea control remedies could be deadly for your pet (http://www.examiner.com/x-1779-LA-Pet-Rescue-Examiner~y2009m3d19-Lowcost-flea-control-remedies-could-be-deadly-for-your-pet - broken link)
I use Revolution. It's heartworm plus flea/tick meds. A bit more expensive than just flea/tick, but you get the heartworm meds in there too so it ends up being comparable to buying both.

I really like it. My dog has never had a single flea. The only reaction I've seen is that she will occasionally scratch the spot after I put it on, but there's never been any skin inflammation and the itch doesn't last more than a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets