Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:02 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
When it comes to something like a dog is it reneging or changing ones mind re the allergy problems in the family and the need of a certain type of dog. Not too mention the symbolism in that the dog was bred by Ted Kennedy, Senator from Mass.
Currently 14 are listed on Petfinder in rescues and shelters. Of them, 5 are purebred. So, the allergy excuse just doesn't fly. He could have adopted had he chosen too. The status symbol of their AKC puppy was just too much to pass on.

Hey Paddy - reps my friend.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,865,972 times
Default Why no outrage over not adopting

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
Where is the outrage over Obama breaking his campaign promise to adopt a rescue dog? There is not even a whisper of it on PETA or Best Friends Animal Society's websites, two organizations who were very strong in pushing for it and who praised them endlessly when they announced they would adopt.
I believe that President Obama made the choice of a Portuguese Water Dog because one of his children is allergic to pet hair, pet dander and this breed barely sheds and is recommended for children/adults with allergies. Normally, you won't find this type of dog in a shelter.

I think, this whole dog thing with the President is nothing to be outraged about...was his families choice...not ours...no lever to pull in a voting booth for what kind of pet the President and family should have..right??

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,865,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Currently 14 are listed on Petfinder in rescues and shelters. Of them, 5 are purebred. So, the allergy excuse just doesn't fly. He could have adopted had he chosen too. The status symbol of their AKC puppy was just too much to pass on. Hey Paddy - reps my friend.
Why is this anyone's business and why is it so important to post about? I don't get it?? If the President had wanted to adopt a COW, it would have been his choice and not anyone's concern...geesh.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:24 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
You need to re-read the news reports. The dog was NOT bred by Sen. Kennedy. The dog was returned to its breeder for not being suitable for its original owner. Kennedy then acquired the dog and gifted it to the Obama family. According to news reports, Kennedy owns three PWDs. That does not make him a breeder.
SORRY, I didn't think it was that big a deal, its a dog not foriegn policy or something.

I am so tired of cry babies who candidate LOST the election going on and on about things that don't matter.

Obama is a smart man, he knows he is damned no matter what he does by a certain group. NO matter how good a job he does these people will deny. SO even if he had adopted a shelter dog then someone would have found a problem with that.

IN a way he is giving this dog a second chance since it was returned to its breeder, not that it will make a difference to anyone who is just searching about something to WHINE about.

Frankly I thought the tie he was wearing the other day was a little LOUD, now thats a topic you all should really sink your teeth into.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Currently 14 are listed on Petfinder in rescues and shelters. Of them, 5 are purebred. So, the allergy excuse just doesn't fly. He could have adopted had he chosen too. The status symbol of their AKC puppy was just too much to pass on.

Hey Paddy - reps my friend.
How about the fact he has evidently adopted a dog that has been returned to the breeder? He is giving the dog a second chance? That gets no kudos from you??

Are you for REAL??

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
You CAN find allergy friendly animals in shelters. There are many shelters nationwide to look into. He would have had access to all shelters. NOT to mention instead of getting a Portuguese water dog from a BREEDER he could have gotten one from a Portuguese Water dog rescue...Which I'm sure exist in multiple states.

yeah, you'd think he would have some sort of connections being Pres and all,lol....makes you wonder if he falls through on such a easy peasy promise, what will he do with the more difficult ones to keep? Just sayin....

Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM

180 posts, read 701,739 times
Spend one single day of your life trying to care for a shelter dog or place one of them before they are killed and then you can tell me its none of my business or shouldn't be something I care about.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,732,973 times
Quote:
Spend one single day of your life trying to care for a shelter dog or place one of them before they are killed and then you can tell me its none of my business or shouldn't be something I care about.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,919,843 times
Quote:
Where is the outrage over Obama breaking his campaign promise to adopt a rescue dog? There is not even a whisper of it on PETA or Best Friends Animal Society's websites, two organizations who were very strong in pushing for it and who praised them endlessly when they announced they would adopt.
Are you serious? I think there are more important things to be focusing on instead of where the pup came from.

Maybe you need to just march right up to those capital steps and let him know just how irresponsible it is of him to keep that pup that was given to his girls as a gift from a friend! How dare he

Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
Ok, I'm almost an exclusive supporter in rescue. The only times I stray from that are for people that are very active in the working and showing circuit and they are trying to improve their breed. I understand breeding and selling in that case. Aside from that I think we need to be placing the dogs that don't have homes before we go buy some trophy piece to show off to our friends.

To me, it's a moral issue and I'm not able to understand the people that don't see it that way. Yes, people have rights in this country to do what they want, to make their own decisions. Does that mean we should get rid of laws that mandate you to put a child in a safety seat? It's a moral issue that the law passed a bill on to keep a child safe because that child isn't able to make it's own choices. Pets aren't able to make their own decisions either. All they know is what nature has geared them to do. Man has domesticated them, so I think we should be responsible enough to care for what we've created.

I'm trying to find a way to explain it.....

Ok, it's like telling a devoutly religious person that you don't understand their belief in God because their obviously is no such thing because you've never seen it.

To you, that may be the absolute truth. You may not believe in something you can't see. But to someone that is religious they won't understand how you can't believe in something when there is the bible telling you it is, and that you can't feel that feeling.

Or like politics. I don't understand the conservative social stance on several things. I don't understand how you can tell two people that are in love that they can't marry. A marriage license is something man created, so how can you tell me that a gay couple being married will ruin my marriage? It has no effect on me at all. On the other hand I don't understand the liberal points of view on the law and financial politics. I don't think someone that hurts a baby should have the right to live. I don't understand saying someone has been 'rehabilitated' when they've got a rap sheet a mile long and the ricidivism rate is so astronomically high. IMO those people should be euthanized and I can't understand how liberals think we should give them another chance............... again, even though it could very well be their child that's abducted, tortured, raped and murdered.

And that's how it is with rescue. I don't understand - and my brain will never be able to wrap itself around - people that support back yard breeders when there are millions of pets being killed every year in our country. It's a moral issue. You make a difference, one way or the other. And to me, in my brain, the decision that was made was a poor moral choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.