U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 27,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You need to get him on the scalded milk formula right away. Bring regular whole fat cow milk just up to boiling and stop. Use a syringe with a nipple to feed. You must be very careful not to get milk into the nose or lungs. This is an excellent site that contains everything you need to know.

[URL="http://users.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html"]Squirrel baby feeding care nutrition scalded cow's milk[/URL]

do not feed it cow milk! this can kill them! ive had a baby squirrel before! you have to feed it esbalic! look at my other reply on how to take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 PM

5,933 posts, read 14,947,765 times
ditto morgan, that is what we did last year with a baby squirrel that we were given to care for. His eyes were open though. He grew up perfectly healthy and was successfully reintegrated into the wild. Came back to visit for several weeks off and on, then moved on.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM

85 posts, read 139,502 times
I had a baby squirrel two years ago. I didn't know any better and fed it cow's milk. It did good on it. Then two weeks later, I thought it was ready for some solids so I gave it some peanut butter. It got deathly sick but I revived it again with cow's milk. Then I gave it some peanut butter again Don't ask, I have no idea. I really am that dim A few baby coughs and leg twitches later, it died.

So it was peanut butter for me, peanut butter. I guess all nuts aren't created equal.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,678,699 times
Any update on if the baby survived?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:45 AM

58 posts, read 108,910 times
Yes, they sent us a postcard about a month ago stating that the little guy did just fine and they had set him free.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,556,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdi1 View Post
Yes, they sent us a postcard about a month ago stating that the little guy did just fine and they had set him free.
Good work! Just went through the same thing about a month ago here. After a week I took it to a wildlife rescue lady who had sixteen squirrels she was taking care of. While I was waiting for her to arrive a neighbor found an even younger squirrel that they found on a walk and we went to go get it. Poor lady, she thought I was bringing one squirrel and I left her with two.
I bottle fed it with puppy milk and a tiny bottle every 4 hours...it was a lot of work (and they can be smelly too). But they are very sweet creatures and deserve a fair shot at life like everything else!
If you ever find one, contact your local wildlife rescue group, they have the knowledge and love for these animals to nurture them and then set them free as they should be.
This was my little baby two days before taking it to the rescue home...much better shape than I found him!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM

6,541 posts, read 15,139,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Arrow View Post
,,,So it was peanut butter for me, peanut butter. I guess all nuts aren't created equal.
Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes - a root.
This is why some people are allergic to peanuts but not nuts.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,544 times
Default newborn squirrel help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdi1 View Post
We just found a baby squirrel, still has his eyes shut. What do you think is the best care for him for now?

We were cutting down an old dead tree and found a very little newborn squirrel. Want to know what to do with it and what to feed it? Can someone help?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,309 times
Can someone please help my mother out?She found a NEWBORN baby squirrel.She named her Chloe.How cute.Anyway,she has NO clue how to take care of it...if someone would PLEASE email her at [email]sweetmama119582006@yahoo.com[/email] and give her some insight on what to do.Her name is Sherry.Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Sherry's daughter,Melissa Ann,age 32

Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,678,699 times
The info you need is in this thread, just read through it.

Get it to a wildlife rehabber if it's still alive. It's been a few days and no more replies, so I'm not hopeful though. Hope it made it and is doing well though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets