Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:48 PM

58 posts, read 157,153 times

Advertisements

We just found a baby squirrel, still has his eyes shut. What do you think is the best care for him for now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,309 times
This may help.
Pets squirrels: feeding, care, cages, toys, health, veterinary care, exercise
http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/

Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM

287 posts, read 1,010,390 times
Hmmm wrong forum to ask perhaps but the Humane Society might be able to give you sound advice.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdi1 View Post
We just found a baby squirrel, still has his eyes shut. What do you think is the best care for him for now?
this site looks very good

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue and Wildlife Rehabilitation in Texas - Raising Baby Squirrels

Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
You need to get him on the scalded milk formula right away. Bring regular whole fat cow milk just up to boiling and stop. Use a syringe with a nipple to feed. You must be very careful not to get milk into the nose or lungs. This is an excellent site that contains everything you need to know.

Squirrel baby feeding care nutrition scalded cow's milk

Old 04-19-2009, 10:49 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
If it's still alive find a wildlife rehabber very fast. Baby squirrels can go downhill extremely quickly if not properly cared for.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM

49 posts, read 420,298 times
I had to take care baby squirle before. My dog had caught it but it was ok it wasnt quite that youg to still have its eyes closed but you can try a kitten bottle and kitten milk replacer thats what we used but mine wount drink from a bottle i had to use a syringe (with out the neddle of course) they are very hard to care for and you have to keep it very clean because it will go to the bathroom on its self and they smell really bad!!! Lol and you have to get up in the middle of the night to feed it and its very tiering lol i wound up giveing to a friend of mines grandparents she taking in wild animals that are hurt and nurses them back to health i had him for a lil wile but i couldnt do it any more i was to young for such a responsibility and a couple days after i gave it to her it started eating hard foods lol i was so mad i loved that little guy but i dodnt want to neglect it i was only like 14 lol i couldnt belive it i was sooo mad lol but there very sweet when they want to be we had asked the vet what to feed it and they had said kitten milk so anyways i hope i helped and i hope it goes ok for you and the little guy oh and sorry about the caps lock my key is stuck or somthing it wont turn off lol its driving me crazy!!!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,971 times
we had a baby squirrel we raised as a baby and he recentley died 2 months ago... we got him in 1997 and he lived for 12 years.... 4-5 time a regular in the wild. he ate fruit nuts and more fruit. just feed him whatever and they will adopt to it.

Our's was pretty tame for the most part. he did like to bite though. but for the most part build him a good size cage and feed him fruit and other things. good luck!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
We found 2 babies after a storm once, one dead and one alive.

I got kitten formula, and fed it with a syringe every few hours, for about a month. When she was a bit older she was NUTS for peanut butter, and we'd give her fruits, veggies, what ever she would take! After about a month she was pretty wild but still dependant, so we moved her cage(dog carrier) outside and took off the door. She spent nights there for most of the summer before disappearing.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 34,227 times
Default i used to have a pet squirrel!

Quote:
okay, i used to have a pet squrrel. when it is still a small baby,

FEEDING:
feed it puppy milk (esbalic, liqud, not powder) sold in pet stores. when it is first being fed, start off with half the recepie esbalic and half water. NEVER feed it anything other than puppy milk. fid it thru a syringe and put a mini bottle nipple on the end. extract the esbalic slowly intil the squrrel is full. as it starts to get onder it will control how much to feed. also, feed it pedialyte as often as it will take it (my squirrel didnt like the pedilyte) however, if they wont take it, give the pedialyte before the esbalic.

HOUSING:
put in in a relatively large cage, atleast 1 1/2 feet in length, that have metal bars all around the sides and tops. when the squirrel gets older, they love to climb on this. put a heating pad in the bottom of the cage and turn it on medium. put a sheet or pillow case over the heating pad and make sure it doesnt get too hot but the squirrels love the warmth. put a cloth (not anything made of terry) like a small sweatshirt in the cage, they looovvveeee to cuddle in these. as they get older, start feeding it apples and bananas (they love bananas). put nuts in their cage too and see if they start to eat them when they develop their teeth. the will hold the nuts by themsleves. NEVER EVER give the squirrel raw peanuts. this is what killed my squirrel): they contain a mold that is poisonous to squirrels.

ALL IN ALL:
a squirrel is the best pet ive ever had. they develop a bond to humans so now that you have it, u have to keep it the rest of its life. we tried to let ours go, but the other squirrels just stold er food and attacked her. but a squirrel will be one of the best experiences of your life(:

p.s. if u dont want the squirrel, we'll take it(;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets