U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 03:12 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,699,047 times

Advertisements

Most people think in terms of a pet being a Cat or Dog.

There are many cases a different animal is considerd a pet.

In my memory was the time waaaay back when a stray bantam hen wandered into our back yard from somewhere. Never did find out who owned her originally after all we were in a city and not a coutryside farm area.

The kids called her Pepper and she would come running when called like she new her name.
She had her nesting place and supplied a few small eggs during her stay with us.

Bought chicken feed for her and she did her share of eating small things including some bugs in the back fenced yard.

Would take her in the car where she rested behind my shoulder and never tried to exit out the window but seemed to enjoy the ride with the stares of other people looking at a chicken in a car of all places.

Am wondering if some people have a weird or strange pet out of the normal reality.

Some do have caged exotic animals...snakes and the like...that I understand....I'm thinking something more in line of a animal that can move about freely and legally.

Any out there? Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,328,796 times
My buddy Bandit

One of our many ferrets

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM

21,955 posts, read 21,755,752 times
Ive had pet chickens, a raccoon and a rat. I have a pet goat and a donkey. I still have chickens and rabbits, but they arent really pets.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,036,595 times
We have 'dogs in a shell'.

Sherman, the female, is highly affectionate and outgoing. She loves playing with empty water bottles. She'll roll them around the house or the yard for hours. She comes when you call her and sticks her head as far out of her shell as she can so you can rub her neck.

Sherman is on the left. She weighs about 60 pounds and is about 8 years old. Panzer is on the right. He's just over 100 pounds now and is about 12 years old.

Bradley is the baby. We brought him home about 18 months ago, smaller than a baseball. Weighed less than a pound. Now he's bigger than a basketball and weighs 18 pounds.

All of them came from a rescue where they'd been taken in after their original owners realized they wouldn't always be the size of a quarter. They can get over 200 pounds and take down a 6 foot by 8 foot privacy fence on their own. Good lesson for people that want an exotic pet and don't want to do the homework on the species before bringing them home.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:39 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,699,047 times
Those guys are kinda cute...now all we need is a couple of hares.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM

I love tortoises, we are waiting till we have a large enough yard for one.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 PM

I remember back in the 70's a neighbor drove around in a station wagon with a black bear, head out the window like a dog. Probably a animal extra for film. Last time I seen a bear on a leash was at Buena Vista studios in '97.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 PM

543 posts, read 2,046,450 times
My dad had a pet crow when he was a kid. My grandmother said she knew when my dad and aunt were on their way home from school. The crow would sit on a fence post at the end of their lane waiting on them. The crows name was Bill. Dad said that bird hung around for years.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM

513 posts, read 780,156 times
In the course of my love of animals, I've had mice, which started off as a high school science project and exploded from there. They're worse than rabbits! I raised a caterpiller, actually several of them, from caterpiller to coccoon to butterfly. They were pets to me at the time! I've had mini frogs from Texas I caught driving through in a rainstorm. (toads maybe?), I had two roosters when I was very young, and a baby duck. This was all living in the suburbs too! Of course there were also the dogs (chihuahuas) but no cats, even though I tried a few times. Mother wouldn't have it. I love the other stories here of different pets! And the pics are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or