U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 25,190 times

Advertisements

I prefer dogs they are much more affectionate then cats. I personally find that cats lack any form of intimacy unlike dogs.

What do people think ?

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 PM

7,542 posts, read 16,357,651 times
Kind of agree with you Curry. But im also allergic to cats, so thatd push me in that direction

Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,863,837 times
Each species gives me something that the other doesn't.
That's why I've always had both.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:15 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,721,564 times
I used to be a "dog person".

And I still am. I mean....I still LOVE dogs. Big dogs, little dogs, even mean dogs.

BUT my sister gave my daughter a cat ~ 10 years ago...and darn it, the stupid thing decided to bond with me.

She burrows under the covers at night. She follows me around the house. She says "map" (she doesn't meow) when she wants food. She sits on my lap constantly. Ugh.

I hate falling in love when I least expect it.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:39 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,816,746 times
Used to be a dog person and still am...got a JRT and a Corgi. But....A preggers beautiful Manx showed up on my doorstep and stayed...she got spayed and her kittens found great homes.

She is fantastic and is now around 16 yrs old...she is great, affectionate...loves the dogs and hunts as a pack with the JRT....LOL. Shes a great mouser and has changed my mind about having cats. She'll be tough to replace when it's her time.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,753,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
I personally find that cats lack any form of intimacy unlike dogs.
C
Ever had cats? Our kitties give us kisses when we get home. They love to jump on our lap and be petted.

Obviously, I'm a cat person But we may be getting a dog soon. My husband grew up with dogs and wants one, but he does love our kitties too.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM

653 posts, read 3,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
I prefer dogs they are much more affectionate then cats. I personally find that cats lack any form of intimacy unlike dogs.

What do people think ?

C
I prefer cats. You have to WORK for their affection. I have a maine coon and a Japenese Bobtail. The bobtail cannot get enough "Facial Contact" with people.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:16 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,815,378 times
Cats are very affectionate also. I adore dogs but they are a lot more work than cats. So I started with cats because I was in NYC in a apt and worked long hours and had a child to raise. In Florida, with a big enough yard, immediately got dogs. So now I have dogs and cats and we all get along great! Everybody sleeps together and plays together. :-))

Old 04-10-2007, 07:39 AM

364 posts, read 394,400 times
I love all animals and if one showed up on my door... I'd take it in, give it a great home and love it forever. That only happend with a cat once. I had it for a few months and then it's orignal owner claimed him. I have 4 dogs now. I probally wont go seeking a cat but if one found me- done deal. Love em all!

Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM

21 posts, read 45,967 times
I really love both species too much to choose. At the present time I don't have a dog (sadly my labrador / border collie mix passed away last year at fourteen years of age) but do have three cats . . . Two I got from the shelter as kittens and one who "strayed" into my life.

Each kitty has their own personality. They ARE affectionate, each in a different way.

My tabby boy is a little bit spooky and cautious. He's not a lap sitter but enjoys getting his tummy rubbed (which cats aren't supposed to like!) and rubbing against legs.

My flame point siamese boy is active, gregarious, and enjoys sprawling on laps. But his favorite activity is sleeping across my legs or curled up next to me.

My longhaired siamese mix girl is incredibly sweet and is the cuddliest of the three. She will ask permission to sit on laps (by standing on her hind legs, waving a paw) and then cuddle right up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or