Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times

Advertisements

Do you have one that you just love to go to and look around? I miss being near a Jack's Aquarium. I loved their fish of the month club. That was a great way to have a community tank and stay abreast of new gadgets for aquariums.

Do you have a favorite pet shop?

For those who intend to tarnish this thread with hateful comments about pet shops supporting puppy mills, please save it for another thread. People who buy items for their existing pet dog, cat, fish, reptile, birds and even pet insects enjoy frequenting pet shops - and most of them do not carry puppies or kittens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
We have a pet products store in Nashville that I enjoy. Not only do they not support puppy mills (it's going to come up if you mention a pet store) they encourage adoptions. They've got quite a few cats there that are available for adoption and they let them wander the store and then cage them at night so they don't get hurt.

They've got everything under the sun for pets that you can imagine and only sell high quality foods. They sell all kinds of pet supplies, including some that are used. I got a very high end kennel there that looked brand new and was really a bit too big for my cocker for $75. It's an apartment for foster kittens right now.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
There is a small chain of pet stores here in Massachusetts that is actively engaged in pet advocacy. They make their space available to animal related groups at no charge for training classes, adoption events and activity and agility days. They post wish-lists for rescue groups. They carry natural/holistic products and high quality pet supplies. They run regular education programs. And they don't sell any animals at all--not even fish.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
We have a great one that I just love. They have cats from the humane society as well as shop cats who live there full time. From what I can observe they actually feed their cockatiels pellets instead of seed. It's much more expensive and I never thought I'd see a pet store do that. They also offer their space for animal rescue fund raising events. A large chain just moved into town and it's made me more determined to go to my local store for all my pet-related needs. I'd hate to see them go out of business.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
Our local Petsmart the newest one has a really cool pet hotel. you can go in and watch the dogs play. really neat. They also take in adoption cats from rescue places to adopt out. I have a friend who takes in feral kittens tames them teaches them the litter pan and all and her Local Petsmart supports her effort and adopts out her kittens when they are old enough.

Even closer we have apet barn and we love to watch all the Fish they have. First place I have seen in a very long time with above excellent fish tanks. Everything is so clean is sparkles in the sun.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Reading your post took me back in years when I couldn't have a pet (no time, landlord rules, etc.), and was still uninformed about the poor sourcing strategies of some shops -- those that will remain nameless, in regard to your note. Anyway, each Friday night, before my true love would go out, we would go "hug puppies" and the neighborhood shop. For about three months, they had a West Highland Terrier that I started calling Fred. When we walked in the store, Fred would get excited. Usually, we and the owner was the only one there, so we could free him from his kennel and he would race up and down the aisles, as we played "hide and seek" with him. (Where's Fred? Here's Fred! It was great fun for all of us.) Then one Friday night his kennel was empty. The owner sold him to a large family full of kids. I was happy and sad. The sadness wore away, the happy remains.

Thanks for the reminder....

Old 06-09-2009, 02:49 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
Our local neighborhood petstore let my daughter play with the kittens. She was a kitty cat girl from babyhood, but we always had dogs and a parrot who had the run of the house, plus allergies kept us from getting her kitty. I'd take her at least once a week and she spent a lot of time playing with the kitties. Now, I am happy to say, the local petstore is a rescue pet store and they only sell rescue animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets