Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times

Advertisements

My grandson, gave me his pet hermit crabs while back .. they bit him so.. I got them .. anyways .. I goofed and killed them off .. oh yeh I am sure .. they are dead .. .. not good of course the kids are gonna have a fit but crap happens .. anyways .. I made the mistake of bombing the house for fleas 9 days ago .. I took the crabs out of the tank I had them in and took them to another house for the day .. set off the bombs, left for required time period and came back to air the house out .. never even thought about the tank not being covered with something when I bombed .. anyways I put the crabs back into the tank and this morning I went to open the blinds on that end of the room and got to looking at the tank.. you can tell dead crabs .. .. sheesh .. kicking my self in the butt for not taking the tank out but I just never thought about the plants and the sand in there getting toxic from bug bombs .. I left all my plants in the house .. they seem to never be hurt by the yearly bombing .. so the tank was just never thought about .. anyways .. naw dont want sympthy for the dead critters .. but posted as a warning to folks who might have them for pets .. .. its not just the crabs you have to protect but the tanks as well .. big goof on my part
now what do I tell the kids? oh they are gonna be so mad I just know it .. :: sighs:: these hermit crabs arent throw away pets they are long lived and interesting .. and I killed them thru ingorance.
do we have a butt kicker smiley someplace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Nope, no butt kicker smiley, but I'm glad you owned up to the error and it's a great post for others. The bombs all say to cover aquariums, as so many people don't think of them.

My vote is to be honest.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:44 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
Oh I wont lie to the kids but am mad at myself for not thinking about an open terrium and sand being toxic .. It did say on the box to cover fish tanks .. but dorky me just never thought about the plants and the sand as being an issue .. sheesh ..
I will go buy some more when I can and replace the critters they were interesting to watch .. beats spiders and snakes anyday to me ! oh well .. kids will get over it mean time I am dumping sand and changeing out the plants I had in there .. stupid mistake on my part ..

Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
It happens.

You might use it as a teaching tool for the kids. Even you make mistakes and that's why it's so very important to pay such close attention when you're doing things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets