Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,154,502 times

Advertisements

Ahhhh Europe. How nice! No neighbors that I know with pets to walk with but you're right! Sometimes I do feel like just saying the heck with all this and that I do deserve to have 15 min away from home chores (besides my C-D minutes :-)). I think I'll just have to give it a try and walk each dog separately if I have to.

I know this is all related to the obesity original topic, don't you agree??? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM

661 posts, read 2,895,455 times
Hi VP,

If I'm walking alone, I only take one dog. I have a whole "sneak him out of the house without the others seeing" routine. Walking more than one, especially of different sizes makes the walk more of a chore, therefore I usually end up not doing it. One on one makes for a longer, more enjoyable walk for both of us. If my husband's going, he takes the other dog. Unfortunately, the Golden is past the point of long walks and what REALLY bothers me is that he's not even interested anymore.

On the other hand, you have the advantage of having a small dog. During the winter in NE, when long stretches of bad weather would keep us from walking, we'd play in the house. If your little guy has a favorite toy he'll chase, throw it while you're doing laundry, making dinner, or watching the news. Even from your chair while you're on C-D! Lots of times I can wear the small fry out without taking time out from things I have to do.

I know with the effort you're making, you'll get the pudge off the Pin.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
tet tea, while not only theory sounds great, it simply doesn't work into everyone's perfect day. Although I'm married, I run the household alone and look after my aging mother and work and currently help out a co-worker as her husband is in the Navy. Our weather isn't always pleasant living in the Rockies and I feel horrible if I must leave one dog home while walking the other. Not that my dogs are overweight mind you, but yes the walks they do get when my husband is home and we can take both are enjoyable.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
The food still hasn't come. I ordered it a week ago. But I checked last night and it's not the Evo. There are some stores in my area that sell it so I will stop by and just pick up a bag of the Evo. I had mail ordered it because I wanted to try the Canidae on the other dog and that one I can't buy in a store here so I ordered both while I was at it but I'll go get the Innova on my own now.

Thank you!
Don't be surprised if the Min-pin first snubs his nose at the Evo, after all you're going to something more nutritional Let me know what he thinks please.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Yep. I'll have to start with the little one, a little bit at a time. I'm afraid of him having a heart attack. Then I'll get my work-out with the big one. It stays light out much later now so that does give me some more motivation.
I have a pretty big yard, not big enough for the big one but definitely for the little one and since the little one is a copycat and tries to imitate the big one, even if he just has to keep jumping to try to look over the 4' fence in the back, I thought that was exercise! They will also run around the outside of the house.

You know what's funny? My house is gated in the front. When we first got the min-pin, we had to put some trellis backing on the gates because TWICE he got away from us because he fit right through the spacing. He was so thin I thought he was sick even though the vet said he looked great. Boy, has he grown - sideways!

We'll get there and I really do appreciate everyone's helpful comments. :-))

Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Cleosmom - if the min-pin snubs at anything, I would feel like I won the lotto! :-))

Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 AM

That's what I have to do when I have to take only one to the vet. Have to go through all this secrecy but I don't know HOW they always figure it out! :-))

Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 AM

606 posts, read 698,510 times
Yes,it is absolutely .

Old 04-19-2007, 05:51 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,595 times
Something that I would explain to people....
Say your min pin is 15 lbs (pipe dream?!?!), and you're 150. So if you're giving "just a little bit", and it's a handful, that means it's TEN handfuls for you!! Now, I know there's a big difference in metabolism, etc., but it normally blows people away!

Old 04-19-2007, 10:26 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,580 times
I am going to buy some carrots for the dogs...I think they'll be impressed.
I am also going to start making their dog food too (at least some of time). I am tired of all the pet food scares.

What about potatoes for dogs? Is that okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets