U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,475,592 times

Advertisements

I bought some Frontline plus for my dogs and put it on the middle of last month. My older dog was chewing her fur off, and its coming in now, but she is still chewing. I thought it might be habit, since she does that, but see bites. My other dog seems to occasionally be scraching too.

If the Frontline didn't work at all, I would expect the fleas would not be seeking me out where they got deposited on my chair. They don't seem to be scraching bad. So its helping. But I've used it before and it worked far better.

I suspect its out of date. Where do I find the expiration date on the package? I didn't see one. And since they've been treated I assume that they wait for next month for the next dose.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,980,891 times
More than likely you have fleas that have become immune - or at least less effected by the Frontline. I'm going through that now. Give your vet a call - they can give you an idea of others in your area are experiencing this.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:20 AM

13,782 posts, read 18,690,385 times
yes you have to change around alot cause fleas can and do get immune to the sprays and meds you use to kill them .I have had to jump around to keep the fleas off my dogs . I first started out with advantix and my cousin has cats so we can no longer use that so we switched to frontline spray I find that the spray works far better than the stuff you put on their neck . so it just depends how bad the fleas are in your area as well . good luck .

Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 13,921 times
I use frontline for my one cat who has a condition called Flea Dermititus - when she gets bit whe is miserable for days (and makes me miserable from her constant moaning). Frontline works for her but reading your post I have to ask: Where did you apply it? It sounds like you put it where your dogs can reach the spot to lick it off. Try placing it in the small of their back behind their neck - then they can't link it off, though they may be able to scratch it. And make sure it makes contact with the skin, not just the fur - dampen the spot with a moist rag then try to spread the fur apart with fingers of your free hand, or use scissors and cut a small patch of fur out. Then try to keep them active by taking them for a walk or to the park and throw a ball - that will allow enough time for the liquid to soak into the skin, then if they scratch later it doesn't matter - hope that helps\works!

Jim

Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernix View Post
I use frontline for my one cat who has a condition called Flea Dermititus - when she gets bit whe is miserable for days (and makes me miserable from her constant moaning). Frontline works for her but reading your post I have to ask: Where did you apply it? It sounds like you put it where your dogs can reach the spot to lick it off. Try placing it in the small of their back behind their neck - then they can't link it off, though they may be able to scratch it. And make sure it makes contact with the skin, not just the fur - dampen the spot with a moist rag then try to spread the fur apart with fingers of your free hand, or use scissors and cut a small patch of fur out. Then try to keep them active by taking them for a walk or to the park and throw a ball - that will allow enough time for the liquid to soak into the skin, then if they scratch later it doesn't matter - hope that helps\works!

Jim
It was applied correctly. I also applied it to the cat with a different box and she doesn't seem to have a problem, which is why I wonder if the tubes could be old. My cat did have a reaction, kinda warm and lethargic, but she was fine the next day and is now rid of ticks. But I bought her stuff from a different place.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,729,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I bought some Frontline plus for my dogs and put it on the middle of last month. My older dog was chewing her fur off, and its coming in now, but she is still chewing. I thought it might be habit, since she does that, but see bites. My other dog seems to occasionally be scraching too.

If the Frontline didn't work at all, I would expect the fleas would not be seeking me out where they got deposited on my chair. They don't seem to be scraching bad. So its helping. But I've used it before and it worked far better.

I suspect its out of date. Where do I find the expiration date on the package? I didn't see one. And since they've been treated I assume that they wait for next month for the next dose.
Please check the EPA website. Something like 44,000 dogs have died due to Frontline and some other products. The vet told me Frontline, BioSpot and some others have toooo many harsh chemicals in them. Ask your vet to give you some "Revolution." It works good. We used BioSpot on our dogs in April when we were down in Ohio. The little Peke got sick from it. Luckily other dogs were ok.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:11 AM

4,128 posts, read 13,266,252 times
As far as I know, I dont think Frontline has an expiration date. So far, so good here (I bought my latest batch from Costco where it was $35 for 3 vials (months), it's almost double that at the local pet supply store, not sure what my vet charges, probably somewhere in between).

PS Just did a quick google, apparently Frontline doesn't have an expiration date
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1214546AARChkV

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 07-06-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: PS (more info)

Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
As far as I know, I dont think Frontline has an expiration date. So far, so good here (I bought my latest batch from Costco where it was $35 for 3 vials (months), it's almost double that at the local pet supply store, not sure what my vet charges, probably somewhere in between).

PS Just did a quick google, apparently Frontline doesn't have an expiration date
Does Frontline Expire? - Yahoo! Answers
Interesting, the stuff I got for the cat is from a woman who repackages them and sells on ebay. I spoke to her on the phone. She makes sure she sells only fresh stuff because in her experience it becomes less effective when it gets older. Hmmmm

The cat had ticks she picked up from somewhere and they are all gone and she's not scraching. I suspect the woman is right. It could be it never goes "bad" but does lose effectiveness.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,201,563 times
Even though it will cost more money, I think that I would get my next order from the vet. While I have no reason to believe that if you buy it from another vendor that it would not be the real thing, since you are having problems, don't take a chance. You will then have an opportunity to compare and see if your pets continue to have problems.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,127,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Please check the EPA website. Something like 44,000 dogs have died due to Frontline and some other products. The vet told me Frontline, BioSpot and some others have toooo many harsh chemicals in them. Ask your vet to give you some "Revolution." It works good. We used BioSpot on our dogs in April when we were down in Ohio. The little Peke got sick from it. Luckily other dogs were ok.
Could you please provide a link? I can't find anything on the EPA site about 44,000 dogs being killed by Frontline. All I found was a fact sheet about identifying counterfeit Frontline and Advantage, which seems to be a bigger problem than I thought. And a good reason to buy these products from a vet. Counterfeit Pesticide Products for Dogs and Cats | Pesticides | US EPA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or