U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 PM

208 posts, read 594,802 times

Advertisements

The dry dog food ( Science Diet ) has not been recalled. My 4 year old Black Lab loves it. I Started him on their product 2 years ago. Hope this might help someone looking for a good brand for their pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Smile Science Diet food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Agreed...when the menu foods recall first started, they were saying oh it's only this, this and this and then the list kept growing and growing and they are still adding things! I am a firm believer in better safe than sorry.

We just had a meeting at work today about different diets and what we will recommend and what we won't. We have one vet that will never (and wouldn't even before the big recall) recommend any science diet or hills product ever again. Our clinic seems to be following her lead and moving away from the hills products if there is a good alternative (which is sometimes tough since they have a wide line of prescription diets).
My lab loves the science Diet dry product, why would your vet not recommend it? thanks for any and all information

Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM

4,654 posts, read 15,741,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeedom View Post
The dry dog food ( Science Diet ) has not been recalled. My 4 year old Black Lab loves it. I Started him on their product 2 years ago. Hope this might help someone looking for a good brand for their pet.
No offense. Brand? yes,. good? No, I'll argue that 'til the cows come home!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
My lab loves the science Diet dry product, why would your vet not recommend it? thanks for any and all information
Have you actually read the ingredients?

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM

ayyyy,, Doing that right now, There are so many people buying this product at our vets office and furthermore, The (vet) said this brand had none of the harmfull ingredients in itl.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 PM

cleosmom,

I see where the Science Diet for cats have been recalled, but not for the dogs. I thank you for your help, reference to your last post. ;-)

Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
cleosmom,

I see where the Science Diet for cats have been recalled, but not for the dogs. I thank you for your help, reference to your last post. ;-)
I'm not saying what your feeding is on recall, but simply stating there are far more nutritious foods on the market. SD is not one of them unfortunately. Ask Turtle, someone who works in a vet clinic... at least I think Turtle works in a vet clinic.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 PM

No disrespect

When I read what turtle wrote, I figured the person worked at a vets office, And wanted to know if there was something that I had not heard of yet. This whole thing is so bad on the animals, and does carry worry, being a animal owner all of us can appreciate this. And for all the main goal is keeping the animals safe and healthy. sorry for the confusion.,,

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 AM

389 posts, read 3,288,358 times
Even though it hasn't been recalled, it's just not the best out there like so many thought for so long. A while back, they promised to remove an ingredient (some type of preservative that is really bad...I forget the name, but I will try to find out) so they take it out and we keep recommending their food and then they sneak it back in without a word! We had a very upset client that thought she was getting a good healthy product.....not so. Plus, SD has some byproduct in it....there are just so many other really good choices out there, and it's not like SD is cheap, so for the money, you could be getting a much better product. Foods like Innova (as mentioned before, they even smell good. the canned dog food smells like chicken soup!) Wellness, California Natural, Canidae....the list goes on...good food with NO byproduct. That's a biggie because the byproduct (ie beak, feathers, feet etc) doesn't have the protien content that your pet would get from a good source of protein in the food (real chicken, fish, venison...whatever your protein of choice is). Our vet that refused to recommend it is totally disgusted especially with their cat diets, but their foods as a whole.

Again, it's all about personal choice...some people may feed their dog Beneful (don't even get me started) and the dog could do fine and live til it's 20, but it's just not a high quality food. But for what you pay for SD/Hills, you could be getting a better product for your pet.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,764,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Even though it hasn't been recalled, it's just not the best out there like so many thought for so long. A while back, they promised to remove an ingredient (some type of preservative that is really bad...I forget the name, but I will try to find out) so they take it out and we keep recommending their food and then they sneak it back in without a word! We had a very upset client that thought she was getting a good healthy product.....not so. Plus, SD has some byproduct in it....there are just so many other really good choices out there, and it's not like SD is cheap, so for the money, you could be getting a much better product. Foods like Innova (as mentioned before, they even smell good. the canned dog food smells like chicken soup!) Wellness, California Natural, Canidae....the list goes on...good food with NO byproduct. That's a biggie because the byproduct (ie beak, feathers, feet etc) doesn't have the protien content that your pet would get from a good source of protein in the food (real chicken, fish, venison...whatever your protein of choice is). Our vet that refused to recommend it is totally disgusted especially with their cat diets, but their foods as a whole.

Again, it's all about personal choice...some people may feed their dog Beneful (don't even get me started) and the dog could do fine and live til it's 20, but it's just not a high quality food. But for what you pay for SD/Hills, you could be getting a better product for your pet.
My oldest son came over right after we had fed our dog Innova canned food and when he walked into the house he asked what I was cooking!

I am embarassed at how ignorant I was about animal byproducts. And I always assumed that a major brand must be good. You all have given me so much info and I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or