U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,634,424 times

Advertisements

...to your dog, you expect a certain response or interaction. What if you see the exact opposite of what you'd hoped?

I made that introduction on Independence Day and for the first time since we've been seeing each other, I saw a red flag. My friend made no effort to pet my dog, in fact made no attempt to even speak to my dog. In fact, he made no effort to even acknowledge my dog that couldn't wait for another pair of hands to scratch his ears or give him a tummy rub. And the dog in question is a vibrant, tail-wagging, happy to know EVERYONE, Heinz 57 kind of dog.

I dare say my dog picks my friends but in this case, the lack of response from the person did more to dampen my feelings toward him than anything my dog could have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:35 AM

16 posts, read 26,294 times
I agree

Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 AM

753 posts, read 2,217,064 times
It sounds to me like he is not an animal lover. I would ask him about it for sure because if the relationship continues, it may reach a point when he expects you to get rid of the dog.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
It sounds to me like he is not an animal lover. I would ask him about it for sure because if the relationship continues, it may reach a point when he expects you to get rid of the dog.
I'm more apt to cut off my legs.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 AM

593 posts, read 2,559,936 times
Sometimes people want to play with the dogs and sometimes they don't want to have anything to do with the dogs. I'm more concerned with the dogs distinguishing between those two different types of people.

If by "friend" you mean a boyfriend or girlfriend, if they aren't into dogs and you are that could be a little bit of a problem. Maybe not.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,196,822 times
Let the red flag be your guide. If he doesn't want anything to do with your dog (or any pet for that matter), he isn't the one for you.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,412,197 times
You will always have a connection to your pets that no one else will have. Why? Because they are your pets. I will acknowledge some else's pets but will never feel the same bond as I do with my own.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,661,426 times
Compatibility certainly is important. Any "friend" I have had better like sharing the house with a friendly APBT.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:29 PM

214 posts, read 602,556 times
The one trait I ALWAYS found attractive in men was a love of children and animals.It says a lot about someone if they don't even make an attempt to be "friendly" with your dog. This man is not trying to hard to impress you...it may indicate how seriously he takes the relationship.

My husband grew up without pets...in particular, he had no affinity for cats. But when we were dating, he would show up with flowers for me, and treats for my cats! He ended up best buddies with them. How could I say no to a guy like that?

We have been married for 15 years....he still claims to not be an "animal lover", but every pet I end up getting seems to bond with him. He has put up with stray cats, birds, rabbits, etc. The stray cat I took in, which he didn't really want, is in love with him. She sleeps in bed with us, curled up next to HIM! He buys her toys and catnip.

He is also a wonderful, hands-on father....not a surprise!

This new friend should have tried harder with the dog..if only to demonstrate he intends to stick around. Its like a new boyfriend being introduced to your parents, and being unfriendly and rude. Take it as a sign that he is not going to put much effort into this relationship.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 PM

This is not a boyfriend by any means. That's why I called him a friend and left it at that. There is no romance here. I just found it odd since I had made a point of telling him that my dogs were important to me and that they are my sense of security, at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or