Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,663,829 times

Advertisements

Your neighbors must not be old hands at country living or this isn't a real agricultural area. Free running dogs get shot all the time and I don't think its very responsible to just let a dog run where it will like that. Strike one for their team.

Unfortunately, the fight happened on their property. That, in itself, supports an argument that your dog is not adequately contained. A lot of dogs have done a lot of bad things and all of the owners say "she has never done this before and we had no idea she even could." That's not going to be very impressive if this winds up in court. I don't know anything about the political environment in your area, but I will say that there seems to be a general trend towards BSL and vicious dog legislation and a Staffordshire Terrier will have a funny way of being indistinguisheable from the infamous Pit Bull.

I would recommend that you do whatever you need to do to keep this from becoming adversarial. If they ask for help with veterinary bills, you should probably accomodate the request both to preserve the valued friendship of your wonderful neighbors and to take away any reason for them to file a claim. Probably be a lot cheaper, easier and dog keep-ier that way.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,953,955 times
I think as well you might need to purchase a muzzle and keep your dog muzzled while the neighbors dog is out but please if their dog is out always ,always keep an eye on your dog and yes your dog was the aggressor unfortunately and when you have an aggressive breed you have to be one hundred more times carefull than someone who does not own an aggressive breed . i think you are responsible for the medical bills in this case since your dog was the aggressor . good luck whatever happens .

Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,288,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Your neighbors must not be old hands at country living or this isn't a real agricultural area. Free running dogs get shot all the time and I don't think its very responsible to just let a dog run where it will like that. Strike one for their team.

Unfortunately, the fight happened on their property. That, in itself, supports an argument that your dog is not adequately contained. A lot of dogs have done a lot of bad things and all of the owners say "she has never done this before and we had no idea she even could." That's not going to be very impressive if this winds up in court. I don't know anything about the political environment in your area, but I will say that there seems to be a general trend towards BSL and vicious dog legislation and a Staffordshire Terrier will have a funny way of being indistinguisheable from the infamous Pit Bull.

I would recommend that you do whatever you need to do to keep this from becoming adversarial. If they ask for help with veterinary bills, you should probably accomodate the request both to preserve the valued friendship of your wonderful neighbors and to take away any reason for them to file a claim. Probably be a lot cheaper, easier and dog keep-ier that way.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Staffordshire Terrier the proper name for Pit Bull? Pit Bull is a slang name, correct?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:04 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,288,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Let's talk about this.
When I said kennel, I didn't mean a travel carrier. I meant a big outdoor kennel like a 12'x12' or 12x20' fenced in area.
A kennel is humane and responsible shelter.

Keeping your pet restrained within a shelter when the animal cannot be supervised is the responsible thing to do. This not only keeps others safe, it keeps your pet safe from attack from other dogs or wildlife that get loose.

Regardless of training, this type of breed needs supervision. This breed has a lot of fighter dog genes, the jaws are deadly even if you have the sweetest dog in the world, the jaws are still as powerful as they come. This is not just any breed. That is why there are so many BSL laws.

But I will add, all dogs need supervision when outdoors or you run the risk of very bad things happening.
12X20 sounds more reasonable. Remember we are talking about an active medium sized dog here - they need space to run around. And even with the space, they need to be walked everyday. The reason I objected to the kennel is because usually this means a very small enclosed area, where the dog has like 4 feet to run. People leave them in there, and forget about them. They essentially adopted the animal to keep them as a prisoner for life. Sad.

I don't see why the dog can't also be kept indoors? I think its kind of unfair to have one dog oustide all by itself. I wonder if they have other dogs?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

261 posts, read 941,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
12X20 sounds more reasonable. Remember we are talking about an active medium sized dog here - they need space to run around. And even with the space, they need to be walked everyday. The reason I objected to the kennel is because usually this means a very small enclosed area, where the dog has like 4 feet to run. People leave them in there, and forget about them. They essentially adopted the animal to keep them as a prisoner for life. Sad.

I don't see why the dog can't also be kept indoors? I think its kind of unfair to have one dog oustide all by itself. I wonder if they have other dogs?
To respond directly to the above; We have 2 dogs, and the Staffi gets along great with the dog we just got 3 months ago. They both play in the fenced yard during the day in 2 hour shifts. Aside from that they play inside and nap. We would never have a dog that would only be inside unless walked out here in the country. In the city that is common, we felt a large fenced yard with a six foot height was the correct choice to allow for plenty of outside play. We never let the dogs outside of the yard unless walked on rainy days or traveling in the car with us.

We will be increasing the height of our fence another 2 feet and I am searching for a local trainer with proper experience and references. Our neighbor’s dog is fine and so is ours. I think the hurt feelings will last longer than the injuries. Thank you all for your input.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

593 posts, read 2,883,715 times
Quote:
The kennel is not for exercise. It's just a safe place to restrain the dog while the owners cannot keep an eye on them. They can obviously be mis-used if the dog is in there 24/7 and never gets any exercise but the same can be said for living inside the house and not getting any social interaction or exercise. I don't know why people have "outdoor dogs".. I try not to get into that but a kennel really is better than no shelter at all or worse... being chained up to a tree which was made illegal here. My dogs do enjoy their outdoor time but I call them in when I cannot keep an eye on them from inside. Too many what-ifs. We have coyotes around here and kids walking up to the fence etc...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 PM

180 posts, read 954,963 times
I have to agree with everything jimboburnsey wrote.

You might consider one of those slanted tops for the fence. Even if a dog can jump the 6' height, they can't get out and over that top barrier.

I sure hope you and your neighbors can work this one out. What a shame.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,603,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think as well you might need to purchase a muzzle and keep your dog muzzled while the neighbors dog is out but please if their dog is out always ,always keep an eye on your dog and yes your dog was the aggressor unfortunately and when you have an aggressive breed you have to be one hundred more times carefull than someone who does not own an aggressive breed . i think you are responsible for the medical bills in this case since your dog was the aggressor . good luck whatever happens .

BS. Muzzles only make a dog MORE aggressive.

Since they can not vocalize and posture the way they normally would w/o the muzzle, they get even MORE on the offensive and can and do attack.

APBT's/Staffy's/AB/etc.. are NOT human aggressive breeds by nature. Only idiots have trained them to be that way.

I don't think the OP has a thing to pay for. THEIR dog was the instigator (in this occasion and many before this), if they wanted their dog safe and sound, they should have kept the dog at home where it belongs.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,603,393 times
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Staffordshire Terrier the proper name for Pit Bull? Pit Bull is a slang name, correct?
Kinda.

There are quite a few breeds that fall under the "pit bull" moniker.

American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Staffordshire Terrier are the ones commonly labeled as "pit bulls".

Although these breeds are commonly misidentified as "pit bull" as well:

Presa Canario
Cane Corso
Dogo Argentino
Japanese Tosa
Douge De Bordeaux (Hootch from Turner and Hootch)
Alphapa Blue Blood Bulldog
American Bulldog
Boxer
Valley Bulldog
Olde English Bulldogge
American Bully
Visala
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Labrador Retriever
BullMastiff
Fila Brasilerio
Patterdale Terrier
Catahoula
Bull Terrier (Spuds McKenzie)
Black Mouth Cur
Boerboel
Ca De Bou
Thai Ridgeback

Not to mention countless mixed breed dogs of various origin that do not have "pit bull" blood in them but look like a "pit bull".

*Note, all the above listed breeds are pure blood and are NOT mixed breeds.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,663,829 times
Quote:
If you really want to get technical, there is the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Terrier, which is supposedly the British version that is a bit smaller. I think they are essentially the same stock but the two are actually recognized as distinct breeds by the kennel club consortium.

"Labrador Retriever" is commonly mis-identified as a pit bull???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets