Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 AM

698 posts, read 3,267,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
You might ask your vet if there is anything you can use. You could also ask if they know of anyone who would do a house call. Can't hurt to ask.
We have already have found a vet that makes house calls. We just hate to bring a stranger in on her.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM

40 posts, read 155,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
What I remember when I see that spot is that Ben was my wonderful boy and that I was very lucky to have had him for 3 years. I don't think of how much I miss him until I write something like this.
Jessiegee40: I'm choking back tears at your story...... I don't think I would be able to take one look at that hutch for the rest of my life, but I'm glad that it brings you comfort.

Maybe your Labbie and mine are playing together at Rainbow Bridge.... :-/

Old 07-24-2009, 12:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
My 14 year old dog, had kidney failure, the vet did all the blood work, etc., and yes your dog is ill?
Next day, come for 100.00 of meds., got the dog home, and she did die at peace, her home, and yes,
I was holding her. It was early am 5:00 am . I am so gratefull, I got her home, and the vet, that said meds would help, and buy?
I said you are fired! Angel, was sweet, and I did tell her, I will get you, which I did! Vet, could of cared
less, one more dental, down the money drain! My Aussie, now has a vet who does Care! Anyway, the push on dental, for a dog 14 ?
Dream away, no way, would I go there!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Euthanasia is without a doubt the hardest decision any of us will ever have to make in our pet's lives. I always go through a 3 question process when deciding whether it is time:
  • Is my pet suffering?
  • Has it been longer than a week since they have seemed happy, content or comfortable?
  • Has their quality of their life degraded so much that they are no longer the pet I have always known and loved?
If the answer to 2 of these 3 questions is "yes" then its time to face the decision and consider what is best for your pet. Euthanasia is very hard on us but its the final kindness we can do for our fur-kids. As for having it done at home, I'd personally prefer not to. Although I am always with them and holding them at the end, I don't want that sad memory in my house. There is also your pets remains to deal with. I am always very emotional after and couldn't even think about trying to coordinate what to do with the remains too. That would be just to much to handle at that time. I'm lucky since I do have a wonderful vet with a great support staff. Once I've said goodbye, I know they will also be grieving but will handle the final details for me too. Just something to think about

Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
I know there's been threads on here about many aspects of this topic,but I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately since we have a furbaby with terminal cancer and may be faced with it. We've already spoken to a vet (not hers because she doesn't go to the home)) about coming into our home and doing it if it becomes necessary because she hates going to the vet so much and we don't want her to die in that setting. What I've been thinking about is.......why do we have to let a stranger come in here and do it? If we could bring ourselves to do it,why not do it ourselves by giving her tylenol or something? Is this totally out of the question and wrong?
I've been thinking about this as well as my dogs get older. Plus I've heard the medicine they gave them is actually extremely painful for the few minutes before they die.

If your dog was in pain from some sort of terminal illness, wouldn't it make sense to just increase the morphine dosage like they sometimes do in humans?

But I still have some time before I have to face that.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I've been thinking about this as well as my dogs get older. Plus I've heard the medicine they gave them is actually extremely painful for the few minutes before they die.

If your dog was in pain from some sort of terminal illness, wouldn't it make sense to just increase the morphine dosage like they sometimes do in humans?

Where did you hear that the meds given are extremely painful??????Thats not what I've heard and or have seen. I would never EVER contribute to anything that brought my furkids pain. Please let me know the source as I'd like to check it out myself.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:

That couldn't be further from the truth. It is basically an overdose. They close their eyes and go to sleep. I have done it with 4 of my Goldens and each and every time it has been the same...they are NOT in pain.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Where did you hear that the meds given are extremely painful??????Thats not what I've heard and or have seen. I would never EVER contribute to anything that brought my furkids pain. Please let me know the source as I'd like to check it out myself.
You'll be surprised who said it. My brother had to put his cat to sleep after he got very sick from kidney failure.

Afterward he was talking to the vet tech and he said "well, at least he didn't feel any pain." And the vet tech said, "Oh, no. The medicine they give them is extremely painful."

I guess because one med paralyzes the body - the dog/cat can't move to indicate pain when they are feeling it. That is when the other med kicks in to stop the heart - which I guess is extremely painful.

This is what she told him. Who knows why she said it.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You'll be surprised who said it. My brother had to put his cat to sleep after he got very sick from kidney failure.

Afterward he was talking to the vet tech and he said "well, at least he didn't feel any pain." And the vet tech said, "Oh, no. The medicine they give them is extremely painful."

I guess because one med paralyzes the body - the dog/cat can't move to indicate pain when they are feeling it. That is when the other med kicks in to stop the heart - which I guess is extremely painful.

This is what she told him. Who knows why she said it.
Your brother either heard her wrong or that vet tech is an idiot! All Vets I've worked with give 2 meds. The first med they give them knocks them out (anesthesia) making them completely incapable of feeling any pain. You can see it does not paralyze as your pet will still be breathing. Its the same type meds used for anesthesia for surgery. The second shot stops resp and cardio function. That would be painful, which is the reason there are very specific hands on tests that are done to make sure an animal is COMPLETELY UNDER and feeling no pain before administering the second meds.

If you would like, I can post some links so you can see for yourself.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Your brother either heard her wrong or that vet tech is an idiot! All Vets I've worked with give 2 meds. The first med they give them knocks them out (anesthesia) making them completely incapable of feeling any pain. You can see it does not paralyze as your pet will still be breathing. Its the same type meds used for anesthesia for surgery. The second shot stops resp and cardio function. That would be painful, which is the reason there are very specific hands on tests that are done to make sure an animal is COMPLETELY UNDER and feeling no pain before administering the second meds.

If you would like, I can post some links so you can see for yourself.
Yes, please post them. That happened over 4 years ago and my brother is still upset about it.

Thanks.

Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets