U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
Yes, please post them. That happened over 4 years ago and my brother is still upset about it.

Thanks.

Liz
Here are the guidelines for the Human Society of the US. This guideline is used by most vets.

The HSUS Statement on Euthanasia Methods for Animals in Shelters (http://www.animalsheltering.org/resource_library/policies_and_guidelines/statement_on_euthanasia.html - broken link)

Here is another one. This is more true in the UK though

Dogs Trust: Information: Dog A-Z: E: Euthanasia

In fact google "Is canine euthenasia painful" you will not find ONE site that says it is!

I need to get to the store so will post more later if needed.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:51 PM

700 posts, read 2,936,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Euthanasia is without a doubt the hardest decision any of us will ever have to make in our pet's lives. I always go through a 3 question process when deciding whether it is time:
  • Is my pet suffering?
  • Has it been longer than a week since they have seemed happy, content or comfortable?
  • Has their quality of their life degraded so much that they are no longer the pet I have always known and loved?
If the answer to 2 of these 3 questions is "yes" then its time to face the decision and consider what is best for your pet. Euthanasia is very hard on us but its the final kindness we can do for our fur-kids. As for having it done at home, I'd personally prefer not to. Although I am always with them and holding them at the end, I don't want that sad memory in my house. There is also your pets remains to deal with. I am always very emotional after and couldn't even think about trying to coordinate what to do with the remains too. That would be just to much to handle at that time. I'm lucky since I do have a wonderful vet with a great support staff. Once I've said goodbye, I know they will also be grieving but will handle the final details for me too. Just something to think about
The vet that we found that our furbaby's vet highly recommends that comes to the home does cremation as well,so he would take her with him to be cremated right after the euthanasia,so that wouldn't be an issue. We have a great vet and staff as well,but she hates to go and I hate the thoughts of that being her last memory. I think she would be much more comfortable spending her last moments in the comfort of her own home. It all about her,not us.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,126,605 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about this as well as my dogs get older. Plus I've heard the medicine they gave them is actually extremely painful for the few minutes before they die.
If the vet was using one of the approved euthanasia solutions, and if the injection is done correctly within the vein then this is absoutely, positively not true. What a horrible thing for the tech to say.

Last edited by kansas sky; 07-24-2009 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,481,010 times
I had a dog, not my dog, anyway, she was called Angel! Her passion was to chase a lizzard, and give
love! One day, Angel was age 12, old? no way, anyway, Angel, and me also, and her Aussie friend!

Live the life, which she did, see a lizzard, and, watch! A great dog, on the first day of summer, did
go to heaven! Sweet? Yes! She did fight without a wimp, and did live til age 14! We did it our way! She saw, her life, and the sunshine at dawn!
She loved people, and dogs, cats, birds, were all friends! She did stand with me with the vet, her Love, and peace I did get! Her best friend, got a great
vet, why! Angel!

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-24-2009 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,481,010 times
Quote:
You'll be surprised who said it. My brother had to put his cat to sleep after he got very sick from kidney failure.

Afterward he was talking to the vet tech and he said "well, at least he didn't feel any pain." And the vet tech said, "Oh, no. The medicine they give them is extremely painful."

I guess because one med paralyzes the body - the dog/cat can't move to indicate pain when they are feeling it. That is when the other med kicks in to stop the heart - which I guess is extremely painful.

This is what she told him. Who knows why she said it.
I am so glad,
my dog was in my arms, and out yes the first day of summer! I gave my heart
and she gave so much more! Angel also had the kidney failure, however, we did fight with health for 2 great year, rest at Peace!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
The vet that we found that our furbaby's vet highly recommends that comes to the home does cremation as well,so he would take her with him to be cremated right after the euthanasia,so that wouldn't be an issue. We have a great vet and staff as well,but she hates to go and I hate the thoughts of that being her last memory. I think she would be much more comfortable spending her last moments in the comfort of her own home. It all about her,not us.
Please don't think I'm in any way saying that I'm against having a vet come to your home. Its just not something I would do. You have to do what you feel is best for your situation. Taking care of your fur-kid - you are right - that IS what matters.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,648,646 times
I have worked in a small animal vet didn't experience anything horrible for putting to sleep. Yes they sedate them first then give the over dose -- never seen an dog or cat go uncomfortable. Now if you want to talk horse had a horrible experience.. With a horse I will only use a gun after what went threw and he did too. Don't want to go into details.

My own life. Don't give any cat any form of asprin... makes them seizure and it is ugle.

I have had vets come to the house for putting someone down. My cats yes come to house yes it is stranger but still in comfort of own home.

I did this also with a dog - I am 40 on my third dog basically... for basic information of what to do with dogs is a differnt story.

I loved my healer from hell the best of all time for 16 years. She had so many injuries going after bulls horses thought she should be gone at 8 or 9.. she kept going until 16 and I realized I was keeping her alive beyond what she should have. It was all about me not wanting to loose her. I had a hard time believing it was her time to go because she was still living and wanting to live right? She had bad congestive heart faliure by then.

Once I really realized I needed to do something I gave her steak all her favorite people food. She lived to be in the truck- loved the truck. Life was good if in the truck. I took her to my large animal vet that had a barn outside of his house. Just looked like going to a BBQ not going to vet. He put her down in back of the truck never had to see a vet room........or go into office so no stress.

For dogs this is an good option. If you can't find a vet to come to your house you need to find a large animal vet - they always do house calls. Ya you will pay more but much better in my mind.

Good luck in your decision you will know when enough is enough.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:25 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,050,990 times
Take your furbaby to a vet if one won't come to your home.
They can give a professional and painless injection that just puts them to sleep.
Animals don't have the ability to think about the end of life like humans do. They don't have that mental anquish that we have.
Taking it into your own hands may just cause more suffering and prolonged agony.
Let someone who knows how to put down a pet with the least amount of discomfort do it.
The only thing the pet really needs is for its owner to be there to hold it and comfort it. Doesn't matter if its at a vets office.
It isn't easy. It is much more painful for the owner than it is for the pet. But we owe it to them to make it as easy as possible and not experiment with what we think might be painless.
The only painless "home remedy" is a bullit to the brain.
They don't feel anything because it is so quick. But what if you miss and hit the shoulder or spine or whatever.
I couldn't do that. I have had the misfortune of having to put down pets through the years. I let the pros do it. I know they just go to sleep while I hold and talk to them.
Letting them go on their own is an option but how many more days of suffering does that cause? I don't want to see my friend suffer and maybe die alone while I might be asleep. I would rather it went while I was with it and letting it know I still loved it and be there for it untill its last breath.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 AM

1,050 posts, read 2,992,911 times
I have made an appointment at the vet, for our "Goldie", for Monday at 6pm. she is 14 and had a good life. She will be missed, but this is for her sake....she has gone downhill the past two weeks.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I have made an appointment at the vet, for our "Goldie", for Monday at 6pm. she is 14 and had a good life. She will be missed, but this is for her sake....she has gone downhill the past two weeks.
My heart goes out to you. Our Choco Lab Bandit is also 14 and with the signs I'm seeing it also won't be very long for us. Hugs to you and to Goldie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets