U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,258,094 times

Advertisements

+1 to Coastie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,157,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The details don't matter.
Translation: "The FACTS don't matter"

Quote:
Yes, they are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, but the police were there to gather evidence.
No, they weren't. Legally, they were only there to SERVE a warrant. The fact that they were permitted to peruse the former resident's abandoned property was due to the permission of the residents.

Quote:
...why on earth would the girl be afraid of a couple of police officers? Aren't all children taught to trust and listen to police officers?
I should hope not. Most of them are corrupt, and many criminals POSE as police officers to gain entry to homes.

Quote:
Since when should a dog sensing fear or apprehension regard that a threat?
Uh, since ALWAYS?

Quote:
Only in YOUR opinion. You weren't there.
Neither were YOU. But UNLIKE you, I have 40+ CHARACTER WITNESSES, including animal behavior experts.

Quote:
They take an oath to protect the public (humans)
Mark my words - within the next 10 years, pets will be acknowledged by the law as sentient beings, not mere "property." The "public" includes innocent animals.

Quote:
No. Dante didn't train Zeus properly or enough.
Okay, now I get it. You want to hold animals to the same STANDARD as humans, but refuse to afford them the same RIGHTS as humans.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
For one of my classes in college, my professor had the police auditor come in to speak to us (this is in Los Angeles). He was the head of an independent organization that would investigate charges of police abusing their authority. He said that most of the cases he handled involved police officers shooting dogs! I was very surprised. In most cases, even if the dog is aggressive, shooting them can be avoided. Just take the example of Cruelty to Animals Officers who confiscate dogs all the time. Many of the dogs they capture are very aggressive, but no harm is done to the animal.

It is evil. Pure and simple.
THANK YOU!

I would love it if you could remember any studies, or the name of the organization, etc. Feel free to DM me.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
No, Liz, it's ridiculous, pure and simple, that you think an officer should suffer these kinds of injuries on account of some woman and her beloved dog:

I wonder how many of you who condemn the police would put their money where their mouth is and allow their hand to be destroyed by a vicious dog because shooting it would be "...evil. Pure and simple."
This propaganda video is completely irrelevant. And yes, I watched it - that's how I know.

The OWNER TRAINED the dog to attack - that can be done with ANY BREED.

Feel free to offer up some REAL evidence, or shut up.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Liz, there is a difference between an Animal Control Officer and a Police Officer. Animal Control is trained to handle dogs, that's thier job, and thier focus.
And that's the PROBLEM. If they don't know what they're doing, they either need more training, or to call animal control for back-up.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,258,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Most of them are corrupt...
No kidding, do you know that for a fact? At least it's a tacit acknowledgment that the reason for your original post is to trash police officers as another poster previously said (and which you denied, of course). It has and had absolutely nothing to do with animal welfare. It usually does not.

Quote:
...or shut up.
Your rebuttal is to tell someone to shut up? LOL...I'm sure you'll do wonderfully in debate class.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 08-05-2009 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: splng

Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM

287 posts, read 796,372 times
Quote:
Feel free to offer up some REAL evidence, or shut up.
Feel free to add something to this thread besides "WAAAHHHHH!!!!!! Everything's the police's fault just because I hate them!"

Honestly, Mearth, your tantrum is getting old. I'm afraid you've failed convincing anyone with your rant here, but that is probably the usual result of your endeavors.

Last edited by CoastieTX; 08-07-2009 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: GIF error

Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,934,196 times
Quote:
THANK YOU!

I would love it if you could remember any studies, or the name of the organization, etc. Feel free to DM me.

I will look into some finding some figures for you. I only wish I had asked more questions to the Police Auditor concerning these cases.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,934,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
In addition, your expectation that the police should have adequate training so they can respond to and resolve every conceivable scenario with no adverse effects is over the top, indeed.
The scenario that a household would have a dog is a very common one. In fact, I would bet that it is probably thee most common scenario. Over the top is planning a response for blood thirsty vampires - necessary is planning on how to subdue a household dog. I know people who are firemen and they spend much of the year in training. The types of jobs which are often high stress and deal with emergency situations require more training. Police work falls into that category.

I have to admit that I do not have the time or patience to read your very lengthy posts. Its called summarizing - it was taught in the third grade, look it up. If you want to write a dissertation, go to grad school. If you want to debate, shorten the length of your posts. I don't know who lied and told you, you win debates by boring the hell out of your opponents but I'm telling you now they were wrong. I have better things to do with my time.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 PM

287 posts, read 796,372 times
Liz, courtesy of my local newspaper, the Bellingham Herald:

"The patrol division responds to about 175 to 200 calls for service on an average day. It has a full staff of 27 uniformed officers and command staff available to respond, said Lt. Scott Snider..."

Source: Bellingham, Whatcom County Local News | Bellingham Herald (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/102/story/1018782.html - broken link)

Despite the fact the police have responded to over 219,000 calls since I've lived here, many involving households and dogs, I'm sure, my records search and memory reveals no instances of officers shooting dogs. In fact, the only instances of dog abuse in connection with the police involved citizens assaulting and/or killing department K-9s!

The fact of the matter is if you and Mearth were sincere in your desires to preserve animal welfare, your efforts would be focused on irresponsible owners. But facts have a way of being ignored by people with hidden agendas, don't they, Liz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizCab44 View Post
I have to admit that I do not have the time or patience to read your very lengthy posts. Its called summarizing - it was taught in the third grade, look it up. If you want to write a dissertation, go to grad school. If you want to debate, shorten the length of your posts. I don't know who lied and told you, you win debates by boring the hell out of your opponents but I'm telling you now they were wrong. I have better things to do with my time.
Summary: I can't take the time to educate myself on the very topic I complain about, and while I can debate with my third grade students, I can't keep up with an educated adult.

Is that concise enough? Don't kid yourself, Liz, I didn't write that "dissertation" on your behalf. Others read these posts, too. If they didn't, I wouldn't have received 12 reputation points from it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or