U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,154,239 times

Advertisements

It is a concerning trend - police officers enter a citizen's property, and either kill or seize family dogs.

Here in the D.C. metro area, there have been at least 3 cases (that I know of) of this happening in the last year - in ALL 3, the officers were at the WRONG residence.

Case 1: Victim was a MAYOR (and his family) in Maryland. 2 labs were shot and killed.
Case 2: Residents were not even home at another MD residence, and the family German Shepherd was tied up - he was shot twice, and when the owners arrived home, died on the way to the hospital.
Case 3: Arlington, VA resident's dog was seized and held for 6 weeks, now family faces legal fees, among other charges, just to keep the dog.

Details of the Arlington case (and links to the other cases) are here: Help Zeus the Lovable Pit Bull!

There, you can sign the online petition, or donate to help the family.

Pets are more than property - they are family members. This abuse of power MUST be stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM

150 posts, read 866,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
It is a concerning trend - police officers enter a citizen's property, and either kill or seize family dogs.

Here in the D.C. metro area, there have been at least 3 cases (that I know of) of this happening in the last year - in ALL 3, the officers were at the WRONG residence.

Case 1: Victim was a MAYOR (and his family) in Maryland. 2 labs were shot and killed.
Case 2: Residents were not even home at another MD residence, and the family German Shepherd was tied up - he was shot twice, and when the owners arrived home, died on the way to the hospital.
Case 3: Arlington, VA resident's dog was seized and held for 6 weeks, now family faces legal fees, among other charges, just to keep the dog.

Details of the Arlington case (and links to the other cases) are here: Help Zeus the Lovable Pit Bull!

There, you can sign the online petition, or donate to help the family.

Pets are more than property - they are family members. This abuse of power MUST be stopped.
Yikes, how terrible. I will sign the petition and write a few emails this weekend.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM

753 posts, read 2,216,677 times
Then police wonder why the public doesn't like them!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,973,872 times
Please keep in mind this is a few cases and certainly not representative of all law enforcement. My husband and I were in law enforcement for a long time before retiring and starting a pet rescue. The very vast majority of the people we worked with were just as responsible and caring for pets as we are.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM

13,776 posts, read 18,672,534 times
I think in most cases cops should check before entering someones yard for any signs of a dog like such as barking , duh ? and a sign that says beware of dogs . we had a police officer back in lebanon who entered someones yard and got bitten and he then tried to sue the homeowner for his medical bills the judge told him no since he willfully entered the yard regardless of the beware of dog signs . the judge was quoted in the local newspaper as having said that the police officer was negligent in not reading the signs that the family residing there had put up.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Please keep in mind this is a few cases and certainly not representative of all law enforcement. My husband and I were in law enforcement for a long time before retiring and starting a pet rescue. The very vast majority of the people we worked with were just as responsible and caring for pets as we are.
I'm sure that's true. And I'm sure there are plenty of good people at the ACPD.

But this officer, AND his cronies need some serious reprimanding.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think in most cases cops should check before entering someones yard for any signs of a dog like such as barking , duh ? and a sign that says beware of dogs . we had a police officer back in lebanon who entered someones yard and got bitten and he then tried to sue the homeowner for his medical bills the judge told him no since he willfully entered the yard regardless of the beware of dog signs . the judge was quoted in the local newspaper as having said that the police officer was negligent in not reading the signs that the family residing there had put up.
Any chance you could find that link?

It might help as precedent. There was a "Beware of FRIENDLY dog" sign on this guy's front window.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,249,601 times
Quote:
I'm sure that's true. And I'm sure there are plenty of good people at the ACPD. But this officer, AND his cronies need some serious reprimanding.
I've read about the case and without a doubt I agree with you. However, I think the the title of your thread is a bit inflamatory and generalized. JMO.

Did you read about the case of a NM mayor who was caught DRAGGING a dog by a leash while driving his car? Apparently, he was angry at the dog. There're plenty of horror stories like that everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
we had a police officer back in lebanon who entered someones yard and got bitten and he then tried to sue the homeowner for his medical bills the judge told him no since he willfully entered the yard regardless of the beware of dog signs . the judge was quoted in the local newspaper as having said that the police officer was negligent in not reading the signs that the family residing there had put up.
Interesting, since as a public employee his injuries would've been covered. I'd like to read that link as well. Wonder what that officer was doing in the person's back yard~

Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I've read about the case and without a doubt I agree with you. However, I think the the title of your thread is a bit inflamatory and generalized. JMO.
You're right. But it got you to read it

The website itself is much more even-keel.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:35 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,249,601 times
Quote:
You're right. But it got you to read it

The website itself is much more even-keel.
Sure, I know. But I would've read it anyway. I've already signed a petition and already knew about the case. I just don't like that kind of advertising because there are a heck of a lot of people (witness this thread - ) who live to generalize about others.

I like Dr. Jane Goodall's reasoning with regard to sensationalism. It's something along the lines of "if you scream, no one will listen." Are there any of us who thinks she cares less about animal welfare because she is even-keeled?

Of course I understand why people get so emotional about animal abuse and torture. I do myself. But, it's always good to be target specific rather than throw out broad generalizations. Again, JMO

Anyhoo, I get your point. All's good ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or