U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 AM

28,192 posts, read 47,521,812 times

Advertisements

A nitrogen-rich chemical used to make plastic and sometimes as a fertilizer may have been deliberately added to an ingredient in pet food that has sickened and killed cats and dogs across the country, public and private officials say. A leading theory is that it was added to fake higher protein levels.
Melamine has been found in wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate and, in South Africa, corn gluten, all imported from China, and all meant for use in pet food, the Food and Drug Administration confirmed Thursday.

"It adds to the theory when you see other products that are labeled as protein supplements, in this case rice protein, and in South Africa corn gluten and in the previous case wheat gluten," said Stephen Sundlof, FDA chief veterinarian. "That melamine was found in all three of those, it would certainly lend credibility to the theory that this was intentional."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ood-usat_N.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,379,398 times
Default Recall expanded - Again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A nitrogen-rich chemical used to make plastic and sometimes as a fertilizer may have been deliberately added to an ingredient in pet food that has sickened and killed cats and dogs across the country, public and private officials say. A leading theory is that it was added to fake higher protein levels.
Melamine has been found in wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate and, in South Africa, corn gluten, all imported from China, and all meant for use in pet food, the Food and Drug Administration confirmed Thursday.

"It adds to the theory when you see other products that are labeled as protein supplements, in this case rice protein, and in South Africa corn gluten and in the previous case wheat gluten," said Stephen Sundlof, FDA chief veterinarian. "That melamine was found in all three of those, it would certainly lend credibility to the theory that this was intentional."

Melamine in pet food may not be accidental - USATODAY.com

Hi All (thanks for that post, John1960),

There's been a lot more disturbing news coming out on the pet food recall, including NEW RECALLS from Blue Buffalo and Royal Canin. Some of the info covered in the FDA press conference Thursday afternoon (4/19) included:

- The chemical melamine has been found in wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, and corn gluten. So far the tainted corn gluten has been reported only in products in Africa, but it also originated from China and they don't seem to have started testing for melamine in corn gluten in the US yet. Link to news story on S. African recall:
Pet-food poison from SA firm: South Africa: News: News24 (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2101493,00.html - broken link)

- They have info that some of the contaminated ingredients may have been fed to hogs. They are investigating this and if these hogs could have made it into the pet or human food supply.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

I'm not a vet or an expert on any of this. Just trying to spread the word as this problem expands and expands and expands... Permission to crosspost this if you feel it could help.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM

284 posts, read 1,563,684 times
Great info southward bound! I especially the link to The Pet Food List because choosing the best food for a pet can be so confusing under normal circumstances. We were so lucky to have changed from one of the recalled brands -- pets just started refusing it many months ago. It was so hard then (prior to the recall) to find a new brand, so I can only imagine how hard it must be for the poor owners affected by the recall. I even noticed new brands or packages in the pet store this week (adding to the confusion, I'm sure). It is wonderful that someone has made searching for pet foods a little easier with the website that you posted!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM

5,138 posts, read 7,206,810 times
Default Itchmo website.

I shop at an independent petstore and the owner just gave me the Itchmo link. As it's already been posted, check out the date the CFO sold his stock. This guy needs to be prosecuted for insider trading. I hope they send him away for a long, long time.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:07 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,983,887 times
My head hurts...I may have to start cooking for my dogs soon.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 AM

13,842 posts, read 25,226,802 times
Try some Chicken Soup. It's made by Diamond and they use only US made ingredients. My dog loves it and is in good shape.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 53,861,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Try some Chicken Soup. It's made by Diamond and they use only US made ingredients. My dog loves it and is in good shape.
Diamond had a recall about a year ago on some of their food too. I wonder if the same thing was happening with their food then? Dogs were dying from their food too but I haven't heard much about it in the past few months.

We are almost out of our dog food and really don't know what to buy now. We use dry, Nutro Lamb and Rice but now with the rice recall, who knows????

Old 04-25-2007, 12:21 AM

4,654 posts, read 15,741,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Diamond had a recall about a year ago on some of their food too. I wonder if the same thing was happening with their food then? Dogs were dying from their food too but I haven't heard much about it in the past few months.

We are almost out of our dog food and really don't know what to buy now. We use dry, Nutro Lamb and Rice but now with the rice recall, who knows????
Just check with the manufacturer to make certain their grains are domestic and see which manufacturing plants they use.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,820,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A nitrogen-rich chemical used to make plastic and sometimes as a fertilizer may have been deliberately added to an ingredient in pet food that has sickened and killed cats and dogs across the country, public and private officials say.
I hope this wakes a few more people up to something. The manufacturing/manufacturers in China are out for profit, not for US Citizen (or our pets) well-being. Did you know that in China there are counterfit manufacturing rings which profit from producing and distributing fake-infant formula? It is for real. Indeed for profit, some people will do literally anything including kill infants and pets.

People please be cautious out there... our govt. isn't doing a thorough job protecting us from the international profiteering going on these days.

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 04-25-2007, 05:27 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,341,130 times
This is not going to stop here, just wait and see. I wish we could ban all food from other countries, not that the US is perfect but how many times have you heard about this in years past, before it was the norm to have foreign foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or