U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:06 PM

926 posts, read 2,451,586 times

Advertisements

Why isnt there a widely accepted pet health insurance policy like there is for humans?

My box turtle that I have had since I was 4 years old has a vitamin deficency and the ER visit cost $150 and the vet visit a few days later cost $350 AND I have to bring her back to the vet every other week!

I have the CareCard (carecard.com) and it is accepted at many vets but it is not health insurance, it is a credit card that lets you make payments.

This is fine for these office visits, but she may have to be hospitalized and thats $250+ a day!!!

Does anyone know of a pet health insurance that has copays/deductibles like human health insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 02:16 PM

593 posts, read 2,559,936 times
There is pet insurance out there. Just google for pet insurance and you will find lots of places selling it. A lot of vets have brochures for pet insurance in their offices at the reception counter. Try that too.

I saw some brochures for pet insurance at the customer service counter for pet insurance at my neighborhood Kroger supermarket.

I don't know if they cover box turtles but I'm pretty sure they cover cats and dogs.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 PM

926 posts, read 2,451,586 times
The two offices I went to just plug their care card. Its just a credit card but they said they dot file insurance papers and dnt know any very that would

Thanks for the reply though!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:25 PM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,524,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Why isnt there a widely accepted pet health insurance policy like there is for humans?

My box turtle that I have had since I was 4 years old has a vitamin deficency and the ER visit cost $150 and the vet visit a few days later cost $350 AND I have to bring her back to the vet every other week!

I have the CareCard (carecard.com) and it is accepted at many vets but it is not health insurance, it is a credit card that lets you make payments.

This is fine for these office visits, but she may have to be hospitalized and thats $250+ a day!!!

Does anyone know of a pet health insurance that has copays/deductibles like human health insurance?
Ummm... so you now want to get a pet insurance plan that pays for all your old turtle's medical bills, but you want this plan to cost you a fraction of those expenses. I don't know any insurance company that would want to sell that sort of policy to you. Why would they want to take a loss on a policy like that? Why not just put aside 20% of your weekly paycheck as a rainy day fund for things such as car repairs or your turtle's medical bills. Owning a pet just costs money, especially when they get older.

I think that there are some pet insurance plans out there, but they only write them up for young pets, not older ones. Or the cheapest premiums are for those pet owners that get them right away when their pet is young and healthy. Getting a new insurance plan for an older pet (or older human being) is just a lot more expensive as an older creature (or older person) is a lot more likely to get seriously sick and be needing expensive health care. But when you are paying those health insurance premiums for your pet from the beginning, those premiums build up sort of a slush fund that later on is what pays for those later expenses when your pet gets old.

Also, whether it's a pet or for a human being, insurance plans don't cover pre-existing conditions. It's one thing to begin a policy for a healthy pet, but once the pet or human is sick, it's too late. Insurance companies are businesses that are run for profit. They only stay in business as long as the majority of their policy holders are healthy. No insurance company can survive on having only sick pets and people being covered by their policy holders.

And I don't know why people feel they deserve free health care... especially the people that live an unhealthy lifestyle like being grossly overweight, or being smokers, and not exercising, or those having large families. I sure as heck don't want my tax dollars or insurance premiums going to cover their medical expenses.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:49 PM

593 posts, read 2,559,936 times
babybyrl,,,
this is the one I see advertised all over the place... VPI Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI) - Dog Insurance, Cat Insurance, Pet Health Insurance

Just like with private health insurance companies, their main objective is profit.
This is why I don't have pet insurance and for that matter that is the reason I don't have health insurance myself. I figure I can set aside a few bucks each month into rainy day savings and that will go to cover vet bills.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,290,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post

There are definitely specialized pet health insurance companies but I think they are not that widespread because there are not a lot of people that would spend $500 for hospitalization of a box turtle. A lot of people spend a lot of money on health care for their dogs and cats, but in general I don't think that pet health insurance is a very good business model. Copays and premiums would need to be quite high for the insurance company to make any money - here's why: People who are inclined to get coverage for their pet are probably necessarily spending a lot of time and money on veterinary care and it would be difficult to charge a premium acceptable to the pet owner and still have the insurance company come out money ahead. People who do not spend a lot of money on veterinary care (the people the insurance company would want to cover) are certainly going to be loathe to pay big premiums out of pocket for their dogs, cats, chinchillas, etc. so the insurance company is stuck with a risky, spendy base that is almost completely unsupported by a low-risk, non-spendy population. Maybe it will happen if veterinary care continues to get more expensive, but for now it seems impractical at best.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 AM

593 posts, read 2,243,353 times
I'd agree with miu's recommendation of setting up a "rainy day" savings account that you regularly put money into rather than buying pet insurance.

I think that something like car insurance is worthwhile because of the liability factor...if you slid on some ice and ran into 2 other cars, the damages could surely go into the 100,000+ range. So it's necessary to have that insurance b/c it would significantly impact your lifetime financial situation.

But while pets can be expensive to care for, the costs aren't as stratospheric as something like a bad car accident could be. So you might as well pay yourself every paycheck, and then if something happens, the money will be there.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,723,420 times
I must chime in here only because from the posting above I am an idoit for having insurance. BTW I do save for a rainy day as well. My point is I have a Newfoundland which is a large dog and his medical cost which he has not had many, but when he does are easier to take care of with insurance. I also have maintance insurance (or routine care ins) on him, which means if I am a good mommy and take him to the vet for his yearly check ups and shots I get close to fully refunded for my cost. Which helps pay for the vet visit, his heart guard, shots...etc.

Now it is true that most insurance companies don't insure older animals. You must sign up when they are rather young. Even though I pay a monthly insurance bill I am happy to do so because I have piece of mind knowing they are there when something happens.

Now with that said I have four other dogs I do not have insurance on, only because they are smaller lap dogs and again I save and make sure they are well cared for as well. So having insurance on a pet has it's pros and cons. I for one don't see life without it for my 200lb Newfie.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM

283 posts, read 728,601 times
I signed up for VPI insurance for my 3 year old cat. They wanted a lot of info. They also wanted her medical file from my vet. Since I only had her 8 months, the only time I went to the vet was for a booster vaccination. It was a lot of trouble so I canceled the application and resorted to putting $100 in a separate bank account.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
miu

17,099 posts, read 34,524,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
I must chime in here only because from the posting above I am an idoit for having insurance. BTW I do save for a rainy day as well. My point is I have a Newfoundland which is a large dog and his medical cost which he has not had many, but when he does are easier to take care of with insurance. I also have maintance insurance (or routine care ins) on him, which means if I am a good mommy and take him to the vet for his yearly check ups and shots I get close to fully refunded for my cost. Which helps pay for the vet visit, his heart guard, shots...etc.

Now it is true that most insurance companies don't insure older animals. You must sign up when they are rather young. Even though I pay a monthly insurance bill I am happy to do so because I have piece of mind knowing they are there when something happens.

Now with that said I have four other dogs I do not have insurance on, only because they are smaller lap dogs and again I save and make sure they are well cared for as well. So having insurance on a pet has it's pros and cons. I for one don't see life without it for my 200lb Newfie.
How much do your Newfie's health insurance premiums cost you annually?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or