U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,589,691 times

Advertisements

Psh. At one point I had 3 feeder hogs, 6 horses (4 adult, 2 foals), around 75 dairy goats, close to 150 chickens, 25 or so rabbits, 8 dogs, 4 cats, 2 steers, a replacement heifer, 3 parakeets and an iguana.

Of course, my best friend had quite the menagerie as well, but you could add 4 sugar gliders, 2 pet skunks, 2 ferrets and 2 kapuchin monkeys to her list.

This was all when I was round 16 or so, it's down to 5 goats, 7 dogs and cats now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,549,043 times
I think 1 pet could become a zoo, if you don't have time for them. If you have a dog that just sits in the backyard and you look at through your window, that's a zoo.....If you have several pets and have the time for them, that they deserve and require, then they are pets and part of the family...

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
How many pets constitute a zoo? Its always one more than I currently have at my home

Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,723,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
How many pets constitute a zoo? Its always one more than I currently have at my home
Of course

Old 07-24-2009, 03:47 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,634,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I like that answer!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 AM

830 posts, read 2,357,398 times
If I had tigers and lions I'd say I have a zoo.

I just have "a lot of pets". Currently 10 cats, 1 dog, 2 chickens plus fish and snails (who are only home for the summer, normally they live in my classroom).

To answer your question, what does the average person think constitutes a zoo (or an unusual number of pets) depends... Among my friends who do rescue, most of them probably think I'm not doing my fair share with my puny number But non-pet familiar people probably would think anything over 2 cats is suspect. I don't tell people how many cats I have for that reason. When they ask, I say "a bunch". When they say "Like, 12?" I say "Oh god, no, not 12!". Cats seem to get the worst rap - you must be a weirdo if you have a lot.

And as far as limiting relationships - I always figure, why would someone want to limit themselves by being with someone who doesn't like animals? Yuck. That's creepy. I'm highly suspicious that a person lacks empathy if they don't like to be around animals.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:04 PM

244 posts, read 612,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
But non-pet familiar people probably would think anything over 2 cats is suspect. I don't tell people how many cats I have for that reason. When they ask, I say "a bunch". When they say "Like, 12?" I say "Oh god, no, not 12!". Cats seem to get the worst rap - you must be a weirdo if you have a lot.

And as far as limiting relationships - I always figure, why would someone want to limit themselves by being with someone who doesn't like animals? Yuck. That's creepy. I'm highly suspicious that a person lacks empathy if they don't like to be around animals.

I hear you on all of your points. I am currently trying to convince hubby to let me add a third cat to our brood. I was telling some people about kitty(Lucy) and they were like, "You're getting a third cat!:insert absurd, are you crazy look here:" OR "You don't need a third cat" I'm thinking Holy Crap, I love my kitties now, just think how much fun one more would be. Plus, my other two are extremely sociable, people always comment on how they "greet" them and hang out.

Oh, and I love animals more than humans There I said it......

Old 07-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Some people don't want to live with animals.
And some people don't want to live with people who don't want to live with animals. I am one of them, and have no shortage of friends.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
listen to your gut about the Non-pet people..... my ex's mother never allowed the kids to have pets while they were growing up and as a result, none of them are pet-people..... which made it impossible for me to adopt new kitties when my last one died.......

FIRST thing I did when we separated and i moved into my own house was head down to the shelter and find my 2 kitties..... and 7 months later, back to the same shelter for my bailey-dog......

i want to add one more dog to the permanent family and am fostering charlie-boy right now...... but i think at 1 y/o, he is too much of a teenager for us.....

Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 PM

People without animals are not quite right. Makes ya wonder what they are doing in the pet section of a chat forum, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or