U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,670,254 times

Advertisements

Giesela makes an uncomfortable but very true point. it's terrible, but with the volume of feral/stray animals, especially cats that are out there, many shelters/pounds just don't have the space or resources to hold them for long. it's really sad, but it's not exactly the shelters' fault.

the only real solution is to somehow change people's behavior and attitudes towards their pets, whether that means education or penalties for letting animals breed or abandoning them (if it can even be proven). barring that, as strange as it might feel given that your grandmother is justifiably really upset with the shelter, working to raise money for the place so they can keep animals longer would be a good stopgap.

Last edited by groar; 07-26-2009 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 40,105 times
Well, I have a black female tuxedo cat I'd love to give away.
My neighbor has two young female cats she rescued and can't get rid of.

I'd love to give my 13 year old female tuxedo cat to some nice lady. This cat is SO mellow and smart...but my daughter can't take her after college.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 AM

7,970 posts, read 11,611,357 times
You can't get rid of your cat because there are already millions out there. Everyone who wants one has one and the shelters are filled to more than overflowing. You get an animal, be prepared to keep them.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,821,795 times
what state/city was this in? I know where I live that state and city law says one thing but some AC do another. I can help you look up the ordinance.

Let's face it, if they put them down within 24 hours I seriously doubt to check to see if they are microchiped. I know our Animal shelter doesn't check even though they have a thingy to do that. They do however give the ppl 10 days to claim them before they are adopted out.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,325,402 times
I would definitely check into the laws.
How would she know if they really did that?
Someone who works there could have very well taken the cat home with them.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,365,628 times
It's wrong and it's sad. And please understand that the following is not in defense of what was done.

The economy is in sad shape. People are abandoning their animals at record rates. Some shelters are literally bursting at the seams. And they have the budget problems of their own. This is all the more reason to assist local shelters with donations and volunteering.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,633,739 times
I have heard of such things happening all over the country. Of course, it only takes one person in each location to bring it to the attention of the media who will then smear the AC or shelter that did the deed. while it is not generally legal, I know it goes on and those who do it are assuming they are freeing up some space for more desire able animals that might have a better chance of being adopted - such as puppies or kittens. I would urge you to contact the newspaper and make this act public knowledge. Make those people think twice before playing Judge, jury and executioner.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM

7,970 posts, read 11,611,357 times
Yea, they can do a media smear campaign on animal control so they put down all the animals equally, the unadoptable and the adoptable - first in first killed. That's fair. WTH? I mean, why not make their job harder - its all their fault right?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 AM

25,665 posts, read 24,254,495 times
That is so sad, and I agree with you, every pet shelter Ive ever been to has had animals there for a week or more. There seems to be something wrong with this picture.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM

6,027 posts, read 13,090,357 times
I really wish that people would keep their pets indoors, and microchip them. Microchipping does not cost that much and really helps to identify pets and return them to their home should they accidentally get out. Collers are not reliable, and can actually be risky for cats. Microchipping helps shelters determine the poor strays and abandoned cats from the house kitties who have a good home somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets