U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,281,396 times

Advertisements

[quote=redbird4848;638872]Thank you to all the people for the pointers. I only worked on the back seat and only for about an hour. This could be an 8 hour job if done right.

My husband tells me this is why God made car detailers....I have 6 Rottweilers that blow their coat about every 8 minutes - if they ride in the car, we face the same dilemma you do! I don't have the patience for 8 hours, so Beloved Spouse found a detailer that is somewhat reasonable - we look at it as supporting the economy...

I hadn't heard about the Static Guard thing, but I am all over it today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM

32,409 posts, read 17,719,496 times
Default What...me worry?

Whats a fur baby to do....

Now, how can mean ol' daddy Redbird get mad at a face like that?...

Attachment 3416

Last edited by _redbird_; 11-11-2010 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 PM

169 posts, read 525,976 times
Default I like these...

Redbird, what an adorable dog!!
When I had my Black Lab, I used to take her swimming quite often which included a ride in the car. I used to keep some extra flat sheets in the car to put on the seat. I'd lift the headrest & tuck them underneath to help hold them on the seat. It was a little extra effort, but it did help. Then I'd just toss the sheets in the wash.
As for hair removal, I like those lint rollers made by 3M. I buy mine at Sam's Club; there are several in a package. These rollers are made with Scotch brand adhesives. It's similar to using tape only easier to handle. The sheets are perforated so you just tear them off when they're full of hair. There are other brand names too. You can find similar ones at Walmart or Bed, Bath & Beyond. I get them at Sam's since I use them regularly. The package lasts quite a while & the rolls seem to have more sheets on them. We have 3 cats now so I really need them
Our pets do make us more work but they're worth it aren't they

Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,085 times
come to professional auto detail place, make sure they experienced. no reason to do it yourself and experiment if there are profesionals who are doing it on regular basis. auto maxima Inc in slc is place I own and we have special tools to remove dogs hair in your car and special odor bombs to remove odor. even one for dogs pee.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,588,694 times
For day to day hair removal from those tough places I found this...

Amazon.com: Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum, Corded, 33A1: Kitchen & Dining

It rocks! It'll suck the hair off of anything. I use it on comforters, cleaning out the car, the dogs bed, etc. Pretty much anything fabric that the hair will typically cling to this thing will suck it off. Oh and it has a long cord which is great... I can plug it in and defur my entire comforter while it is laying on the bed (queen) in one go.

EDIT: Doh this was an old thread someone brought back from the dead... I should've caught that. It still is an awesome vacuum though.

Last edited by TomSD; 08-14-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 05:16 PM

31 posts, read 107,584 times
I recently bought a new Hoover vacuum that came with a Pet Hair cleaning attachment, the kind that has the rubber strips on it. I gotta say, I was extremely impressed how well it worked on the interior carpet of my truck. I take my dog with me when I go running, so the interior of my truck gets pretty bad sometimes. Conventional vacuuming doesn't do squat, but this attachment is awesome. As you drag it across the carpet, the rubber strips on the attachment bunches the hair up into a ball. Once it's in a ball, it's a cinch to pick up. I was able to get every hair I could see off the carpet. I think it works better than tape IMO.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,348,747 times
I have a Siberian Husky -- who sheds a heck of a lot of hair, let me tell you! -- and I've discovered that works best for us is a pair of Playtex yellow gloves -- the kind you'd wear while washing dishes -- and a vacuum. Just put the gloves on and rub your hands over the parts of the upholstery/carpet you're trying to de-hair. The rubber grabs the hair; then suck the hair up with the vac.

It's super easy and works really well. Just takes some time, depending on how much hair is there and how imbedded it is.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,975,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Okay, hard core dog enthusiasts. I need help here. After 3 years, my once spotless car, my pride and joy, Honda Accord, bought new, is now a filthy, smelly dog taxi, covered in dog hair. (all together now: "Eeeewwwww")

The first few months, I won a few battles, but the war has been OFFICIALLY won; claimed by my best friends Myla Rose, Maggie Lou, and MolLeigh Diane. Rides in the summer are non-existent except an emergency ride to the vet.

I am unable to remove the dog hair in my car. I have vacuumed, used some kind of pet dog hair remover (Arm & Hammer) for carpets, and bought a "guaranteed" rubber broom from a dog show vendor, but nothing works.

Any takers?

You mean cars aren't supposed to be covered in dog hair?? Are you sure??

Ours is totally covered from the transports and weekly adoption events. I'd bought a ton of packing tape and started lining the back slowly with it and ripping it off, kind of leg waxing style. Worked, but not well. Then hubby got a whisk broom and was able to sweep it up. Takes a while but it worked.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,766,093 times
i have a metal curry comb and a zoom groom that i use to on bailey and dave.... both work great on upholstery and/or carpeting .... and in fact, the reverse side of the zoom groom is designed for defurring upholstery.....

both can be found in the grooming section of your petsmart or petco.....

Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM

5,677 posts, read 6,504,323 times
Great thread! I never heard about Static Guard but I will use it the next time I clean the van (we have 3 dogs, two of which are GSDs and each requires their own seat). What I have done, besides vacuuming, is once a year I Rug Doctor the whole thing. Thoroughly. I don't use the upholstery cleaner liquid but the "heavy traffic" cleaner coupled with the odor remover cleaner. The vacuum suction on the Rug Doctor gets hair out of places where I wouldn't normally notice hair.

(We just had a formal wedding to go to, and my dress was a little black dress and not a single dog hair showed up on my clothing ).

After the Rug Doctoring I replace the blankets and such I have normally over the seats to keep the dog hair to a minimum - the blankets are easy to wash. I buy them cheap at a self-help shop so that it isn't a big expense to replace them when needed.

But about dog hair not being attracted to micro fibers - our couch is micro fiber and hair is certainly attracted to it, and it seems harder to get off the microfiber than regular upholstery. I am afraid to get leather couches due to my cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or