U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,710,848 times

Advertisements

I volunteer for a dog rescue organization who places animals in foster homes until they are adopted. So people who surrender their animals to us just astound me and some of the animals we find are in just horrible places....like in a ditch on an expressway or a frozen overpass. They come to us in such heartbreaking conditions I just begin to hate people. People just leave these dogs for dead and then you find someone who is just sooooo overjoyed to have them and the connection is wonderful to see. One thing our rescue does is screen people, contact their vet and an application and do home visits to ensure the pet will receive lifelong love and care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:16 AM

7,488 posts, read 6,458,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I do not know how those of you that work in shelters can retain your composure and be nice to such people as I wanted to smack some sense into that man! I felt so angry when I walked out of there as animals are not something you just throw away when you feel like it.. ERRRRRRRRR!
My friend in Tucson volunteered for a nearby shelter for some time, usually in the back with the animals, but a few times at the desk. The last time she worked the desk, a woman brought in a pet because she'd redecorated, and the animal no longer matched the sofa.

Just keep in mind how empty and joyless these people's lives are, never knowing the love and true companionship of a pet. Never having given of themselves, they've never truly received. These are the people whose children will abandon THEM in convalescence homes when they are infirm.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM

6,238 posts, read 15,421,763 times
Since when are pets an accessory to match your furniture?! That is so bizarre, and at the same time, so inhumane that I am saddened. I could no more give up my cats than I could give up my children! If I were involved with someone like this and saw them do that, they'd be kicked to the curb immediately. After all, if I got sick and needed to be taken care of, that's probably the last person who would help me, right?

Old 08-29-2009, 05:00 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,577,887 times
Pets are disposable.

And NO ONE wants to hear about.

People get offended if you suggest them neuter/spay, or disapprove of puppy mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or