Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times

Advertisements

If I were the friend or the friend's mother and found out you didn't tell us about the snake, that would be the LAST time your DD's friend ever came to your house. It might sour the friendhsip itself. Honesty is always the best policy.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:34 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,330 times
Oh geez I hope you find it. And YES tell the kid and her mom. I am scared to death of snakes and I think it would be rude not to tell her.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:36 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Your daughter's friend needs to be told about the snake situation so please do the right thing. Check under the covers before you climb in the bed. I don't think I'd be able to sleep any if a snake was loose in my house that's why when my son was younger and brought home one it wasn't here for very long. Hope you find it sooner then later. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
okay listen very carefully look behind your refrigerator first near the coils . if not there look near your tv anywhere it is generating heat . I m sorry about ur snake hopefully it will show up but more than likely if you cant find it , You had better look for any places it could escape .

Old 09-20-2009, 11:16 AM

139 posts, read 314,914 times
Check any sources of heat (like people said, fridge coils)...also, they like small, dark places where they can curl up. My ball python escaped and I found her UNDER my dresser (there's a tiny little gap she somehow snuck under...kinda, her tail was sticking out...so much for her being sneaky).

If all else fails, give her a food source (i.e., mouse) and see if she comes looking for it. Snakes can go weeks (even months) without food so she might be out for awhile.

If you still can't find her, set up a heat lamp somewhere so she has somewhere to go to generate heat.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,570 times
snake away doesnt kill does it? u could scatter that to get it 2 move maybe

Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times
As a snake keeper I will tell you that the friends can still visit if they wish. Inform them that the snake is harmless. The snake will be most likely seeking out heat. Put a sprinkle of flour dust in the doorways, it will show if the snake is traveling between rooms. Many times when scared they will hole up for a while, then start to move when they get hungry. If they are in the area, sometimes a frozen /thaw mouse on a low heat pad will draw them out. They can hide in extremely small spots so look in every nook and cranny. My rat snake was gone for 2 weeks till she started scouting around for food. She was found only one room away. If you have dogs or cats watch them for peculiar behavior. They can hear and smell so much more than us. Good luck finding your daughters pet.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
I was waking my son up for school this morning and happened to look in the snake cage in his room. I noticed that the big book that we put on top to keep him from getting out wasn't there - - - - and neither was the snake!! We only had a few minutes to look for him, and naturally didn't find him...............

I can't believe this!! Have any of you snake owners ever had one escape? Did you ever find it? How long was it gone?

Just for information, he is not a deadly snake or anything. He is a 3' ball python. My daughter has a friend coming to spend the night. She wants me to not tell the friend, so she will still come over (she is scared of snakes). I am not feeling okay about that. But, who knows, with what I am hearing, I may not find him for days, weeks, or even months!! So am I supposed to warn every visitor that we may have a snake in the house??? No one will ever come visit us!!!

Sorry about the rant - I am just a little bit freaked out.. Again, if anyone has any helpful information for me, I would greatly appreciate it!
Hilarious! If your daughter's friend is scared of snakes then you should of course put off the sleepover but it would also be a good time to educate the little friend who's scared of snakes. Kids are scared of certain animals because their parents have passed that onto them or they've seen a movie with a nasty depiction of some sort of animal species and, sometimes, once you have the chance to talk to them about their fears and introduce them to that feared animal, the fear can be easily dissipated. It's all about fear of the unknown.

A bunch of local kids wait to catch the school bus in the parking lot of my business/home and one of the little dogs owned by someone up the street obviously lets out the silly mutt early in the morning to run free for a while. I'm in such disagreement with such lazy idiocy (and, yes, we actually do have leash laws here but unless you're talking nasty pitbull or loopy inbred Rottie it's rarely enforced) but my point is that the kids are freaked out and scared by this stupid little mutt and I'm just waiting for one of them to actually try and hurt him and I'll be out the door in my PJs in a heartbeat.

The little dog just runs around wagging his tail and sniffing the ground while the little kids are obviously scared stiff he's going to do something very BAD and scramble to move themselves away from him. The silly dog is a pretty mindless little island mutt who's a Heinz 57 variety. Stocky little white body, very short legs, a sort of a Taco Bell emblem mixed with dachshund mixed with some sort of a Welsh terrier. So utterly benign and yet these kids are scared of him. How sad is that?

Apologies for rambling on. I hope you find the snake soon but I also hope that you and your family will maybe see this as an opportunity to introduce your children's friends to species with which they're not comfortable. Cheers!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,109 times
Hey everyone! Just an update - - The snake is still on the loose! The friend did spend the night and was fine with it. I gave her the choice, but talked to her and told her that it was harmless to people and that most likely it was hiding somewhere because it was scared of us. She actually helped my daughter and I try to find it!

My initial response to the snake being out was to be a little freaked out, but now I am okay with it. I hope we find him soon for his own good though. We have turned the house upside down, and no sign of him. I am going to try the heat idea and see if that works, then if not maybe a mouse.

Thank you everyone for your responses and ideas!!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,303 times
My grown son has numerous 'pet' snakes....and periodically one has been known to be 'on the loose'. The last snake to escape spent THREE months on the loose - he was convinced it was gone - only to notice that his dog would no longer go downstairs in the morning before he got up....and when she she did - she seemed 'spooked' in the kitchen.....come to find out - missing snake was hanging around her water bowl in the night.....and sleeping under the frig during the day. Snake was caught and is now happily sleeping in his 'hot house' once again.

Good luck.......if you have dogs/cats - I'd also be watching around their water bowls/feeding area.....escapee snakes seem quite adept at 'making do'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets