U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,936,118 times

Advertisements

The idea of a snake loose in the house really creeps me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM

556 posts, read 1,828,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The idea of a snake loose in the house really creeps me out.
Me too Fat Freddy - but my creep factor is because I don't 'choose' to house snakes as pets.....my son and daughter-in-law thought nothing of this - except to be worried their 'pet' was loose without proper food/heat........

It truly takes all kinds

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
To the OP: glad your DD's friend was OK with it and that they had a good time. Now, hope you find the snake!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,522,710 times
What size will this Python eventually attain; many large Pythons have been released by pet owners here and now they are taking over the Everglades.

A wild Python killed one person here and one (8 FOOT) house pet, killed a little girl here 3 months ago when it escaped. I pray you find your snake and that it has attained it's maximum size already.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,399,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
What size will this Python eventually attain; many large Pythons have been released by pet owners here and now they are taking over the Everglades.

A wild Python killed one person here and one (8 FOOT) house pet, killed a little girl here 3 months ago when it escaped. I pray you find your snake and that it has attained it's maximum size already.
Ball pythons get their name since they 'ball up' if spooked; trust me, they are more scared of us humans than the other way around

Ball Pythons, a Troubleshooting Guide to

Balls may hit 4 feet tops in length.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,339,678 times
UPDATE!!!

We found the missing snake on Saturday!! My son was getting a shirt out of his dresser drawer and says "Mom, I found the snake!". Well he likes to play tricks alot, so I didn't really believe him until I went and looked, and sure enough, there he was curled up in the dresser drawer! I had looked there several times in the past week, but he wasn't there then.

We got him back in his cage and I think he spent a half hour drinking! He probably didn't have any water for over a week!

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM

2,520 posts, read 5,343,262 times
Glad you found him. Ours was also very thirsty when we found him, hungry too.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,509,323 times
I had a Eastern Milksnake get out early this summer and haven't had a sighting of him since, long gone I presume . Good thing about Ball Pythons is they never travel far!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Glad you found the snake, OP! They LOVE to hide in/behind dressers, it seems... I belong to a Ball Python forum, and the member's lost snakes almost always turn up in dressers, bookshelves, and empty boxes. One of mine escaped twice before I went to a rack/tub system, and the first time we found her squeezed behind the dresser (wrapped in some wires). The second time she managed to get on top of a 6-7' bookshelf, and was looking down on us like "Suckers! Thought I couldn't climb, huh?"

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-11-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

Already been said, but I'll say it again... although next time it wouldn't hurt to use Google, and just look up "Ball Python" if you're curious.

A Ball Python usually reaches a length of 4-6 feet, and are considered to be of medium girth. Nothing like the giant pythons you hear about on the news, which are often Burms & Retics that can grow to over 20ft. Even those are usually docile, gentle creatures, and human deaths are extremely rare - and usually the fault of their keeper for underfeeding, improper handling techniques, and/or unsecured habitats. But you know the media, always trying to make a sensation out of isolated incidents. How many children have been hurt or killed by dogs this year? I have a dog myself, and would trust my biggest snake before my dog with a strange child.

P.S. That python who killed the child in Florida wasn't "wild," it was a domesticated (and probably captive-bred) Burmese Python. And it was actually 12ft long, which is on the smaller side for a Burm. Based on what know about snake behavior & feeding, this snake was probably trying to grip the child for security, as mine do to me quite often, or it was severely underfed. Either way, any responsible keeper would have a snake that size in locked housing, and of course wouldn't give it a chance to be alone with a toddler. Just like with Pit Bulls, the owners are to blame - not the animals.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-11-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets