Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,358,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And I know, it says for your pets only, but do you think people as low as they are will be honest?? They'll just have more reasons to breed.
Much like some people keep having kids. Too bad there isn't a limit on the amount of tax deductions for the number of children people reproduce.

I think this pet tax deduction would be a good thing if it were based on proof of neutering or spaying the pet. A tax break would certainly help people who lose their jobs and find they are having a difficult time keeping their pets. The animal shelters are overflowing with abandoned and surrendered animals for whom people could no longer afford to care.

I am in favor of this type of bill provided it was written a bit more carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 07:31 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,449,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
That bill concept is absolutely ridiculous.
and...when did you stop beating your wife? I'll bite. Why is the concept absolutely ridiculous?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:24 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,786,578 times
Spay/neuter certs and proof of current license (for dogs, anyway) should be required when filing taxes.

I could sure use the deduction. In the meantime, I have an unadoptable permanent foster dog... I deduct EVERY PENNY I spend, and every mile I drive for him. I should start adding up this year's expenses for him and see what he's costed me so far.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,382,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Spay/neuter certs and proof of current license (for dogs, anyway) should be required when filing taxes.

I could sure use the deduction. In the meantime, I have an unadoptable permanent foster dog... I deduct EVERY PENNY I spend, and every mile I drive for him. I should start adding up this year's expenses for him and see what he's costed me so far.
I wish I could deduct! I've got several forever fosters that I'm sure will never be adopted. I don't get to adopt a single penny. For a small rescue, it would never be worth it.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I wish I could deduct! I've got several forever fosters that I'm sure will never be adopted. I don't get to adopt a single penny. For a small rescue, it would never be worth it.
Well, I only get to do it because the rescue I foster for is a 501(c)3. I itemize deductions instead of short form, therefore I take advantage of EVERY LITTLE PENNY I can. I have no kids, so I gotta do what I gotta do. Only other deduction is my mortgage, which isn't a large one. And as little money as I make, it's not enough and having the foster dog helps.

I even deduct the mileage I drive between the 2 buildings I work at for my employer, even though they're only 1.5 mile apart, and I only make the drive once a week.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,526,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
and...when did you stop beating your wife? I'll bite. Why is the concept absolutely ridiculous?
Because where do you end with all these deductions?

For one thing, anything with tax deductions is not going to help poor folks because they don't itemize so it is another tax break for people with a bit more money.

For another thing then why can't I take a tax break for a wii fit, or for a treadmill, or for running shoes? How about shrubbery and xeniscaping?. How about the time I spend volunteering? How about growing my own vegetables?........... I pay taxes on my groceries - why?

Pets give us pleasure, why do we need a tax break to have them? The idea that it will keep pets out of shelters is silly as the break won't help those on the edge.

Actually my own "pets" are working Search and Rescue dogs and the only "tax break" I get is for the mileage I drive to and from searches and training - nothing for the dogs or the $3-4K a year I spend being a volunteer or for the personal gear I have to own other than a uniform. Per team member who is a CPA that is the limit -- and I don't resent it ---- but, community volunteer tax deductions are severely limited in other arenas as well ...

So - taking a deduction for owning animals just seems a bit over the top --- I think we sh ould be PAYING license fees for animals to cover the cost of spay neuter clinics, pet owner education etc, not get a break for them.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
For another thing then why can't I take a tax break for a wii fit, or for a treadmill, or for running shoes? How about shrubbery and xeniscaping?. How about the time I spend volunteering? How about growing my own vegetables?........... I pay taxes on my groceries - why?
Apples and oranges. You are talking things which don't necessarily require constant care and will not cost governments (state or city animal shelters) money for upkeep. Animals require routine medical care, food, water etc. When the expenses become high, such as the maintenance of a sick pet, it can cost hundreds of dollars.
As far as itemization goes, people can, without itemization, deduct the care of certain types of handicapped family members and children from their taxes. Deductions for pet care can be included with those.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:59 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,526,384 times
Not so sure about your statement that people can, without itemization, deduct the care of certain types of handicapped family members and children from their taxes.........other than taking an extra exemption for blindness or being born before 1944.

I cannot deduct a cent for the care I provide my mother who is in a wheelchair because she cannot be considered a dependant due to the 50% rule. She cannot take any additional exemptions either, despite the fact that she is in a wheelchair and paralyzed on one side and cannot communicate verbally --- she can only itemize like everyone else and anything about 7.5% of her income that is medical [and that has very strict guidelines on what can and cannot be deducted !] - we really can't even claim blindness even though a massive stroke has effectively rendered her blind on one side.

The items I can deduct for my own care are also very limited into very specfiic buckets.

If the care of a sick animal costs $100s of dollars the owner *can* make a choice to terminate based on prognosis and quality of life. Most pets have a relatively short lifespan and, in my mind, are without sin and have nothing to "get straight" with their creator [note, realize this is my opinion]

------------

I guess the premise of this bill is that the pet is considered equivalent to a human family member. I am a good dog owner but my dogs are not my children and a lot of people would agree. So it is a fundamental mindset on this topic.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
.other than taking an extra exemption for blindness or being born before 1944
That is what I was referring to.

Quote:
I guess the premise of this bill is that the pet is considered equivalent to a human family member. I am a good dog owner but my dogs are not my children and a lot of people would agree. So it is a fundamental mindset on this topic.
Fundamental mindset? I would disagree with that one. I don't see anyone stating that here. If people are willing to take care of unwanted pets and give them good homes, I see nothing wrong with that being eligible for a tax deduction.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That is what I was referring to.

Fundamental mindset? I would disagree with that one. I don't see anyone stating that here. If people are willing to take care of unwanted pets and give them good homes, I see nothing wrong with that being eligible for a tax deduction.
I believe THIS ^ is the premise of the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets