Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times

Advertisements

Depends on the pet but almost all need some level of consistent interaction. If you are out of the house 10 hours a day, most days, I agree that you are probably too busy. Just taking care of basic needs (food, water, cleanliness, etc.) takes a chunk of time.
My cat is fine without attention for a day or two if I go away. But she does like her cuddle time with me, even if it's just sitting next to me on the couch while I watch TV or do homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 11:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't own a pet. Most days I'm gone about ten hours a day, and get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. I don't think I have enough time to give a pet.

Yet my room mate acts like the only thing her pet needs is food. She'll happy be gone the whole day--and though it's not "my" pet, I'm the one who will give it attention.

Okay, so it's a rant, but I want to know if others agree with me. Do pets need people to pay attention to them? And do responsible pet owners ignore their pets and not spend time with them?
It depends on what kind of pet it is. If you have a parrot, or a dog, then they need a good deal of attention or they will have issues. If you have a cat or a fish or a hamster...not so much.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
before the dogs came into our lives, my kitties would greet me at the door in the evening and INSIST upon a 10 minute or so "festival of love" ...... now that there are dogs pushing them out of the way, the festival just occurs later in the evening......

Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
The cat's getting desperate--I left my door open yesterday, and it came in and jumped up on the bed while I was on the computer and nudged me so I'd stop typing and pay it attention. Poor thing is starved for affection.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 10,228 times
Depends how a pet has been raised. If its been taught to be high maintenance it will require alot. Some people just leave their pets outside and feed and thats it. Therefore low maintenance. So adopt one that has been trained to be low maintenance. But DONT get a puppy/baby pet because they require a lot!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,732 times
Quote:
I don't own a pet. Most days I'm gone about ten hours a day, and get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. I don't think I have enough time to give a pet.

Yet my room mate acts like the only thing her pet needs is food. She'll happy be gone the whole day--and though it's not "my" pet, I'm the one who will give it attention.

Okay, so it's a rant, but I want to know if others agree with me. Do pets need people to pay attention to them? And do responsible pet owners ignore their pets and not spend time with them?

Pets definitely need people to pay attention to them just like we need people in our life. Responsible pet owners who truly love their pets will not ignore them and if that is the case then give them to someone who can take care of them and spend time with them

I have two dogs myself and would of never gotten them if I didn't have the time or patience to take care of them and play with them, walk them outside and buy them treats and cook for them..... I love them like my babies and I would never want them to feel neglected, sad or mistreated and if I wasn't around for them that's how they would feel without love or attention

Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:

TK, most pets have been bred to be companion animals. Apparently you have better pet owner instincts than your room mate.

I feel sympathy for animals who are simply "trophies" to their owners...

Kate

Old 11-08-2009, 12:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I think any pet that lives outside a container needs to have attention or you will get problematic behavior from that pet. (chewing,ripping, P & P in random places etc)

I had a roomate like your that had a cat they treated like that. I ended up with the cat and it acted more like my pet which ticked them off...But uhh...yeh...thats how it goes.

You better watch out or you may get a cat by these means!

Not that it would be a bad thing but box scooping is never a party.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:46 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
The very definition of a pet is an animal that relies on humans for survival!

Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Sounds like the cat needs more attention. Maybe your roommate should have looked into fish or a turtle or hermit crabs or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets