U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,418,726 times

Advertisements

I don't own a pet. Most days I'm gone about ten hours a day, and get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. I don't think I have enough time to give a pet.

Yet my room mate acts like the only thing her pet needs is food. She'll happy be gone the whole day--and though it's not "my" pet, I'm the one who will give it attention.

Okay, so it's a rant, but I want to know if others agree with me. Do pets need people to pay attention to them? And do responsible pet owners ignore their pets and not spend time with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,079,330 times
Depends on the type of pet. What does your roomie have?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:16 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,376,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Okay, so it's a rant, but I want to know if others agree with me. Do pets need people to pay attention to them? And do responsible pet owners ignore their pets and not spend time with them?
A dog is probably going to need more attention from a person than a cat will. Cats are more self-sufficient, and they have different social needs. But all animals are individuals. What might be true for one dog (or cat) might not be true for another. One animal might be perfectly content with a minimal amount of hands-on attention, while another might be more needy.

However, yes...I think it's irresponsible of any pet owner to ignore their animal and not spend any time with them. What's the point of owning a pet if you're not going to share your life with that animal? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 PM

5,178 posts, read 8,705,154 times
Smile Pets and people

I have had dogs all my life, love them. My husband never had a pet. After we were married and we were petless, we were given a puppy as a present after a tragic event. That dog was the best. He lived to be 14 so I know he was happy.

My husband became so attached to this dog and he protected our children so much. They had so much fun with him.

We have since had 3 more and would always have 2 at a time. I sense loneliness when we are not there but they are the best.

Pets can do wonder for depression and you can learn so much from a pet. (Notice I am not just talking about dogs). They can be true companions.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,848,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't own a pet. Most days I'm gone about ten hours a day, and get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. I don't think I have enough time to give a pet.

Yet my room mate acts like the only thing her pet needs is food. She'll happy be gone the whole day--and though it's not "my" pet, I'm the one who will give it attention.

As far as dogs go...yes they need daily attention. The smaller breeds are a little more clingy than the mid/large size generally. Mine adore taking walks, and if they don't get one...they let me know they are bored. I agree you shouldn't get a pet until you feel ready for the responsibility. They are like children to a certain extent and the expense adds up.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,418,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Depends on the type of pet. What does your roomie have?

She has a cat, but he still enjoys attention from time to time. Likes to be petted, likes to play with his mouse or be chased.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,908,700 times
My cats would be miserable without social interaction from a human. And nn days that I am out of the house for more than a few hours, they let me know it! And they have each other!
If your absent from the house that long and want something cute and fuzzy, go for a hamster, rat or gerbil. Fish are pretty easy and can be entertaining.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 AM

19,828 posts, read 56,079,330 times
My cats follow me around like dogs (and the dogs are just sleeping in the living room). They want to sit where they can see me, or sleep in "my spot" on the bed. They all cuddle next to me at night. This is not something I've taught them, they just do it.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,908,700 times
Quote:
My cats follow me around like dogs (and the dogs are just sleeping in the living room). They want to sit where they can see me, or sleep in "my spot" on the bed. They all cuddle next to me at night. This is not something I've taught them, they just do it.
It's called unconditional love!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,186,735 times
Quote:
Sounds like my puppy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or