U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,212,332 times

Advertisements

For anyone that might be interested I just started a blog on the plight of dolphins and whales

Dolphins and Whales SOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM

840 posts, read 2,107,239 times
I'm no expert on the subject, but from my own observations, it would appear that some dogs do. Cats, no... Frankly I don't think they're bright enough.

In fact, if you want to have some fun with a cat, take a large shatter proof mirror (you don't want to hurt the cat), place it flat on the floor, then, take a cat and hold it about three feet above the mirror. Hold it in this position for a few seconds until it looks down and sees it's self. Release the cat. The cat will perceive another cat moving rapidly toward it with claws extended and move through the air in a way that could only be described as being governed by cartoon physics.... Funny stuff!

Last edited by GreenScoutII; 07-17-2010 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-18-2010, 06:25 AM

When dolphins go face to face it is considered to be a very agressive act, in studies done dolphins tend to behave much like we do in front of mirrors.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:09 PM

YouTube - Rick Laine feat. M.G. Grace: Cruel Heart

Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,167,464 times
I have an extremely old shih-tzu who will go into the bedroom, walk up to the full lengh mirror and sit down in front of it and just stare. She does this every few weeks. She sits for a few minutes, looking at herself and then stands and walks away. Sometimes I wonder if she is checking for signs of aging lol, she's pushing 19!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,864,773 times
I truly don't know the answer to this, but our family dogs, sure do like looking at themselves in the frig, mirrors, windows, if they don't have self recognition, then they must think they are the opposite sex! lol

Old 02-10-2011, 03:26 PM

869 posts, read 935,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I believe the research out there shows they do not have self recognition.
As I understand it (I'm far from being versed on it) very few animals can, dogs / cats not being among them. One that I remember that surprised me was Crows. I think outside of some chimp/apes they where one of only a few animals that have self recognition. Dolphins too maybe? Can't remember the name of the special I saw for more refrences

Old 02-10-2011, 03:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,736,220 times
i know they recognize eachother which makes me think they have some level of self awareness too.

for example chihuahuas are very "clannish" they prefer the company of their own breed, and when i worked at the dog day care the chihuahuas would automatically group together every time without fail, they would socilize with other dogs obviously, but they definatly prefered to be in their own little group of just chihuahuas...
in order to behave that way, to create and join a group of only dogs of their breed makes me feel they must recognize themselves as a meber of that breed...aka, a form of self awareness...

they also recognize other individual dogs too, and not nessicarily by scent...
my female chinese crested had 2 best frineds at doggy daycare, a maltese and a cocker poodle mix...we had 6 other maltese that all looked exactly alike, we used their collars to tell them apart, and that particular morning she was sulking because while there were lots of maltese to play with, her budy wasnt there, then in they walked, and she regonived him from behind glass imediatly...

ive seen herd animals pick favorites ect...

and i do feel again, in order to recognize others, one must also recognize onesefl on some level...

mabe not the same kind of self recognition as humans or apes have, but theres more there than many humans give them credit for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or