U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,398,158 times

Advertisements

I wish the OP would post again in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:17 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,464,630 times
"called the cat a "traitor.""
I hate when people says things like this. Animals do not think like humans. She comes to you because you care for her. My dad went through the same thing with his neighbors cat for many years. If it was me, I would take the cat. I know you have 2 cats and a dog, but can you put her in a separate bedroom and see if they will get along after being introduced? Legal or not to take the cat, if they don't take care of it and you don't want to take it with you, at least take her to a no-kill shelter and hopefully she will get a loving home. To leave her there might be the death of her. You are an angel for taking care of her!!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,849,886 times
It takes "weeks" for cats to potentially acclimate to each other. It's recommended that the new cat is kept in a closed room while being able to hear & sniff via the closed door (sniffing under door). Also recommended: using cat beds (or whatever is similar like a blanket) & switching them among the cats. I was told this by a no kill rescue place called "Sara's Treasures" in Eugene, OR.

I have yet to try it, though. My cat hates my boyfriend's cats: she's very dominant. She has claws... his cats don't.

OP: good luck & don't worry. The person with a big heart is supposed to be the winner. *smiles*

Warmly, Kate

Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,445,360 times
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I'm in grad school and I waited until the last minute to do some work so I had to ban myself from here.

Thanks for all the feedback. I know in my heart that she is mine. I just worry that they are the kind of people who will come back on me. I've actually thought about telling them that I ran her over or something - as morbid as that sounds, it's totally plausible because when she sees me pull in the driveway, she runs right in front of my car.

She will not stay inside. Like I mentioned, I have pet sat for them in the past and seen what she did to their door frame. lol. Not only would she do damage, I think she would be ultimately unhappy. Also, I have 2 cats inside already. I do not want to bring an outside cat into the house for many reasons:

1. One of my cats is diabetic and very prone to stressors. She gets really sick with any change. Introducing a new cat - not going to happen.

2. My other cat is very dominant. She will not put up with another cat. Just seeing a cat outside makes her crazy - growling, puffing up, and hissing.

3. The new cat has always been outside apparently. She has been in numerous fights. She is more than likely FIV or FeLV positive. I will not expose my inside cats to that.

I have no qualms with taking her with me. I can keep her in the laundry room and garage for a while until she adjusts when I move. It's a while from now, but I'm just trying to think ahead. I wanted to see what others thought.

I have 2 friends willing to take her because she is such a doll, but for some reason she is bonded to me. If worse comes to worse, I will see if she can stay with them until I get things worked out.

Thanks for the encouragement. Now I don't feel like a kitty-stealer.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,661,052 times
I was a dog stealer years ago. They staved the pup, had her on a 5 ft chain, used the tree she was tied to for target practice, when I took her she ate everything including sticks, match book cars, when she arrive she poop hay and grain. No problem being a stealer then. Had her for years.

They gave you the bowl she is yours. AGain how are they gonna know where you went. Where she went. They don't care. Even if they did I doubt any legal system would even take a case. I will admit it I travel allot now and my cats don't get the attention I am used to giving. I always find someone to take care of them but if someone decided to steal one of my cats to give it a better home then me being gone I wouldn't question it. I would like to know but again I feel guilty not giving my kitties the regular attention.

If they don't fix her when she is hurt they don't care. Go for it!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,922,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post

She will not stay inside.

3. The new cat has always been outside apparently. She has been in numerous fights. She is more than likely FIV or FeLV positive. I will not expose my inside cats to that.

I have no qualms with taking her with me. I can keep her in the laundry room and garage for a while until she adjusts when I move. It's a while from now, but I'm just trying to think ahead. I wanted to see what others thought.
Ok, so you will not expose your own cats to a cat that is potentially FIV or FeLV positive, but you are perfectly willing to move the cat and expose every other cat that ventures outside in your new area?

It's simply irresponsible.

FIV is primarily transmitted through deep puncture wounds that occur when cats fight. You state she's been in numerous fights. And while there are differences of opinion on here as to whether or not one can keep a recently diagnosed cat in a multi-cat household where peace reigns, I cannot foresee ANY difference of opinion as to letting this cat expose countless other cats to the virus.

FeLV... given the ease with which it is transmitted, should this cat be positive you may have save ONE life, but threatened countless others in the process.

Regardless of all else - the rights and wrongs of the situation, the legality or not of actions and their consequences - I contend that to move an outdoor cat whose FIV and FeLV status is unknown and let that cat wander at will is just plain wrong.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:09 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,849,886 times
People who let their cats out *usually* know the odds out there of exposure rates. It's a gamble to NOT vaccinate one's cat. I don't think mine is (Mama Cat's an inherited/adopted girl who has had her rabies shot etc a long time ago but not sure about anything else) vaccinated against viruses.

Our cat's daughter, Ruthie, recently passed away from a tumor in her sad little ear. Before she died I took her to the vet to have blood work done. Of course the feline virus things had to be ruled out & she was clear- but she was anemic from bleeding. The fact Ruthie was clear - that was a good sign her mother cat is okay too.

Before all that went down, I had no idea about the feline viruses etc. other than suddenly reading up on it as our cat was dying. I guess I'm your average, cheap (I don't have a job not for lack of trying), ignorant cat owning citizen. I'm cheap but it still took over $300 to try to save Ruthie with surgery just to put her down in the end. I was willing to make payments if it would have saved her. It was a very sad day when I took her to her final resting place.

I thought she had some kind of herpes infection. The vet didin't give her condition a "name" but it wasn't something preventable unless it was somehow caused by herbicides (blackberry herbicides are used big time all over OR - our prop maint. guy uses it on our area - can't stop him).

I wouldn't bash the OP over feline viruses. There are millions of abandoned cats out there who need to be loved - it's in their genetics to be companions. They're born to love & be loved, nothing much else, other than play & entertain. Cats who get in fights usually do so cuz they're out at night *IMO* & indoor cats are usually called in for that very reason...

**Love & let love**

Old 11-13-2009, 05:08 PM

11,682 posts, read 14,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Ok, so you will not expose your own cats to a cat that is potentially FIV or FeLV positive, but you are perfectly willing to move the cat and expose every other cat that ventures outside in your new area?

It's simply irresponsible.

FIV is primarily transmitted through deep puncture wounds that occur when cats fight. You state she's been in numerous fights. And while there are differences of opinion on here as to whether or not one can keep a recently diagnosed cat in a multi-cat household where peace reigns, I cannot foresee ANY difference of opinion as to letting this cat expose countless other cats to the virus.

FeLV... given the ease with which it is transmitted, should this cat be positive you may have save ONE life, but threatened countless others in the process.

Regardless of all else - the rights and wrongs of the situation, the legality or not of actions and their consequences - I contend that to move an outdoor cat whose FIV and FeLV status is unknown and let that cat wander at will is just plain wrong.
Yeah, and in your perfect world I wouldn't have to feed my neighbor's cat to keep it from going without.

I was a vet tech for many years and attended vet school for a while. I really don't need you to explain any of that to me. This is the world we live in - people do not take care of their animals and it is left to people like me (and others here) to do what we can within our means. I cannot save every animal I come across and I cannot ensure that this kitty is positive or negative (since you are so smart I'm sure you know that the tests are not 100% accurate).

I'm not going to debate with you because the situation is what it is. If you or your neighbors or anyone else is worried about your cats getting sick - guess what - you can keep them inside.

Thanks to the rest of you for the nice replies. I'm done here!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Hiya, I'm a professional pet sitter and I'll just give you my thoughts since I've heard of situations like these arising.

I would be really careful where you tread here. You sound like you have a good heart and are trying to do the right thing by this cat, and legally, the cat belongs to your neighbor. Just as you can't kidnap a child just because you think they are being mistreated, likewise you can't take a person's pet. If you suspect the cat is being abused, then there are proper channels to go through, and legally you must use those. You can call your local humane society or SPCA, report the abuse, and they will take the case from there. Not trying to be a downer, it's just that people can and do go to jail over this kind of thing so you have to be careful with how you handle it.
It may not hurt to have a friendly chat with your neighbor first, at the very least to ask about the cat's food bowl. Maybe they left it for a different reason.
Good luck - I hope things work out for you and this cat! And if you don't get the cat, maybe after you move and get settled it wouldn't hurt to take a trip to your local shelter and offer to adopt or foster a cat. There are lots of cats who need someone with a good heart like yours!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 15,312,506 times
In my mind there is no question here. The cat would go with me. I'd get her out of harm's way (meaning the crummy neighbors) by letting your friends keep her in the interim.

She obviously loves you. Love her back and keep her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or