U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,665,315 times

Advertisements

We have 4 cats and 3 dogs in the house right now. They are on my last nerve. They know their names. They just refuse to listen. I get so annoyed at them sometimes. I call the min pin's name, after the third time I call her name, she looks at me, then she goes back to doing whatever it is she's doing. The kittens run out every time I open the door. They're almost impossible to track down once they are outside. They're not deaf. They just don't respect me at all. It's like they're not very bright.

I couldn't handle a kid. Kids are 10 times more demanding than pets. I don't think I would be cut out to be a parent. At least you can tie the dogs to a tree outside. You can't do that with a kid. I respect my parents for doing what they did. They did a fantastic job raising me. I don't think I'm cut out for it.

I can barely keep up with all the other living things in this house.

Anybody else on their last nerve with their misbehaved pets? What can I do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,060,783 times
They don't think of you as boss! Maybe your parents are the ones they obey? Maybe no one is boss? The dogs need some training.

I highly recommend the book "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell. Your library should be able to gt it for you; I bought a used copy off Amazon. I've owned dogs for 40+ yrs and I learned something new in the first few chapters! If you understand dog psychology, you can control them better.

Also, Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) is a great principle. They have to sit for food, sit for a treat, sit to start play, etc. Or something, but sit is good. Turn your back to them, walk away, etc. Search the Dog forum for the words nothing, life, free and you will see a lot of discussion, better than mine, about how to do this. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,033,430 times
I agree. They are fine, you need to learn!

I get frustrated with mine on a regular basis. They're usually outsmarting me at the time!! One found an area of fence she could push away from the bottom rail and sneak out. She promptly taught the others this wonderful trick. Poor hubby had to chase down 2 pit mixes, one pit, one mini doxie and a chi mix in a cattle pasture. And I was at work and couldn't help. And he's disabled. Was I irritated? Yep. But also mad at me for not being more vigilant on doing weekly fence line checks. *shrug* It's part of having pets.

And you're right - having kids is way worse!!! I've got 5. If I'd known then what I know now.......... I'll take dogs and cats and bird and tortoises any day over children.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM

1,864 posts, read 4,180,990 times
How did you end up with so many pets?

I have found when my dog doesn't want to listen to me, I just ignore her, act like "oh well, do as you please" and she is butter....kinda the same way I treat women

Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,033,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
How did you end up with so many pets?

I have found when my dog doesn't want to listen to me, I just ignore her, act like "oh well, do as you please" and she is butter....kinda the same way I treat women
LOL!!!! I was actually thinking how quiet that house must be with so few!!!

Guess it's all in the perspective.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM

1,457 posts, read 3,463,618 times
Getting irritated won't help. Sounds like they need some training, which takes a lot of patience. Your pets will feel your tension when you're mad. Remember to take deep breaths in and release out slowly. Remember their love is unconditional, even when they don't listen to you. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:18 PM

1,864 posts, read 4,180,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Getting irritated won't help. Sounds like they need some training, which takes a lot of patience. Your pets will feel your tension when you're mad. Remember to take deep breaths in and release out slowly. Remember their love is unconditional, even when they don't listen to you. Good luck!

I agree your pets probally know you better then you know yourself. Many times I have been aggravated at something and maybe loose it for a moment. I can look at my pet and there like > "Ruh Ro...He's freakin out again...lol"

As for stopping to take a deep breath...I beleive if it comes to that, then what is the enjoyment of having a pet.

My hats off to everyone who fosters the unwanted pets in the world we live in. I tried before and just couldn't do it and work full-time

Old 11-19-2009, 08:22 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,279,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Also, Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) is a great principle. They have to sit for food, sit for a treat, sit to start play, etc. Or something, but sit is good. Turn your back to them, walk away, etc. Search the Dog forum for the words nothing, life, free and you will see a lot of discussion, better than mine, about how to do this. Good luck!
Exactly!

My puppers was extremely difficult for me to train. I'd never dealt with such a stubborn, and totally cute, dog. Even now, after nearly fourteen years together, he will still test me.

He still has to sit while I make his food, and until I give him a release command. Sometimes, when I forget to give him the release command, I'll walk out of the room and he's still sitting where I left him, waiting to eat. What a good boy!

It's easy once you get in the habit, STL. It's also a lot easier when everyone's on the same page. We know you love your animals...they''ll learn to repect you if you set those boundaries. And don't laugh when they do something goofy and misbehave! They know when the get over on you! And it encourages them! I think it's a conspiracy, but maybe not. []

We've all been there, I think. At least I have. Good luck ~

Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 AM

8,225 posts, read 14,945,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
pets? What can I do?

Thanks.
You're not going to like my answer:

TRAIN THEM. If they don't come when you call, it's because they are not trained to do so. Even my cats come when I call. My dogs responded with a simple snap of my fingers and a hand signal. It takes work to own pets.

If you love them, you will train them.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM

19,828 posts, read 56,060,783 times
Since she lives w/her parents, if all don't work off the same plan, she is not going to be able to do much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or