Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 AM

152 posts, read 221,340 times

Advertisements

What do u think Smartest pet is ?
dog? parrot ?Eagle ?(my cousin has one big powerful eagle ! )cat ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
Dogs are the smartest animals I've ever owned, though I think most animals (cats, birds, horses, pigs, ect) are pretty smart, each in their own way.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Dogs, especially border collies.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:43 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diako_lorddm View Post
What do u think Smartest pet is ?
dog? parrot ?Eagle ?(my cousin has one big powerful eagle ! )cat ?
I have had all sorts of pets from pigs, chickens and horses to dogs, cats and rabbits..one time had a baby bear when it's Mom got shot..didn't keep him long!! I have to say all animals have their own degree of smartness...Dogs are by far at the top. I have three cats and although some people think they are "sneaky", they too are clever and can learn. I have one kitty who use to fetch in her younger days. If you crinkled up a small piece of paper and tossed it, she would go get it, and bring it back to you so you could do it again.

The horses I have had didn't like me. One was a big palamino who use to walk back into the barn with ME on his back. The Appaloosa I had would run away with me or dump me off...so much for horses, they are far too opinionated and biased.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
I'd have to say dogs. I have a Border Collie mix who is one year old. The list of words she knows is unreal. She recently learned what "airplane" means since I say it to her when I hear an airplane go by. Now she looks for them. She knows "bird", "daddy", "kitty", in addition to all her basic commands. I've also taught her to kiss by touching her nose to mine and hug by putting her head on my shoulder. I can spit out a sentence and she seems to understand, like, "bring your toy inside." Her energy level is insane. She is definitely a brain and an athlete. I'll be starting her in agility soon. One of my cats I'd call smart. She knows her name and can open doors (with lever handles). But she doesn't have anything on my dog.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 AM

15 posts, read 46,930 times
Hmmmm...I'd honestly say parrots and cockatoos (large birds) and this is coming from me, owning a Border Collie. I worked at at pet store for about a year and there were a few birds that came in and out, but they were extremely intelligent, almost to human point. My favorite was a Goffin's Cockatoo that stayed for about six months before I left (he may still be there, I don't know) but he and I would share Spree candies from the vending machine, and he knew the words "vending machine" because I'd ask my boss if I could go to it and the bird would hop down into my purse and start ruffling through for my wallet that I took with me. If I came back without the Sprees, he'd tear apart the chair by his cage, run on the floor and attack my boots, and throw a huge hissy fit. Many other stories, but the large birds are definately at the top.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:59 PM

26 posts, read 55,476 times
My dog can open doors, so I would have to say Dogs. But yea, all pets are smart in their own way.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I understand that elephants are very smart aniamls, and they have a acute memory, don't ever get them mad, they will never forget you. They say that pigs are smart also, elephants for sure i know are smart.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:44 PM

68 posts, read 200,241 times
If we're just talking about pets kept commonly in America, I'd say certain birds*, then pot-bellied pigs, then rats and grey squirrels** tied for third. Dogs would come in fourth on my list.

*ccarpenter2010 only includes the larger birds but I'd include some others, including cockatiels. I have owned my first cockatiel for a little over two years and sometimes I'm flat out amazed at how smart he is. And when I say smart, I mean in terms of understanding of human language and the ability to observe, imitate, anticipate, strategize, and remember. It has been suggested to me that the intelligence of cockatiels has been underestimated because their owners don't tend to invest as much time in them (same goes with rats). My cockatiel has been with me nearly all of the time for his first two years and he does things that astound everyone he meets. I've owned dobermans, papillons, a collie and a border collie, and my bird is measurably smarter than any of those.

**Check out Animal Planet's list of top 10 smartest animals for the lowdown on squirrels and rats. Also interesting here are the notes on the crow, since crows and their closest relatives (mynahs, magpies, and ravens) are kept as pets fairly frequently.

Top 10 Smartest Animals: Creature Countdowns: Animal Planet

Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Without a doubt, the african grey parrot is the smartest of the common household pets. Do a little research on Alex, and you'll likely come to the same conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets