U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
 
511 posts, read 1,977,951 times
Reputation: 743

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about that It's a bummer when things like this happen. Moreso when the birds were actually cared for pets and not just food animals. If they get more birds, they should keep this sad incident in mind & buff up their coop for more protection, and possibly be prepared to trap & dispatch the raccoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,262,275 times
Reputation: 22342
OMG They let you have chickens in Redondo Beach? That is so cool.

Anyway, back to topic.

Raccoons aren't being "mean". They don't sit around smoking cigarettes and playing cards and one of them looks up and says...."Hey let's go kill some effing chickens".

They are simply raccoons. They eat what they eat and chickens just happens to fall into that category. It was nothing personal. They simply saw a big, easy meal and took advantage of it.

Give them a break.

Normally I would suggest that you coop up your chickens better, but I know for a fact that coons and foxes WILL find a way, no matter what. Unless you sit up all night with a shotgun, sooner or later you are going to be the host to a hungry band of marauders who are after your birds.

If Redondo Beach will permit it, you might consider some electric fencing (on the outside, natch), to help protect your fowl a little more aggressively.

But please, raccoons are just doing what they do. They are not bad animals. I know you are sad, but if YOU were a raccoon you would have done the same thing.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
7,342 posts, read 7,116,144 times
Reputation: 7523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post

Coons love meat when can get it. They are strong animals also so really have to keep things locked down.

Cure would be take carcass and dump anti-freeze in it to kill them or try to trap them in live trap and take away (relocates not always work) or just shoot them and sell hides.
I would never bait anything with the intent to kill it. And there are too many around here to start a relocation program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post

Sorry to hear about that It's a bummer when things like this happen. Moreso when the birds were actually cared for pets and not just food animals. If they get more birds, they should keep this sad incident in mind & buff up their coop for more protection, and possibly be prepared to trap & dispatch the raccoons.
They said they aren't getting any more. These were the mother's pets, and since she's deceased, there's no reason to replace them. They only kept them because they were pets to them by that point. They were really sweet chickens, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

Raccoons are very much omnivores. I am sorry for you and your neighbor. But I think it is a little unfair to characterize the raccoons as "mean." They need to eat like all animals; and they have babies to feed. They live here too; in fact they were here first. Anyone who keeps animals outside should be sure to protect them from raccoons, foxes, owls, rats and other animals that also live here. None of them are mean, they are just living their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

OMG They let you have chickens in Redondo Beach? That is so cool.

Anyway, back to topic.

Raccoons aren't being "mean". They don't sit around smoking cigarettes and playing cards and one of them looks up and says...."Hey let's go kill some effing chickens".

They are simply raccoons. They eat what they eat and chickens just happens to fall into that category. It was nothing personal. They simply saw a big, easy meal and took advantage of it.

Give them a break.

Normally I would suggest that you coop up your chickens better, but I know for a fact that coons and foxes WILL find a way, no matter what. Unless you sit up all night with a shotgun, sooner or later you are going to be the host to a hungry band of marauders who are after your birds.

If Redondo Beach will permit it, you might consider some electric fencing (on the outside, natch), to help protect your fowl a little more aggressively.

But please, raccoons are just doing what they do. They are not bad animals. I know you are sad, but if YOU were a raccoon you would have done the same thing.

20yrsinBranson
Oh fer cryin' out loud people, it was HYPERBOLE. I love all the wildlife around here. There was nothing cuter than seeing a baby possum running down the sidewalk leaving wet footprints behind it from taking a bath in our little pond. But when my yard is filled with the bloody remains of some family pets that I enjoyed having around, I would think that saying "Those mean raccoons killed my chickies" would be understood. But leave it to CDers to go over the deep end. <sigh>

And the chickens weren't ours, or on our property (until they were ripped apart), so I'm not going to be taking any steps to keep them out of my yard, especially electric fences. Thanks for all the advice, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,262,275 times
Reputation: 22342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Oh fer cryin' out loud people, it was HYPERBOLE. I love all the wildlife around here. There was nothing cuter than seeing a baby possum running down the sidewalk leaving wet footprints behind it from taking a bath in our little pond. But when my yard is filled with the bloody remains of some family pets that I enjoyed having around, I would think that saying "Those mean raccoons killed my chickies" would be understood. But leave it to CDers to go over the deep end. <sigh>
It's so hard to really get a handle on emotion when you are limited to the written word. I have gotten myself in Dutch a few times with attempts at sarcastic humor which were taken totally wrong.

I use a lot of *asterisks* and "quotes" and <silly html type tags> and even a smiley or two sometimes to try to put the emotion across with the words.

Apologies if I over-reacted.

By the way, there was just a "mean old raccoon" on my deck outside. And I could have *sworn* I smelled cigarette smoke. Maybe I have misjudged them.

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 12-07-2009 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: grammar police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
7,342 posts, read 7,116,144 times
Reputation: 7523
Apology accepted.

Now go tell those mean raccoons that they'll be dead raccoons if they don't put down the cancer sticks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Norwood, Massachusetts
1,752 posts, read 3,736,336 times
Reputation: 2989
I also did not understand your original post as hyperbole. I am glad to hear it. I volunteer at a couple of wildlife rehabilitation centers and believe me, there are many, many people who do see predatory behavior as "wrong," "cruel" or "mean." In one extreme example we had someone rush in a dove that had puncture wounds in its side and the person who brought it to us proudly explained that he killed the hawk that attacked the dove. He seemed honestly to expect us to thank him. So I took the post at face value. Thanks for clarifying. Glad to hear you won't be trapping the raccoons : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top