Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times

Advertisements

Sorry, the Sarah McL one I mentioned is not a graphic ad but a very sad and upsetting one to me. I cried the first 2 times I saw it so I quit watching it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Here are the links for the ones I mentioned earlier:
http://www.deltarescue.org, http://www.bestfriends.org, Home Page - Noah's Ark Animal Foundation

Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Does anyone feel that the HSUS emails and website has become increasingly more graphic? I know these terrible things sadly exist but I don't like to see them. I want to be able to sleep at night. I'm thinking of unsubcribing to the HSUS emails. I have emailed the HSUS and stated plainly I did not care for their graphic nature and that they have started to remind me of another group that uses such images to gain money and membership. I just want to make sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care for the shift.
I agree that the emails have become more graphic. In fact, I got a very disturbing email from the HSUS yesterday. It's at the point where I don't even want to read the emails anymore. I also don't want the magazine, "All Animals" or t-shirts. I think it's a waste of my donation money, and they need to give an online option to opt out (I had to call to opt out).

The ASPCA sent me a horrific story in 2006 that I will never be able to get out of my mind. It does seem like the "mainstream" organizations are making their outreach efforts more graphic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I hate the TV ads, esp. w/the music of Sarah McLochlan. I change the channel immediately when I hear the first strains f that music! I do support several animal charities that don't shove it in your face, one in particular is D.E.L.T.A. Rescue in Calif. He runs a no-kill, no-adopt shelter for about 1500 dogs and cats that he finds in the wildnerness. He doesn't accept animals from people.

I also support Best friends Animal Sancutary in southern UT b/c they also don't show bad stuff. They do adopt out - they're the ones who got the Victory dogs. Then there's Noah's Rescue, which goes to mass disaster events to help the animals - things like hurricanse, floods, earthquakes, etc.

So, there are choices that don't shove abuse in your face and I'm sure there are plenty that I don't know about. I also support certain local shelters that ar no-kill.
These commercials make me cry. I hope they are raising awareness, but I am already aware, and it just makes me feel sad and helpless.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,467,753 times
This deals with horses. Budweiser made absolutely no money on this ad; it was produced in honor of 9/11. It was aired only once.

I found this very poignant. But is is also very beautiful. It is a very soft approach, and there's not one of us who misses the point.

The Clydesdales are bowing on what was the site of the WTC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxxix0QQdU&NR=1

Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,844 times
The graphic ads turn me off. It's not that I can't handle them or that I don't want to know what is happening to animals, It's just that I don't like how they go for the shock when so many kids may see the ads. Like PETA posting fliers around the park of bloody, skinned dogs. Something needs to be done, yes, but don't post graphic photos around where my child is going to see them. She's innocent and dosen't need to see the world in that cruel light at her age.
I support Help For Homeless Pets in Montana, when I can afford it, and that's it. I won't support any of the organizations that use shock ads.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 PM

I agree about having the horror thrown in one's face. I agree that if you want to know what's happening to these animals, the answers are not far away. But one should seek the answers on their own, not have the images thrown in one's face.

There are many sites to visit if you really want to know what's happening. And not just ones with graphic pics, either.

There is one organization here in the Pacific Northwest, which is closely tied to and supported by Best Friends. They are much more realistic and direct than BF. However, you will never see any of their advertisements using shock value. Since I complained about one picture I found horribly offensive as soon as I opened their site, they have since posted warnings or graphic content.

I say god less them for being politically involved in getting laws on animal abuse passed and seeing prosecution of evil doers to the bitter end.

Give me a freakin' break with always bringing up this PETA crap. I've been on "hunter's sites" where their sole intent was to defame PETA...they are not above killing & using animal carcasses to do it, and then blame the slaughter on "animal activists." There have been "hunters" who have been arrested for traveling across international borders for doing just that. Ain't no saint in this business...money flows both ways.

When working in a shelter, I would see people start to cry when they turned their dog in (in this case, a very beautiful and frightened pittie girl). They, and their dog, knew full well what was going to happen to her. You simply can't escape and shield your child or yourself from every bad thing in the world.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,534,880 times
I can't watch them anymore, nor will my husband. If they focussed on the positive results, I think more people would be more inclined to watch and donate.

Of note, just bought Purina Cat Chow. It had the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon on and it said a portion of the sales goes to the foundation. Is it just me, or should Purina be donating to animal welfare? I'm all for curing breast cancer, but I getting a little tired of everything going to this foundation.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Of note, just bought Purina Cat Chow. It had the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon on and it said a portion of the sales goes to the foundation. Is it just me, or should Purina be donating to animal welfare? I'm all for curing breast cancer, but I getting a little tired of everything going to this foundation.
I can only give you the same answer you got in another thread where you posted this. Do you mean Purina should be donating to animal welfare instead of the Susan G. Komen foundation? I see nothing wrong with their doing that.

However, if it offends you, or you are getting tired of "everything going to this foundation" simply buy a different brand of food. Walk on down the aisle...sooner or later the companies will get the message.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:52 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
This deals with horses. Budweiser made absolutely no money on this ad; it was produced in honor of 9/11. It was aired only once.

I found this very poignant. But is is also very beautiful. It is a very soft approach, and there's not one of us who misses the point.

The Clydesdales are bowing on what was the site of the WTC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxxix0QQdU&NR=1
Thanks for posting this.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I can't watch them anymore, nor will my husband. If they focussed on the positive results, I think more people would be more inclined to watch and donate.

Well considering Purina is owned by Nestle and women are the still the primary target market in the grocery/ food sales industry...it makes perfect sense. I don't see a problem with it...keeping women alive generally benefits the animal welfare movement in a very meaningful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets