Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

We live way out in the country on 26 acres. A week or so ago, we set some chicken bones outside on the deck so that our cats would not nom on them during the night and a raccoon came along and helped him/herself to them.

Since then, I have been setting a bowl of dry cat food out every night for him/her. I have seen him twice nomming on the cat food. It's a beautiful creature and I am happy to help out with food.

Dh says I am going to make him dependent. I say "so what" I can keep feeding the food forever if necessary. I feel like maybe if I feed him then maybe he will not wander across the road to the neighbor's house and get run over on the highway. I figure that come spring there will be much better things for a raccoon to nom than stale old cat food, so I will not feed him when the winter is over. This is just to help him through the cold, lean times.

What do you think about it? Do you think I should quit feeding him or not?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:06 PM

110 posts, read 261,663 times
Sorry but it's probably not a good idea to feed him. My friend used to feed squirrels on her back porch. It seemed harmless until they became aggressive. The squirrels would bang on the back door in anger if food wasn't there. It's best not to make the racoon dependent upon you as a food source. He could lose his fear of humans and become a nuisance.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
My neighbor is currently doing this. Momma and 4 babies showed this spring. She has been feeding "A " feral cat outside. She thought the coons cute. They are almost full grown has 3 feral cats and 10 coons that show up for feeding.

I have a big dog, they came over one night scratching on my slider, and the possums show up looking for a meal also. They soon left my yard. I can't imagine how many will show up in the future if she continues to feed them. When I was over the other day she said there were only 5 - I looked out and counted. No I see ten. They hardly leave her yard. This is suburbs in the country with many greenbelts and on outer corner. My yard is spitting distance. Other than the one time they stay there permantly.

Who knows what they would do if she quit feeding them. They know food is in the house. Just thinking in property damage.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM

167 posts, read 597,626 times
I know someone who moved into a house that is way in the country. The previous owner had fed the wildlife. When the new owners moved in and did not feed the wildlife (squirrels and racoons), they did get very aggressive toward the family. This was completely the fault of the human who thought it would be nice to feed them, not thinking about the consequence of messing with the balance of nature.

So, I also agree, that the OP should not feed the wildlife. Let them fend for themselves as nature intended. You don't want them to forget how to find their own food.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
wayne-the-ex's next door neighbors have been feeding the raccoons since they moved into their house..... i think they have been up to about 10-15 or so..... and one of them killed my hobbes kitty when he got outside without my realizing it..... found him in the front yard when i came home the next day.....

raccoons can be pretty aggressive, on top of carrying rabies, fleas and any number of other diseases and parasites.......

and they are EXTREMELY dextrous (sp?) ..... can pry their way into all sorts of things.......

Old 12-13-2009, 07:07 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
Truth be told its probably best not too... besides making them dependant you could also be having rabies be an issue along with other diseases.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
If do set out food use corn and keep away from house and do not feed daily or make a pattern of it. Raccoons can be big pest,will get in garbage and all. They are wild animals and should be left to fend for themselves.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:04 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
My sister lives way out in the sticks. They've been feeding feral cats for years. Her DH has even built a shelter for them near the house for when it gets freezing. the cats are in an enclosed area there...they've never had problems with raccoons, though. but it's probably the raccoons who eat up their garden...

Feed the poor little critter...PS: If any raccoon came too near the house, it'd probably be its last day on earth. You haven't seen the mama cat that hangs around...huge, a fighter and scary (with the help of my sis's DH).

~Felina
Whose sister lives not too far from 20 yrs....I think it's called the boon docks.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
I personally would not feed them. They become dependent on you and not afraid of humans, which will likely eventually get them killed. If they are fine and not sick I would leave them alone. You want them to be afraid of humans. Most humans are not as kind as you are.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
OP - one thing you really have to consider REGARDLESS of the rights or wrongs of feeding a raccoon is that coons are perfectly willing and able to kill or severely injure cats.

So if you're setting out food where both coons and cats frequent, you are truly asking for trouble. Both are territorial creatures and neither is afraid of a bust-up in order to defend his patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets