Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 PM

10 posts, read 40,814 times

Advertisements

Regarding what to feed I can tell you that I fed 5 puppies pedigree little champions and they all died.
Little Champions never made it to the list of bad food but I know different.

When I see that stuff at the market it makes me want to run the other way.
Stick to organic foods no wheat I use Blue Buffalo only.
Yes it is expensive but I want my pets to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 02:54 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Heads-up, SeaLover:
Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd Issues Nationwide Recall of "Blue" Canned Dog Foods, "Blue Spa Select" Canned Cat Foods and "Blue" Dog Treats Manufactured At American Nutrition, Inc.

David *****
203-*******EXT. 17

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 27, 2007 -- Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd, Wilton, CT, is initiating a nationwide recall of all canned dog foods sold under its "Blue" dog food brand, all canned cat food sold under its "Blue Spa Select" cat food brand, and all dog treats sold under its "Blue" dog food brand. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning that the FDA has confirmed the presence of melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, in rice protein concentrate used by the contract manufacturer in the production of some of these products.

It should be noted the "Blue" canned dog and cat food products were not formulated or labeled to contain rice protein concentrate, and that the manufacturer, American Nutrition, Inc. added the rice protein concentrate to these products without Blue Buffalo Company's knowledge or consent.The FDA investigation into the inclusion of the rice protein by American Nutrition in Blue Buffalo's products is ongoing. >>>>>

PittBullMommie, this is what apparently happened with Natural Balance as well (according to their statement). Otherwise, it is, indeed, one of the good dog foods. We were feeding NB. But the Venison formulas weren't the only ones:

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-20-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Just saw posts by SamIAm in other thread & deleted repeat :>)

Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 PM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Lover View Post
Regarding what to feed I can tell you that I fed 5 puppies pedigree little champions and they all died.

OH my god.....that is so sad
I am in the process, after getting so much input on here (thank's a million, you guys!!! ) to switch my 2 pups over to a raw diet.
Funny, my "little 85 lb" pup didn't really know what to do with it, and spit it out at first (Maybe he is related to rabbits????? LOL )
Now, both of them just absolutely love it...
I am in the "switch" process, and still feed dry food at the moment (Solid Gold Wolf King)

Last edited by MB2; 06-20-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 06-20-2007, 09:07 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
That is so sad. Poor puppies.

I feed my dog NutraMax Holistic dog food - all natural & organic. I do not feed canned food, I prepare my own for him using fresh meat, vegetables and sometimes, brown rice.
I no longer give him Pupperoni treats, since the last container I bought turned out to be infested with bugs. It turns out there is a civil suit against Del Monte's Pet food division naming, among others, Pupperoni. Yet, it's still on the shelves. I'm making him homemade treats these days with organic peanut butter, eggs, chicken broth as some of the ingredients.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM

110 posts, read 609,128 times
Since the pet food scare, I feed my two bichons only Nature's Variety dry food. They haven't had any of their products recalled. I really like that they don't use any wheat, corn, or glutens and that their food doesn't have chemical preservatives, artificial colors or artificial flavorings, and no by-products. I have to drive thirty miles to a pet food store that carries it, but it's a small sacrifice.

A couple times when we ran out, I cooked ground beef or ground turkey and added mixed veggies and rice. The bichons love it.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
I use Natural Balance. No gluten, corn, or any other fillers, plus it is made with human-grade ingredients, not feathers and chicken feet.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:22 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I use Natural Balance. No gluten, corn, or any other fillers, plus it is made with human-grade ingredients, not feathers and chicken feet.
Check your list, some of the (Dick Van Patten's) Natural Balance has been recalled.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 AM

110 posts, read 609,128 times
Don't know if this has been posted already, but a site that has up-to-date listings of recalled pet food is: Pet Food information, manufacturers, products, ingredients, cat, dog, pet food.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:

Ohmygosh - I am so sorry to hear this. This whole pet food situation makes me livid. Fortunately we never had a problem, as we've been feeding Sold Gold right along, and they do well on it. But I truly feel for the many people who lost their pets. What heartache!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
Dogs don't get worms from Raw meat. That is a myth.

hmmm. supposedly people can, so why don't dogs?

Those of you feeding raw - any concern with the dogs getting too much protein?

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-21-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets