Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,024 times

Advertisements

ok I am confused about all differences in dog foods. I have been feeding my pug and 4 jack russells pedigree for years-never had a problem. I got a boxer pup for christmas that was starved (I think-she was awfully skinny) before we got her. I think the pedigree was giving her direhea. My VET told me to buy Eukanuba lamb and rice-which they were out when I got to petsmart so he told me to get Science Diet. She is doing great on this food and I have been slowly mixing in the pedigree because that is my choice of food. I had joined another site and they were all but screaming at me for this choice. I cannot find the brands they suggest except for online. I found Canidae in town but holy cow!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I was wanting to use Eukaunba because they have the breed specific food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinoz22 View Post
ok I am confused about all differences in dog foods. I have been feeding my pug and 4 jack russells pedigree for years-never had a problem. I got a boxer pup for christmas that was starved (I think-she was awfully skinny) before we got her. I think the pedigree was giving her direhea. My VET told me to buy Eukanuba lamb and rice-which they were out when I got to petsmart so he told me to get Science Diet. She is doing great on this food and I have been slowly mixing in the pedigree because that is my choice of food. I had joined another site and they were all but screaming at me for this choice. I cannot find the brands they suggest except for online. I found Canidae in town but holy cow!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I was wanting to use Eukaunba because they have the breed specific food.
Putting the Boxer back on Pedigree might find her having severe diarrhea once again as it's loaded with corn. In fact, without looking at their website I'd say corn is most likely the first ingredient.

I'm lost as to why you say "holy cow" about Canidae??

Old 01-01-2008, 11:49 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm lost as to why you say "holy cow" about Canidae??
People usually say that when they find out how much it costs. They are used to paying $12 for a 50 pound bag of crap from the grocery store or Wal Mart.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:51 PM

the price of the canidae is rediculous. I don't mind spending the money for good food but science diet, authority and eukanuba is about as much as I want to spend. When i have to buy for 5 dogs (which yes I understand that that is my choice to have that many) the cost of the 4 and up levels of dog food are not feasable. Has anybody or does anybody have any issues with those three? They were still middle grade like a 3 i think but I was truly hoping those would be ok to give them

Old 01-01-2008, 10:45 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
I make my own food and in a pinch use Wellness canned.

greenie

Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinoz22 View Post
the price of the canidae is rediculous. I don't mind spending the money for good food but science diet, authority and eukanuba is about as much as I want to spend. When i have to buy for 5 dogs (which yes I understand that that is my choice to have that many) the cost of the 4 and up levels of dog food are not feasable. Has anybody or does anybody have any issues with those three? They were still middle grade like a 3 i think but I was truly hoping those would be ok to give them
Just curious as to the amount of food your dogs eat of the Pedigree? Using dry measure cups my two Border Collie mixes eat 2 cups a day. My employer's pugs all eat only one third a cup a day. Your terriers without a doubt would eat more than the Pug. You're the only one who can choose what you feed, however I'm guess you go through a bag of Pedigree faster than you would Canidae Scient Diet is corn based and by-product filled. Please don't think I'm putting you down, jus and what they put in them.t the foods, not overly familiar with Authority and Eukanuba has changed a lot since P&G bought them years ago, they used to be fairly decent before that.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Have you considered feeding raw? It can work out to be less expensive and is quite healthy - there's little to no waste. I'm feeding 7 dogs, 6 Rotties and a mutt - I would guess our food bill runs $80-100/mo. for chicken and some yogurt - we get the veggies free from the local grocery store. It's a little more work but you get all the good stuff and don't worry about recalls!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
Sorry I haven't read all the posts. I'm not bought into the whole raw diet thing for domesticated dogs. First of all these are domesticated animals and have been so for thousands of years unlike wolves. Domesticated dogs also evolved following humans around and turned basically into scavangers. Domesticated dogs have not hunted fresh meat for a very long time.

Lots of dogs do have allergies but it isn't so much about the meat itself (although lots of dogs are allergic to chicken) but the other stuff that is put in it like corn (which is completely undigestible to dogs), unknown biproducts, (I am not against biproducts just the unknown part), preservatives and dyes are also big triggers.

I feed the veterinary formula brand of dog food because it doesn't have any byproducts, corn or preservatives amoung other things. It also contains probiotics and a good balance of omega 3s and 6s. I used to feed Iams and it isn't much more than the iams. I think if you are comparing to the plan old Purina dog chow, it is significantly more expensive but if you compare it to some of the other "premium" products of Purina and Iams, etc. it isn't that much more and the recommended daily amounts are less. I have one 40 lb dog who eats about 2 cups daily of the VF. A 40 lb bag costs me about $30 and lasts me at least a month. I am considering switching to Canidae because a dealer is closer and it isn't that much more than the VF and I know it is a very good brand as well.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 PM

62 posts, read 230,874 times
I think it all boils down to how much you are willing to spend to try and prolong your dogs life.

If you want to buy Walmart food, odds are you shorten their life. Period. If you buy a reputable, "natural" food --Merrick, Newman's, Innova, Wellness, etc--you give them a better chance at a longer healthier life.

As for raw, I know many people who love it. I personally don't. My dogs are domesticated and thus, eat a "domestic" diet (wellness). But even raw is better than Kirkland, Iams, Purina, etc.

Read what is really in dog food:

Get The Facts

Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 AM

Its not that I don't love my dogs-every dog I have owned in my lifetime has been on the pedigree. The only dog that I didn't have on it is my husband's english bulldog because it gave him the runs. So I really like it-just never realized it was so bad for them. As far as how much they eat-right now with the boxer being so tiny and skinny I would say she eats anywhere from 6-8 cups a day. This is only until I get her to her healthy weight and then will cut back. I have noticed if I stay with the lamb and rice formula it is more like 4-6 cups. The smaller dogs get about 2 cups and same with them-I have noticed on the lamb and rice they don't eat so much. We have them on the eukanuba strictly because my vet swears by it. When the boxer gets to where I am not feeding her so much I am most likely going to switch to the Canidea as every site I have been to swears by it. I don't do raw because I don't cook for my family so I won't for my dogs. I have also noticed on the lamb and rice everyone seems to have less gas-so besides the canidea-any ideas on a good brand that has the lamb and rice formula? What about Authority? It is in my price range-still not good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets