Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,553 times

Advertisements

Hi. We have a 9 yr old cat and just bought a beagle who is 12 weeks old.

Our Beagle keeps going over to the cat for a sniff, and the cat keeps taking a swipe. But the Beagle doesnt learn, he keeps going back. Out of curiousity and wanting to play. I now know that 1st impressions are a lot for a cat, and you're not supposed to just put them together and hope for the best. Unfortunately its too late for 1st impressions as I've only just gotten to reading material about the problem. (We've only had him for a few days, but I guess thats too late for 1st impressions?)

I read cats will only attack if they are cornered (he isnt), or to defend territory so figure it must be this.
I read cats will "bluff" sometimes - just puff up, swipe without the claws out. I think he did at first but now its getting worse, the cat is getting more vicious.

Its scary when theres a confrontation, I pick up the dog and take him away. Im worried the dog is going to wound up hurt. Beagles have floppy ears which are prone to injury.

So any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM

18,324 posts, read 18,932,711 times
I think the cat is just telling the dog this is his house and to forget about being pals. the dog will learn to leave the cat alone. after awhile the cat will get used to the dog. I would make sure the cat has a place that it can get away from the puppy. the puppy will be very playful for a long time and I am sure the cat would prefer not to be bothered by it, so make sure that cat can get away from it. do you have a cat tree or a window box where it can watch the dog but the dog can't get to it. I would let them alone and only step in if it looks like the cat will hurt the dog.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,367,573 times
Dogs tend to be dumb when cats whoop their ass, I know Dakota is. He still hasnt learned 3 years later!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,650,825 times
keep the puppy behind a child's gate when you aren't right there w/them. Give the cat a sanctuary where the dog can't go, a child's gate works fine.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,553 times
Thanks for the help, I'll keep them in mind. Havent took any of the suggestions yet but the cat is attacking much less often

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM

622 posts, read 1,717,355 times
There just being animals.. its a natural thing, the cat may think of the puppy as a predator... i think you should spend more time with the puppy or get him a friend

Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,650,825 times
I have had any number of cats and dogs that loved each other. One cat used to go sleep in the dog's crate; I wouldn't always see him in the morning, the dogs went in and I shut the door while I went to work. At night, when I opened the door, the cat was always mad at me but he was completely unhurt. Those dogs each weighed about 65-70 bs, in a crate for a previous Gt Dane.

My current crop doin't play together but it's only b/c I have a youngster dog who is too rambunctious for the cats' tastes.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
Our dogs were always gentle, so the cats kept them in line! My Great Dane and tortoiseshell cat were best friends, although she'd take a swipe at him if he bothered her with his big face.

Goggie « Lolcats 'n' Funny Pictures of Cats – I Can Has Cheezburger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets