Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If your husband said "It's either me or the pet", how many would keep the man around ?
My pets come before my man... always. No contest. I couldn't live without having a few around. And when on road trips, I prefer a dog's company to a human being's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
You guys warm my heart! Such a nice read on a Sunday. Love all the photos, too.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Loves, it's so cute how Callie had her little beauty spot even as a kitten.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
I have 2 cats Bindi and Leopalorn.

Bindi I got at 7- 8 weeks old as a free to good home kitten- hes small, almost all black and has a kinked tail. my dad was dating a woman that had a litter of 6 kittens she was trying to find homes for. Long story short Bindi became mine and grew up with my mom and dads. Dad remerried about 2 years ago

Leopalorn is a purebred Somali. I got from an Iowa breeder, Artshow somalis Ray Benter.

Right now Bindi at 3 lives with me at our group home I'm going to bring Leopalorn over in Feb. Leopalorn will be 3 this April

Leopalorn has it all, looks... niceness and very playful. Bindi is more aggressive and willful personalityed but Bindi has calmed down alot sense he moved away from my moms cat Monty. They used to fight alot, I never knew why, both were neutered. Bindis favrote toy is Da bird he loves it!

I have had many adventures with Bindi I had him trained to walk on a leash and harness and he went outside with me and we hunted birds together and trapped a chimpmonk in a neighbors drainpipe, I went exploring with him once, and got caught by police for trusspassing- the crime- walking a black cat in a yard- PLLEASE! He liked to roam and wonder around, but I made him indoor only after he started darting out the door and causing issues. Someday I may build an outdoor enclosure but I dont want bad things to happen and I havn't the money to build one myself. Leopalorn tried the harness too... but he was never as much a fan of it as Bindi and besides him being purebred and "$$" could be stolen.

I wish I could have them outside with me in my new garden but the danger is too great

Old 01-11-2010, 04:42 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My pets come before my man... always. No contest. I couldn't live without having a few around. And when on road trips, I prefer a dog's company to a human being's.

no man for me right now .... and likely not again .... just been there and done that and don't have the desire or the energy to do it again.....

but you are SO right...... i'm a package..... love me, love my 2 dogs and 2 cats as well or forget it........

Old 01-11-2010, 04:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have to ask you ladies a question. In the last year, my SO received a great little Havanese dog that knocked me down to about number 5 on her list of favorite people after kids, etc.

If your husband said "It's either me or the pet", how many would keep the man around ?

My wife says I can be replaced but her dog can't. I guess I know where I stand.

my ex actually pulled something similar on me ..... i had 2 cats when we met..... one died from kidney failure at 18 and the other was killed by a critter when he escaped outside a few years later...... the ex was NOT a pet person and so told me that the only way i could get another cat was to get an abyssinian.... because they don't shed........ ..... went to a few shows and talked to a few breeders and just could NOT bring myself to pay $400-$500 for a cat to be a PET when so many were in shelters needing homes......

when we separated a few years after that..... i was down at the shelter the 2nd or 3rd day i was in my new house..... heck, i still had a million boxes left to unpack..... but i HAD to get my new fur-family started......

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
my ex actually pulled something similar on me ..... i had 2 cats when we met..... one died from kidney failure at 18 and the other was killed by a critter when he escaped outside a few years later...... the ex was NOT a pet person and so told me that the only way i could get another cat was to get an abyssinian.... because they don't shed........ ..... went to a few shows and talked to a few breeders and just could NOT bring myself to pay $400-$500 for a cat to be a PET when so many were in shelters needing homes......

when we separated a few years after that..... i was down at the shelter the 2nd or 3rd day i was in my new house..... heck, i still had a million boxes left to unpack..... but i HAD to get my new fur-family started......
Many of us can really relate

Old 01-13-2010, 07:41 AM

The money IS worth it though I've gone the purebred AND the free to good home surprise friends litter rote.

Both cats turned out qute nicely. Both are friends and both couldnt have had different outcomes.

For my suitation a purebred IS better because.

Many breeders have contracts prohibit declawing- justice can be done if it happens behind my back. Breeder can fine group home for breaking contract- hense justice is done.

Many/most breeders will take cat back if life issues change proventing the animal shelter from getting involved. a good idea

Purebreds can be nicer and less wild/aggressive.. A run of the mill cat is more apt to be aggressive.wilder.

These reasons are why purebreds of the right type are better for my suitation I think as cat has a more stable sacure future.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:23 AM

153 posts, read 238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
How many nicknames do you have for your cats? Mine all have a ton and they seem to answer to them all. I swear I am going to start a blog titled "Did I really just say that to my cat?". I find myself saying the strangest things. One time when I just had two cats they were playing and knocked over a small tv and I caught myself telling them not to look at me like they didn't know who did it.
Let's see - my husband has lots of names for our cat, and she answers to them all. There's "God D--n Cat" (I shortened it to GD Cat), "Sad Sack Good For Nothing Lazy Piece of S--t Cat", "Fur Licking A-- Hole", and "Lazy A-- Cat". When we got her, we originally named her "Pepper", but that fell by the wayside. She's now known basically as "GD Cat", because I don't like to call her swear words (unless she breaks something).

Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM

I call my cats Binde... bin... Lepe... Lepa

Useally by their orgaional names but sometimes I get creative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets