U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,211,035 times

Advertisements

The thread that originally began me searching around is now locked - with good reason. - this is a very controversial subject, and brings strong emotions out.

After spending the last half hour in tears holding my kitties, I decided to write this. (I don't wish to anger the mods! so I will try to strictly keep to the question at hand, and not the larger debate on horrific details)

This was about the koreans/chineese caging cats and dogs and eating them, and the treatment. It came with graffic videos and disturbing literature, and I went googling for more information on my own after it was closed. (as suggested) My goodness. I remember one of my exes, had a favorite DVD collection of hard to find videos called "Faces of Death" - the only ones that ever got to me were the animals. There was one inparticular showing the delicasy of Monkey brains, and how they had private tables with a hole in the middle of them, that the monkey sat it (lowered) in the center, so just the head was exposed) the diners were given tiny wooden mallets to beat the monkey over the head. I lost it when the video panned underneath the table to the tiny monkey holding onto the bars of his cage in the table while screaming as he was being mauled on the head. Then the video cuts back to them taking the dead monkey away and cooking the brains for the diners to enjoy. ...But my question to you guys (and I thought about putting this under the food category, but that just seemed silly) - Do you eat seafood? I've never had much of a taste for it, but the same logic applies to the fine dining restaurants that I look into the window at - you know, where you see the lobsters floating around in their cages, and you can point out which one you want - and they'll cook it for you while you wait. I know its a horrid thought in our minds, perhaps because we keep cats and dogs as pets, and maybe these people don't - but is there any difference? Cats and dogs have feelings.. but doesn't everything? Shoot.. when I was 7, you couldn't convince me that the deflated intertube at the bottom of our pool didn't have feelings.. his name was Sponge. I cried the day Dad threw him away. But I digress... Do you parrot owners eat chicken? Do you feel a little iffy? You turtle owners (where are they when you need 'em!) - do you think your turtles have feelings? I don't not eat seafood because I care about their feelings. I have just never really liked the look, smell, or taste of seafood in general! I guess living in Maryland just makes one more reason for me to not fit in.

No where could I seem to isolate whether the anger was towards the general idea of eating cats and dogs (like we do lobsters) - or whether it was over the treatment. - if you're going to argue treatment... I would suggest researching into the mass-plants they have where they slaughter cows and chickens and what not on a daily basis for food in the US. We're just as bad.

I'm not picking a fight, and I'm not voicing angry outburts as to how animals are treated or why - I'm asking as pet lovers (assumedly) where do you draw the line? Are you vegetarians? I wouldn't hesistate to scoop up every sad doggie and kitty I saw waiting incages to be starved, tortured, then eaten - and take them home and love them forever!!! ...but I'd probably stop by McDonalds on the way back. Am I a walking contradiction? Or are we just desensitized as a nation to how it's done?

A friend I work with is Jewish. Along with animal plant facilities, I know next to nothing about being jewish - but I began listening as she was explaining what "kosher" meant. And I was quite thrilled to hear it had everything to do with the way the animals are killed humanely, almost in reverence and appreciation, to eat. Oh -and all this time that I was feeling bad about them boiling lobsters alive - apparently members of the crustacean family can't feel it

Just for the record, I am not a vegetarian. Never have felt the impulse to even entertain the thought. Being jewish on the other hand... just for the way they go about eating their animals, has got to stop and make you wonder. - and no, I'm not Jewish either.

Edited to include:
If this gets too far off-topic, or too far back onto the topic that was closed as previously mentiond above, I'm sorry. I respect you closing it for whatever reason, and wasn't trying to push the line by beginning a new thread that was triggered due to the information at hand from it.

I don't know where this fits.. Religion? Pets? Food? It kind of affects all of the topics for me. I'm just worried and confused, and wondering any one else's take on it in general.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-28-2010 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,127,512 times
For what it's worth, you just explained why I became a vegetarian. It stopped making sense to me that I would work all day to save the life of a dog and then go home and eat a pig. Don't get me wrong, I believe people should eat what they want and if I weren't lucky enough to live in a place where I can easily get alternative protein sources, I wouldn't risk my health for an ideal. It's just that for me personally, being a vegetarian just fits better.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,091,751 times
Nothing good can come from this topic, it gets reposted all the time, and locked all the time. We have pets, we eat meat. Other countries dont keep dogs and cats as pets, but as food. Some countries have a religious belief that the cow is sacred...... threads like this get fueled with anger because people are irrational when it comes to the thought, that possibly, just for a moment, not everyone has the same viewpoint they have. And since the points of view on this subject will never have a level playing field, we can sit and watch the animosity build. As long as you are true to yourself and your belief system, it really does not matter what anyone else thinks. You can eat meat and still be an animal activist / animal lover. If others are offended by people eating meat, they need to realize that they are in fact part of the problem and not the solution. They fuel the issue with anger instead of rational thinking, be rational peeps... we are human.... we have fire..... we grill animals for food..... get over it and grill

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,302,155 times
The meat I eat is not my pets. Simple as that.

Our main meat is venison and caribou. Hubby hunts and fishes.

The deer heard needs control. The best way to make my point is to tell you what happen 1/2 mile from our house about three years ago. A deer was hit by a pick-up truck, flipped across the road into the path of a small car. When though the window of the car. Kicked until was it dead.

Have you ever seen a child that died in the back seat with a deer?? Neither have I. The casket was closed.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,980,891 times
I agree with Driller. I do rescue work and have for a long time. I adore all animals. But I still eat meat. My issue with other countries - and some areas of our own - is the way the animals are cared for before slaughter, and the slaughter methods themselves. I think they should be kept humanely and I think the slaughter needs to be instant. I have no problem with people eating cats, dogs, horses, etc. Eat what you want, but again, make sure the slaughter is immediate.

ETA - they've done studies on lobsters. They have very primitive bodies / brains. As soon as they are dropped into the boiling water it immediately short circuits their brain. They don't suffer as long as the water is actually boiling when they are dropped in. But no I don't eat lobster. I'm highly allergic to seafood. If it weren't for that, I'd still eat it. Pick my own lobster to send to it's watery death? Nope. I couldn't do that. Hubby and I actually thought of buying a couple hundred acres and living off the land. Growing our own food, raising our own livestock. Until we realized we could never kill them. We thought we'd send them off to slaughter a couple times a year and just freeze the meat that comes back, but we couldn't even load them on a truck to send them off. We'd make lousy farmers. But something pre-packaged from a store? That doesn't bother me. As long as I wasn't the one putting it on a truck.

However, if it came to feeding my family or watching them starve, I know I could do what I need to for my family. We wouldn't starve and we wouldn't go veg. I'd probably cry a lot, but we'd eat meat.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Come to think about it, my pets eat animals too.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,211,035 times
Thankyou for all of the honesty, guys.

Old Man Winter, I didn't realize this was beating a dead horse by posting this topic, I'm sorry - and I didn't mean to offend anyone with my ideals, I suppose I am still searching for what makes me comfortable, so who am I to point a finger , I'm askin for fingers!

I couldn't handle the thought of all those animals being needlessly put to sleep at shelters, but watching the videos of what's going on in China puts them into an almost sacred prospective. Quick humane deaths, I don't think should be against my moral lines. But it's hard to draw the line on animal suffering or not. I don't feel bad for the kitties that are put to sleep, I feel bad for the months or years they spent looking out on a world that wouldn't love them from inside of their cage before they went. Such is life, I am learning.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
i consider myself an animal lover, but i could NEVER be a vegetarian...... ..... BUT, i want to buy my meat at the store under plastic wrap and not know how it got there..... cowardly, i know, but it is how i have had to make peace with myself.....

i cooked my own lobsters ONCE many years ago..... never again.....

Old 01-29-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i consider myself an animal lover, but i could NEVER be a vegetarian...... ..... BUT, i want to buy my meat at the store under plastic wrap and not know how it got there..... cowardly, i know, but it is how i have had to make peace with myself.....

i cooked my own lobsters ONCE many years ago..... never again.....
LOL I gut the deer, hang, cut up the meat and grind the burger. Then I package and shrink rap it. Freezer is full, life is good.

BTW, this is not cheaper. Hunting is expensive.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,851,685 times
I love meat but i love animals too. Some animals were meant to be food and some were meant to be companions. Some cultures view animals differently. I cant hate the chinese because they like cat burgers. Americans like pork or cattle and other countries some of these animals are sacred. Its all relative to where you live and how you were brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or