U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,417,259 times

Advertisements

Yes I used too before I woke up and knew better.

Most pet food is so horrible a kid 'could' get very sick/and possabily die from it. i'm surprised there isnt any news stories of it happening. that stuff is for ANIMALS not PEOPLE.

The brands mentioned here are among the lowest of the low,( a good way of telling that is to look at the stuff in shelters/advertized on TV or in vet offices all that stuff is basically nothing more then garbage in a pretty bag) so I would NOT allow kids to eat petfood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 PM

519 posts, read 914,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Most pet food is so horrible a kid 'could' get very sick/and possabily die from it. i'm surprised there isnt any news stories of it happening. that stuff is for ANIMALS not PEOPLE.
Don't be such a drama queen. It's not poison.

There's nothing in pet food that is (or could be) dangerous to humans - it's just really gross entrails and substandard cereals.

Pretty gross - but I bet it has less fat, salt and sugar in it then McDonalds - which has BTW been in the news many times for making kids sick and shortening human life spans.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,018,632 times
My parents told me when I was two I ate our Toy Manchester Terrier's food all the time, to the point he ran away from home. Must have been pretty good food.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 PM

511 posts, read 1,978,732 times
Hehe... I have a story... You know that Chex Mix recipie that calls for chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar? It goes by several names... Well, as kids we called it Puppy Chow.

Anyways, one day we were dogsitting for our friend's. They brought over their dog's food in a little tupperware container. It was sitting on the counter, and my little sister walked into the kitchen. She said, "Oh yum, Puppy Chow!" and before anyone could say anything she scooped up a handful and popped it in her mouth. My mom and I just stared at her slack jawed, confused... we didn't understand right away that she thought it was Chex Mix lol lol lol! Ohhhhhh the look on her face as she suddenly spit it out!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:42 PM

4,706 posts, read 10,130,741 times
Ok I admit I did try some milkbones when I was little. My Great Grandmother who had dementia use to buy Alpo canned dog food and eat it instead of human food

I also have to confess in College we had an instructor that use to eat M&M's while he lectured. I bet some one I could replace the M& M's with dry cat food and he would eat a few handfuls before he noticed soooo one day I had some one distract him and I took his M&M's and replaced it with an M&M bag filled with dry cat food and sure enough it took a couple handfuls before he made a face and spit it out saying " what the #@**" 20 some years later I was at a convention with a friend and ran into him and the first thing he did was tell her about the cat food M&M incident. I offered to go right then and buy him a bag of M&M's and for some strange reason he refused the offer

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,856,300 times
NO NO a thousand times NO. Don't like something moving in me, as i am digesting it, makes me sick. Not even dog food. Sensitive stomach.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I dont know why I did but I use to eat dog food. I use to feed it to my baby sister too. I was cruel. Its not as good as it looks
Hmmm...do you sleep with one eye open?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM

76 posts, read 153,841 times
Milkbone here. LOL

Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,707,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post

The brands mentioned here are among the lowest of the low,( a good way of telling that is to look at the stuff in shelters/advertized on TV or in vet offices all that stuff is basically nothing more then garbage in a pretty bag) so I would NOT allow kids to eat petfood.
So true, even a lot of pets have died from pet food, a lot of it isn't even fit for them. I'm surprised some people aren't aware of this. It was plastered all over the news a few years ago when there were so many pet food recalls due to dying cats and dogs.

But I did eat some Friskies when I was little, maybe 2 or 3, to this day I can still remember the taste. And as a teenager, my best friend gave me some "chocolate"; it was actually a chocolate flavored (not real chocolate, of course) dog treat. She thought it was hilarious.

Pet Food - Hidden Danger to Kids

In addition to the more obvious choking hazard of dry pet food, there is the more hidden hazard that parents may not be aware of -- the recalls of pet food because of contamination with Salmonella. According to the CDC, as of October 2008, there have been 79 cases of Salmonella infections in 21 states from contaminated dog and cat food.

Since there have been at least 13 recall announcements involving 135 pet products since 2006...

ASPCA | Pet Food Recall Overview

On March 16, 2007, Menu Foods announced a nationwide recall of more than 40 popular brands of pet food. The contaminated products—including well-known brands like Iams, Eukanuba, Purina and Science Diet—were causing severe, and often fatal, kidney problems in dogs and cats. Nearly180 brands of wet and dry food were eventually added to the recall list

Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM

18,789 posts, read 4,922,506 times
When I was a teenager my boyfriend gave me a young puppy. I bought some baby cereal to feed him and was standing in the checkout line. I said "when he's a little older we can feed him dog food". Not knowing I was talking about a dog people were giving us funny looks and shaking their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets