Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,797,628 times

Advertisements

Our little Basenji/Chiwawa mix (a rescue dog) has a slipped disc in his neck. We've taken him to the vet and she prescribed keeping him immobile as much as possible and gave us some muscle relaxants and prednazone (or something like that). She said that it should get better in two weeks but it appears that it's not getting better, but worse.

We have a hard time keeping him completely immobile and in a cage 24 hours a day and wondered if there were any recommendations from you pet owners out there in CD land that have had any similar experiences. It hurts so much to see the little guy in pain and I'm about ready to take him back to the vet and see if surgery is the answer.

But, before that I wanted to see what some of the good folks on this forum might recommend (both in medication and therapy). I was hoping to find some kind of collar that would keep his neck entirely immobile to help the healing process but haven't had any luck. Please help if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,152,258 times
So sorry to hear about your little guy.

Our small male terrier mix has invertebrate disc disease. He did a course of prednisone and did get better, although it took about a month. The vet said there was a 20% chance it would recur and he could end up paralyzed.

I didn't crate him. I kept him separated from his sister when we weren't home and watched him like a hawk when we were. I built "stairs" out of pillows so he could get on the couch and brought his food and water to him when he didn't feel like getting up. By the third week, I could tell he was feeling better, but still kept him as quiet as possible.

He's pretty much back to normal, except we can't go as far when we walk.

Hope your baby gets better soon!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,897,765 times
First, search for a second opinion. Find a vet who specializes in orthopedic surgery. Call friends who would know such a vet.

Second, the meds that are given to your dog is probably flexiril (muscle relaxant) and prednisone (steroid) both helps with the swelling, but not the pain. If the vet will not give you a narcotic to ease your Basenji's pain, try 1/2 tab of 325mg tylenol (liquid form will do great!). Use cold compresses to the area until you find the right vet.

Third, I think the vet wants to see how severe the pain your Basenji is experiencing. Unfortunately, our furry family members can not tell us their ailment, but their behavior says it all. They're not being sadistic. It sounds like they're doing a good job. Make sure you tell everything to your vet of what your Basenji is going through this course of treatment. Also, see if they can give you a narcotic or sedative until the next course of action for your lil' one.

Please tell us your course of action. I wish you and your Basenji the best!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Thank you both very much for the advice, it really helps. I hate to see him in pain, and he's such a trooper that he won't even whine or whimper - he just curls up into a ball and can hardly move. The vet gave us Robaxin (muscle relaxant, or that's what she said) and prednisone (steroid). Everything seemed like it was getting better until today when the prescribed instructions said to give him only one prednisone every other day. Up until we stopped giving him prednisone, he seemed to be pain free most of the time.

I had to give him a prednisone anyway - couldn't stand to see him in pain and that seemed to help, he's much better.

I think the vet is a good one, but I just wanted to get some opinions from pet owners, some of the most knowledgeable people about such things.

Once again, thanks very much.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times
I would do what the vet says BUT before you try sugery try a chiropractor. Ask around for 1 in your area.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Thanks Katie1. They have pet chiropractors or would it be a regular chiropractor?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times
A people one could answer that better than me. But there are pet ones out there. Here in W Va people drs can lose their lic if they treat pets. & since I have yet to locate a pet one I looked on the internet. All I could come up with were too far away. So I ended up buying a book from a pet chiropractoc dr. With that and my dogs vet & my chiropractor it helps my corgi. BUT she HAS not been hurt like your dog & If you do some thing wrong it could make it worse or kill.

1st please try to find a dr. Where are you located if I may ask?

Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,790,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Our little Basenji/Chiwawa mix (a rescue dog) has a slipped disc in his neck. We've taken him to the vet and she prescribed keeping him immobile as much as possible and gave us some muscle relaxants and prednazone (or something like that). She said that it should get better in two weeks but it appears that it's not getting better, but worse.

We have a hard time keeping him completely immobile and in a cage 24 hours a day and wondered if there were any recommendations from you pet owners out there in CD land that have had any similar experiences. It hurts so much to see the little guy in pain and I'm about ready to take him back to the vet and see if surgery is the answer.

But, before that I wanted to see what some of the good folks on this forum might recommend (both in medication and therapy). I was hoping to find some kind of collar that would keep his neck entirely immobile to help the healing process but haven't had any luck. Please help if you can.
You need to take him to an orthopedic vet if you haven't already. And yes you really shouldn't be handling him or allowing him to move much. Did they stabilize his neck with a brace or anything? That would be recommended as well. I hope he gets better. I am working through a fractured spine in one of my rescues now so I understand that keeping them immobile for their best interest is hard but it has to be done. Talk to your vet about sedation if you are having real troubles keeping him still. Good luck.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:59 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,200,288 times
I also suggest a second opinion from a vet whose specialty is orthopedics. If you're into holistic medicine at all, I have witnessed acupuncture work on dogs for some things.

Sorry to hear about him being in pain, please give him a gentle hug for me.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times
What everybody else said and you may want to investigate acupuncture as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets